main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Luke should have asked Mara

Discussion in 'Literature' started by -Mesa_Jedi-, May 9, 2003.

?

Do you think Luke should have asked Mera "Can I take you out for dinner and a movie" befor

Poll closed May 10, 2003.
  1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. other

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Mesa_Jedi-

-Mesa_Jedi- Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2003
  2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    He should've gotten with her after TTT so there'd have been time for character development, rather than the horribly inconsistencies between early-Bantam and late-Bantam and then the NJO series...

3. A-WingsRule

A-WingsRule Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    Under the circumstances (stuck in the Hand of Thrawn), no.

4. --Corran_Horn--

--Corran_Horn-- Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    There should probably have been some development of a relationship yes... Somehow I don't think one of the most prominent figures in the galaxy asks someone out to see a holo, but something would've been better.

The way the relationship was rushed in so very much was a bit dissapointing, plus the fact that Luke's proposal was done when he was quite likely expecting to die in the very near future...

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I could see an entire book like "The American President"... "The Republican Jedi"...

//Luke shoots off one of seven assaulting pirates...
    Luke: "How's the date going so far?"
    Mara: "Oh, you know... usual 'first date' stuff..."

6. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Who's Mera?

7. Tekk_Zero

Tekk_Zero Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    It was a typo, I hope.

8. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    No, Luke shouldn't have asked Mara out on a date first. I mean, come on. The two were just about to be killed. Chances were that they wouldn't survive. Luke had grown a deep love for Mara, and needed to know what her feelings were for him. So I don't think he'd get a definite answer if he'd asked her out to a movie...

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I do think that Mara and Luke should have taken some time to get to know each other more intimatly prior to proposing. I presume they did that after being engaged.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I laughed my head off at the title, since nothing fits past the word "jumping". [face_mischief]

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    He should have asked her for a smooch.

12. Lks_Ian

Lks_Ian Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2002
    lol i remember that part in the book. i was reading the hand of thrawn just a few weeks ago actually. I felt quite embarassed for Luke when he all of a sudden sais will you marry me. I would have much rathered it been a simple. "Mara in case you don't survive this. I just want you to know that i love you." or something like that :)

13. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    They wasted so much time ignoring what was set up in TTT and then it was just rushed in the duology. Luke and Mara should have been getting to know each other better all along, had some ups and downs, and then somewhere in the middle of the Bantam run Luke should have asked her to marry him.

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Gandy, you spoil sport! Changing the funny title... :mad:

15. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    The old title was much better. :mad:

16. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    What Luke really would have asked

Luke: "Mara, we have about 5 minutes to live. You're hot and well I think we should make the most of those 5 minutes..."

Use your imagination as to what happens next

17. Elven_Jedi_Maiden

Elven_Jedi_Maiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2003
    No, Luke shouldn't have asked Mara out on a date first. I mean, come on. The two were just about to be killed. Chances were that they wouldn't survive. Luke had grown a deep love for Mara, and needed to know what her feelings were for him. So I don't think he'd get a definite answer if he'd asked her out to a movie...

My thoughts exactly. :D I do however, think a kiss first would have been appropriate. In a way it makes sense; that their love for each other was so deep that they didn't need to show it in any physical way yet, but still, it would have made the scene more romantic and sweet, and the way Zahn wrote the book, it would have been more believable.

And, as a Luke/Mara fan myself, I would have liked the scene even more than I already do. :D

18. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    What do you mean no character development before the marriage proposal?! Are you all blind?

Injects tranqs . . .
    . . . not working . . .
    . . . injects more . . .
    . . . ah, much better.

The entire Vision of the Future novel was the buildup, as you can see. There were two key scenes for readers to pick up.

First: when Mara goes into Jedi hibernation recovery, how Luke looks at her sleeping body and LIGHTLY KISSES HER.

Second: when Luke goes into healing trance later, when rescuing her from the tower, and the way Mara was thinking at him.

Thirdly, though in an overall sense, they spent quite a few weeks treking to get to the tower, and all the camaraderie and action they experienced bonded them. They had some deep psych conversations too.

I wasn't surprised when he asked her to marry; reading the last pages first in a book will do that for you. Bugger it! But it was very plausable that they did, because it wasn't an on-the-moment question. This had backing, and many hundreds of pages of support to validify it.

Can't keep eyes open . . . falling assssleep.

19. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Luke: Can i take you to Korriban, there's this really cool temple there...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.