main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Jar Jar Binks had another path planned out?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jewlmc, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc

jewlmc Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    This isn't meant to be a "Jar Jar SUX!!" bashfest. But do you think that he was intended for far greater things than...well...being a blip on the radar screen in ROTS? I always thought that he would redeem his bumbling ways by saving the twins lives or something. Did you think the same? Even if you hated Jar Jar, are you suprised he was so phased out?

Was it a case of Lucas succumbing to fan pressure, or did he just realize that Jar Jar didn't really belong? Or I suppose there is the possibility this was always planned. But judging from his large amount of screen time in TPM I really don't believe that.

Strilo edit: We already have a Jar Jar discussion thread for stuff like this... :)

2. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    Jar Jar had a lot of screen time in TPM for several reasons:

1. He was intended to appeal to kids, which Lucas felt the movie needed because there was a lot of stuff going on that would go over their heads (i.e., the politics).

2. The Naboo blockade was a major plot point, and Jar Jar was like the unwitting ambassador between the humans and the Gungans.

3. Lucas was using him as a testing ground for technology, to see if a character with a large part in a movie could be rendered entirely in CGI.

With AOTC and ROTS, the story was getting progressively darker and less kid-friendly; the Naboo blockade had been resolved and was no longer a major plot point; and the technology had already proven itself.

So no, I don't believe Lucas cut down Jar Jar's role in response to criticism. (I also don't believe Jar Jar was nearly as hated as we're supposed to believe he was.) I think Jar Jar wasn't intended to have a major role in Episodes 2 and 3 anyway, although it's worth noting that, although his role in AOTC is small, it's still important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.