main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Nintendo could be dying

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by uwishuwereme, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle_Owen_Kenobi

Uncle_Owen_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Ummm... no. I was just pointing out the sequels of Nintendo properties that were forgoten in that list above.

Globally, in terms of units sold, the Gamecube is #2 behind PS2

And The2ndQuest what are you basing that on. Last set of numbers I saw had the Cube trailing the Xbox by 4 million as of Decemeber.

EDIT: Recent figures for lifetime sales or shipments have not recently been updated by either Microsoft or Nintendo, but the Xbox is currently estimated to have sold between 22.5 and 23 million consoles and the GameCube just over 19 million. The Game Boy Advance is the only current generation console whose sales are in anyway close to the PlayStation 2, with approximately 70 million sold worldwide.

Not the link I was looking for. But this is a state of the market at the end of November.

2. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Exactly my point. It's this generation I'm talking about, but even if you look at past generations, Nintendo still isn't nearly as bad as the current gen. You look at NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, and all the systems before Sega Saturn, they had some real quality games, with a minority of crappy ones. And besides the 64, I would say that Nintendo is the only company that has had some type of quality control of what's released. PS1, PS2, and X-box are all guilty of a bad ratio of games. For every good or great one they probably have 5 stinkers.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That's pretty clever. Got any others?

4. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I'm not saying there weren't bad games, I'm saying that there were more good games than bad ones.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That's a matter of opinion, but if you took a random sampling of 10-20 SNES games, I'm guessing you'd quickly realize how wrong you are. Not to mention that since Nintendo's exclusive lincense expired, anyone can produce NES games.

6. Kan-Kilgar

Kan-Kilgar Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 14, 2006
    Nintendo isn't dying. All of the gaming companies are declining. It's just a common thing, if you think about it. We pretty much reached the pinnacle of gaming a few years ago, and now it's beginning to decline. It used to be that all of the games had good storylines, good characters, good dialogue, and (for their time) good graphics. Now, we get a 50 Cent video game. Tsk, tsk, tsk. If this decline increases, we could be looking at things like...Mario throws tomatoes at an old lady outside.
    On second thought, that kinda sounds fun.
    Decline, decline, decline!

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> And The2ndQuest what are you basing that on. Last set of numbers I saw had the Cube trailing the Xbox by 4 million as of Decemeber.<<

I haven't read up on that figure in awhile (I'm thinking summer?), so it is possible X-Box managed to catch up in the last few months. I just assumed the ratio was still roughly the same (especially since we know the GCN gains a lot of ground, in comparison, in Japan- it's the euro and aussie markets that really tip the balance). I'll dig around and see what I can find to verify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.