main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Luke NJO could beat darth maul

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi---Cost, Jun 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    The wonders of fandom...
    But could all those who state "One would kick the other's butt" also state what technical facts they're basing themselves upon ?

2. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    I seriously doubt that Luke could kill Maul in a straight out sabre fight.

Padawn Obi killed Maul through pure luck. Maul got overconfident and couldn't resist taunting him by slashing at the edge of the pit to send sparks over him. If he hadn't bothered to waste 10 seconds on that, he would have been able to simply skewer Kenobi.

Qui-Gonn Jinn can't have been THAT much older than Luke...mid fifties maybe. Also, his Force philosophy was more aggressive than Lukes has ever been. at heart, we must remember that Luke is an insecure, hen pecked ditherer. Qui-Gonn was not.

Luke has never been seen fighting a fully trained lightsabrist besides Darth Vader. Whatever his Force powers, we must also remember that Vader, although presumably fully trained in Lightsabre techniques was basically a sick old man in an iron suit. Vader wouldn't have been fighting at his best against Luke. And in any case, he never was trying to kill him.

Against a Jedi Sabremaster trained by Jedi at the height of the Order, a half trained mongrel Jedi who has cobbled together some fragments of Jedi technique (which, lets face it, are what Luke and his crew are) Skywalker, despite his advantage in raw power would most likely be killed.

3. Supreme_Overlord

Supreme_Overlord Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2001
    Obi-wan beat Maul
    Vader beat Obi-Wan
    Luke beat Vader
    see....

I think that Jacen and Anakin (by themselves) wouldn't have much trouble either.

4. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Obi-Wan beat Maul, 'cause Maul did the error of believing he had won the battle before he actually killed his opponents. In terms of pure skill, though, he had proven much better than Obi-Wan.

Vader beat Obi-Wan, and he killed him when Obi-Wan decided to let him kill him. There is no comparison of skills to make regarding this victory, thus deriving info on this topic from this is inaccurate.

Luke beat Vader, because he drew upon the Dark Side and forced Vader into a defensive position without letting him a chance to begin fighting at his full potential (already dissed on this... I'll try to dig it from my previous posts). But in a straight contest, Vader would have beat Luke hands down by the time of ROTJ.

The Obi-Wan's and Luke's you're referring too aren't the same (resp. TPM and ANH Obi-Wan, ROTJ and NJO Luke), thus using them is inaccurate at best.

5. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    A lot of you are putting Mauls downfall as luck. That's wrong. You behave differently and agressively when you're a Sith. That's why Maul taunted Ep.1 Obi and that's why he lost.

Some people have mentioned that we've never really seen Luke fight apart from against Darth Vader. While this is true, (and why episode 1 can get annoying when you think about it), is that fancy saber skills don't make the victor. It's the prescense someone holds on the force, the power they embody and becuase of that Maul would not only lose to NJO Luke, but Jacen, Anakin, Corran and probably Jaina.

6. kaijueiga

kaijueiga Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    Didn't Luke face Gantoris, who had created a double-sided lightsaber through Exar Kun, in a duel?

7. Lordban

Nov 9, 2000
    Nope, Gantoris was wielding a double-si_Z_ed lightsaber.

8. Jedi---Cost

Jedi---Cost Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2001
    i have ststed this beafor but i will do it again people say vader was a sick old man the only reason the lightsaber battels wernt better was because they dident have the $ to do what they did in e1 if we ever see vader in e3 as vader i bet it will look much different than vader 4/5/6 i mean in ANH all he did was biring his lightsaber up and down

9. UCLAJediMaster

UCLAJediMaster Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2001
    Luke would whomp on Darth Maul. He is more calm and collected in fights. He does not fight with hatred and emotion like Maul does. Maul would let his hatred get the best of him and Luke would beat him in mental endurance.

10. kaijueiga

kaijueiga Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2001
    Luke, in his prime (with or without a lightsaber), beats Maul, in his prime.

11. Jedi---Cost

Jun 9, 2001
  12. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I don't even see the contest here. Maul was actually killed very easily. Heck, he had all the time in the world to take a stab at Obi-Wan, he was just being an idiot. He's extremely over confident and Luke would be able to get in there and take him down in no time flat.

13. Aldaric_Brandl

Aldaric_Brandl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2000
    But ddn't GL say something in the publicity run up to TPM about lightsabre duels.

IIRC, he said something abt the only sabre fights the public had seen so far were of a half trained boy fighting a sick old man.

If I recall correctly and these words did come from the mouth of the GFO then its canon.
    Of course we know that the reason for this was cos they didn't have the $ and the tech back then but in the EU it works out like that...

14. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    NJO WimpyLuke would get his rear end sliced and diced by Lord Maul. Poor Luke would pass out from sheer exhaustion, or not even lift his saber to defend himself because he thought it was too much of the darkside.

The only reason Obi-Wan was able to beat Maul was because Maul become overconfident and started taunting Obi-Wan. In the heat of the duel

15. Nighthawk_Andy

Nighthawk_Andy Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2001
    aldaric you make a good point....but isn't that just GL trying to make his new movie look good?

16. Anakin_Skywalker_20

Anakin_Skywalker_20 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2001
    Hey Nighthawk_Andy don't speak that way of George Lucas. He created Star Wars and he says the saga ends with Ep6. so that's what we must judge Luke by. NJO doesn't exist as far as George is concerned.

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Luke vs. Maul

Luke strides up to his fierce looking opponent, and stares him in the eyes, for no reason other than to keep his gaze straying to Maul's . . . pearly whites. Maul takes a few seconds to shrug off his cloak and slowly, ominously ignite his lightsaber, one end at a time. Luke, being an all-around good guy, decides to do it sportsmanlike and doesn't kill him before the cloak hits the ground. Maul continues to stretch things, standing there sneering for several seconds, and then rushes forward, saber held horizontally before him. Luke brings his saber up in a simple vertical defensive posture, and deflects Maul's initial flurry of blows. Then, as Maul retreats to recoup in an extremely photogenic fashion, leaping and twirling his saber in impressive figure eights. Luke strides calmly after him, and allows Maul another attack. Skywalker keeps his eyes open, and as Maul is twirling his saber -- again -- Luke thrust straight forward. The lightsaber fails to reach Maul's vitals -- but then, it was never intended to. The momentum of Maul's moving hands carry them right through Luke's saber blade, and before he knows what's happened, not only has he been disarmed, his been unhanded. Luke then proceeds to duel "to the pain" with the Sith apprentice.

Wow, I haven't written anything that bad in months...

18. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    It wasn't that bad as far as initial thoughts about a scene go. Just flesh it out some more.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    NJO Luke would win easily over Maul

20. Lt_Ketch

Lt_Ketch Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2000
    To "the pain" then . . .

Now I would hope that Luke would win this duel, but for those who have read "Shadow Hunter" you already know this, but Maul was an expert swordsman - thought to be the pre-eminent swordsman by Sideous; and he defeated - quite handily - the very best of the Jedi swordsman.

It is clear that Maul is supposed to excel in swordsmanship, and perhaps be unequaled in that skill.

However, as has been pointed out before, skill in swordsmanship is not all there is, there is temperment, connection to, and mastery of the force, the ability to be "mindful of the moment," etc. etc. etc. The way to beat Maul is to make him think he has beaten you, as he had (mostly) with Obi-Wan, and then conquer him through his weakness of pride, self confidence etc.

Luke could do that.

21. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Luke's also an awesome swordsman, though. Yes, Maul beat the best of the Old Jedi's swordsmen -- I don't remember the scene, exactly, but couldn't Boondara have survived longer, except he sacrificed himself with that speeder hoping to get Maul too? Anyway, the Old Jedi were a less blooded bunch than Luke. The kid was pretty much trained as a weapon.

22. Jedi---Cost

Jun 9, 2001
    i have not read SH but I think his
    padawan was agsaderating i dont think that he was that good a lightsaber fighter i think mace, yoda, Qui gon, vader, or obi wan could take him easialy I mean all he did in the scean was retret from maul

23. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Read Cloak of Deception...he's the lightsaber trainer at the Temple, and Qui-Gon, who's definitely one of the best, acknowledges Anoon as the bes.t

24. My Master

My Master Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 1999
    I think that Luke would probably win but I think that many underestimate Maul's connection with the Force. Based on what I saw in the film and what it said in the novelisation of the Phantom Menace, Maul was far more powerful in the force than Obi-wan. I don't have my book with me, so I can't quote exactly, but I'm sure that Qui-Gon was said to have thought that Maul was a perfect example of how to hear the will of the Force, and that he hoped that Obi-wan would take note.

Obi-wan was no match for Maul. He didn't win the fight - Maul lost it.

25. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Speaking of Maul vs. OB1, did anyone else think that their final duel was ten times better in the novel...OB1 throws a slash at Maul's head, and misses, Maul starts throwing stuff around Vader style...it was much more impressive on both of their parts. If it had been like that in the film, I'd have a lot more respect for Maul, and it would have been more in keeping with OB1's bullishness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.