main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think Star Wars technology could become reality in the next century or more?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Feelicks, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    Seeing as how technology is getting more and more advanced by the second, could various technology from Star Wars soon become reality? Such as lightsabers (though it would not be cool seeing people's limbs cut off), seeing as how laser and plasma technology could possibly be contained, along with spaceplanes coming along, I wouldn't mind real X-wings being built.

2. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    next 100 years, probably not

next 500-1000 years

I'd worry for humankind if we're still carrying cell phones and typing to a screen.

3. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    I seriously wouldn't be surprised if it happened much sooner than that, I'd guess in the next 30 years we'd see something significant. We can already wire specialized glasses to an electronic pad and manipulate something that looks like a hologram with gestures. We can wear a headset that detects the user's brainwaves and uses them to interact with the IPAD (and no we can't use it to type yet, it mostly detects basic things like mood). However, barring a sudden unforeseen giant technological leap forward, I suspect it would take much longer for us to figure out how to build a lightsaber, given the amount of power needed, and how small a space there is to work with. As far as lasers go, we'll definitely see significant progress being made in that field, yet as far as their implementation in an "X-Wing", I wouldn't hold your breath for that. We'll be long gone before that happens. If we haven't all blown each other to bits first.

4. Attariel

Attariel Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    I think that the best bet for technology and steps towards a more star wars life is with what is going on in China, they are working on getting plants on the moon and from there mars. If we start terra forming then the other countries will get their butts in gear and start developing all of these technologies that are going to be lacking. I also think that if they could figure out how to make a light saber they would adapt it for other uses too. Like you have a mini saber knife to cut and toast bread at the same time :) yea that would be awesome!

5. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Nope.

We've had a huge burst of technological innovation over the past 200 years, but in the big scheme of things it's a historical anomaly, and certainly not guaranteed to continue forever.

In fact, let us take what could broadly be called digitalization - the entirety of computers, the internet, cell phones, consumer electronics; basically, anything you could reasonably expect to find inside a Best Buy - and for a moment call it an outlier and set it aside.

So other than that, just how much technological progress have we really made in the past 50 years? I'm talking mainly about things that directly affect people's lives, not abstract "We have a much better understanding of subatomic particles" sorts of things.

For example: A modern 787 is a fine aircraft indeed, and much more refined than the 707 one might have flown in in 1962. But the advances are mostly just that - refinements. The 787 is more efficient, more aerodynamic, quieter, and easier to maintain. But it doesn't fly significantly higher than the 707, or significantly faster. It's not significantly more comfortable or really significantly safer, and, at that, most of the safety improvements come from better crew training. Most passengers even today flying from, say, New York to Paris, really wouldn't notice at all if you swapped out a 707 for their 787, except for wondering where the in-flight entertainment system went.

The 707 went into airline service in 1957. Think of the difference between it and airplanes 50 years before, in 1907. And then 50 years hence, in 2007.

Drones make big news, but have been practical since the late 50s. The new ones are a lot better, but much of the improvement has been made possibly by Digital Revolution tech.

Automobiles are a similar story. The last very major interface change was automatic transmission, which appeared around the same time the 707 did. Yes, I know - Google's self-driving car. But that's the fruits of digitalization - thus why it's Google, an internet company, that's at the forefront of it. Other than that? Refinements, yes - modern cars are safer, more efficient, more reliable, and last longer than those of 1962. But they perform their core functions basically no better, and don't do a lot more than the cars of 50 years ago did. A friend still owns the Ford Falcon he bought in 1961, which still runs, and sometimes when we go off on a day's adventuring we take the Falcon. Our day doesn't go any differently - better or worse either way - than if we took his 2007 Corolla.

Trains? High-speed rail has been around quite a while now. The first Shinkansen opened up just in time for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

Navigation? GPS, but the basic idea was developed with LORAN - GPS satellites are basically just LORAN stations in orbit - which was operational in the 60s (an old acquaintance recalls dropping bombs on North Vietnam through an overcast layer based on LORAN signals).

Non-digital household stuff? I think the last major advance was probably the microwave oven, which appeared around 40 years ago, or maybe the air conditioner, that would have appeared just a bit earlier. Other than that, think: If you cleared all the Digital Revolution stuff out of your house, how would it really look much significantly different from one you might see in 1962?

Medicine? We have better treatments, sure, and the likes of MRI machines are wonders (though arguably also digital) - but when was the last time we cured a really major disease? I mean a big one, and totally cured it? Maybe smallpox, around 40 years ago? Cancer recovery rates have held more or less steady since the early 70s. Again, a little more progress on some forms. I'm not arguing that there haven't been advancements, but as with the other stuff, it's been slow, steady refinements instead of huge leaps.

Materials science? Again, I'm not saying there haven't been advancements. But the last big one was carbon fiber, which has been around for maybe 30 years, and the last civilization-transforming one was plastics, around 50 years ago.

Architecture? No mile-high skyscrapers yet. Burj Khalifa is largely a publicity stunt - the top floors of the spire count in its height, but are too small to inhabit. Other than that, buildings are not much taller than the generation of skyscrapers we built 40 years ago - the likes of the WTC and the Sears Tower.

Energy? Fusion still doesn't work. Solar and high-tech alternatives still aren't efficient enough. Wind is as old as mankind, a is hydroelectric. Nuclear is more refined, but the basic idea is late-40s tech. Other than that, we're still taking flammable stuff we dig out of the ground and shoving it into furnaces to generate power.

Weapons? No laser guns yet. Still slugthrowers and grenades, mostly. The RPG is 50 year old tech. Air and armor have been around since WWI. Smart bombs date to the tail end of Vietnam, after the Air Force demanded better bombs in the wake of the losses they took trying to drop the Dragon's Jaw Bridge. An "IED" is just an old school boobytrap hooked up to a cell phone. Other than that, refinements.

Spaceflight? We've arguably gone backwards. The Mars robot is nice, but we've been sending probes to Mars since 1976. Yes, the new one is better - it will last longer, gather more data, send back better pictures, etc. But the last man to walk on another planet - which was just our own moon - came back 40 years ago. We don't even have our Shuttle anymore.

If you looked at the difference between the years 1900 and 1960, there was a huge amount of change in how people lived their daily lives that was due to technological advancement in areas like the ones I talked about above. But if you set aside what has admittedly been a huge amount of advancement in one single area - digitalization - the difference due to technology between how we live our daily lives now and how people 40 or 50 years ago lived their daily lives is fairly minimal. In other areas there have been advancements, yes, but again, mostly just refinements of things that worked, and actually already worked pretty well, back then.

The point of all this is, a lot of people think that there will be just as much technological advancement in the next 100 years as there was in the last 100 years. I disagree. I think that if we look at the tremendous spurt of technological advancement in the past 100 years, that that pace of change can't and won't continue. It's going to plateau out at some point. And, in fact, if you put aside advancement in one single area as an outlier, it basically already has.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe in 1,000 years yes. But remember, the SW technology already existed a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, lol.

benknobi1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.