main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Luke is a Jedi Knight? Really?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediYvette , Oct 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I don't think Luke qualifies to be a Jedi. Obi-Wan was around 25 when he became a Jedi Knight in TPM. He had around 20 years of training. However, Luke has only 1-3 years of training. Something isn't adding up right...What do you think?

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Luke completed his training and faced the final test. He became a Jedi Knight.

3. Jedimama

Jedimama Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 1999
    Yoda:"NO more training do you require. Already know you, that which you need."

Luke:"Then I am a Jedi.."

Yoda:"Not yet. One thing remains. Vader. You must confront Vader. Then - only then - a Jedi will you be."

I, for one, am not going to contradict Yoda. ;)

Yoda said it, Luke did it.

"I am a Jedi. Like my father before me."

4. jedigean

jedigean Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2001
    The Emperor declared him a Jedi just before Darth Vader killed him. " So be it-- Jedi" I guess it was his way of Knighting someone.

5. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    So, did Luke take the online abridged version or something? Did bribe Yoda into letting him skip lessons or something???

6. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    Luke is a Jedi in a spiritual sense, not a physically sense. Luke handles the lightsaber as if it was a baseball bat but he resisted the darkside.

~Cowboy

7. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Wrong, Luke handles it differently from what is currently being shown in the movies because at the time different styles were being used. I've even noticed a few milounets in his handling, which would suggest the handling of something akin to a broadsword or a longsword. The six cuts to be used by these types of swords can also be found.

8. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    You have to put in consideration how old Yoda was when he declared that all Luke had to do was confront Vader to become a Jedi. It could have happened durining a senile brain-breakdown. He did die only minutes after...

And when exactly did he decalre himslef a Jedi Master? It just kinda happens...

9. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    I don't think he may be a knoght but his is no master as is being said. To say he is a knight I think is to greatly over state his training. AS for Yoda I believe that he told Luke he was a jedi to inspire him for the confrontation that he Yoda knew was coming. As for saying that he is a Jedi like his father before him, well we all no how his Father turned out.

10. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    Another thing:

What was the trial Luke faced? He confronted Vader--Wow. Its not like he killed him, or even the emporer. He just showed up, and dueled for a few mintutes. Even I can do that. Wow, I now declare myself a Jedi Knight!!!

11. The_Clone_Ranger

The_Clone_Ranger Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    Luke demonstrated a tremendous amount of skill by dueling with Vader, who was a Dark Lord of the Sith and was also the Chosen One. Luke also fought well enough that he could have destroyed Vader if he chose to. Fighting Vader was a test of Luke's physical skills. Knowing and not crossing the line between Light and Dark, along with having the courage to face his own father in combat (and knowing that he might die or be forced to kill his own father) was another part of Luke's last test. Luke was also able to redeem Vader, something that most likely no one believed possible. Yoda was a Jedi Master, and if he says Luke had to face Vader to become a Jedi, then Luke became a Jedi when he faced Vader.

12. Galleon

Aug 26, 2001
    Sorry but I thought it took more to be a Jedi then just beating up your dad, and then showing pity. Besides Vader redeemed himself, Luke may have been a catalyst but not the redeemer.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Yoda gave Luke a "crash course" in becoming a Jedi. He taught him only the skills he needed to learn to defeat Vader and Palpatine.

14. JediYvette

Jan 18, 2001
    So, like I said, he wasn't a jedi yet. He still needed to learn lots more stuff.

15. jade-sabre

jade-sabre Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2000
    Galleon, what else would you have Luke do to become a Jedi? I think he did it all! He was the only one that could help Vader dig deep down and regain his humanity. He definately proved himself a Jedi by facing both Vader and the Emperor. More so than just slashing up battle droids. :)

16. Galleon

Aug 26, 2001
    Luke would have gone an fought Palpatine and Vader anyway and I think that there is more to being a Jedi then just facing evil, but also up holding balance and the maintaining order. I think he is not a Jedi in the traditional form but instead the best possibility at the time. Besides I think he was chosen and designed as a Jedi to face Vader and was not taught the other aspects of being a Jedi. So he is not a Jedi in the traditional sense but the closest thing at the time. As for battle Droids that is very true but Obi had a lot more training then a few days in a swamp.

17. jade-sabre

jade-sabre Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2000
    I see what you are saying. Luke was designed as a weapon to use against 'ol Vader's spot spot. But in turn, facing evil IS the way to maintain balance and order. Plus, the old knights had become rigid and complacent. Their training methods needed to be shaken up a bit, just not as extreme as Luke training, I think.

18. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Luke IS a Jedi. There should be no question. He became as powerful as any Jedi in a short amount of time. He not only defeated Vader but managed to turn him back to the good side. Something so-called Jedi Masters like Obi-Wan and Yoda, who had much more experience and training than Luke thought impossible.

19. Galleon

Aug 26, 2001
    Agreed the old training method needed to evolve but it did not need to be thrown out the window. Also defeating evil is only a part of maintaining the balance as Luke for some reason is now arguing for in NJO.

20. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    No, Luke is not a Jedi Knight.

He is a Jedi Master.

21. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    But Luke did kill Vader. Luke reached out to the good in him, to Anakin Skywalker. He managed to cause Anakin to reawaken fully. Anakin purged himself of the evil that was Vader in him. Anakin was Luke's weapon in killing and defeating Vader. Yoda was not senile. He never said how Luke had to defeat Vader. A spiritual defeat is just as much a defeat as a physical one.

22. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    If Vader really wanted to kill Luke he would've killed him easily. Vader was just putting on a show in ROTJ, he had no interest in fighting Luke, he just wanted to be with his son. Deep down Vader wanted to turn back to the lightside and be a Jedi Knight again and save the galaxy once more. Vader has lost hope in himself, he thought it was too late for him to turn back. Luke was a Jedi Knight even if he fought worse than my lil bro.

~Cowboy

23. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    Luke is a Jedi.

He is the only person to face both Master and Apprentice and live to tell the tale. Have to give him some credit for that, both Yoda and Ben went into hiding the rest were killed. Years of training did not help them at all.

24. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    Luke probably knows as much as a Padawan does before the great purge. If you are referring to a true Jedi like Qui-Gon Jinn then no, he's not. But lets remember he had to learn a lot alone after he defeated Palpatine. Thr only thing that gives him an advantage is that he is the son of the chosen one. It will take a while for the Jedi to learn and rise to the level of the last Order.

25. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Luke is a jedi, he was tempted by the dark side, and did not turn, that is the general final test for jedi. It was also an added bonous that he saved his pops. Also, Ani only trained for about 10 years before being called a jedi. The son is stronger...

Luke mentally is a jedi, but he lacks information that most of the old jedi had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.