Do you think the duel-trilogy will flow?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthBane77, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane77 Jedi Master

star 4
    With all of the digital enhancments, it is unlikely that the two trilogies will match up. What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong.
  2. starwars6554 Jedi Master

star 6
  3. Ret Jedi Knight

star 6
    Some things won't like the Rancor but if you use the excuse that during the Empire's time there's less creativity and stuff then I'm cool with it.
  4. SithLord-Will Jedi Master

star 3
    Well think backwards... If Lucas had used less technology, and only used backass technology used in the 70's would any of the new generation he's trying to bring in like it?
  5. DarthBane77 Jedi Master

star 4
    No. But thats not what I'm asking.
  6. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight

star 5
    It will flow perfectly once the ultimate edition is released. All special effects will be touched up, I imagine. CG added, lighting fixed, matte lines removed, etc.
  7. DarthBane77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Since when has George discussed an ultimate edition?
  8. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight

star 5
    I think he's said a few things on it, but it doesn't matter if there's been an official announcement or not - you know he's gonna do it. ;)

He added stuff with the SEs, and since he didn't have the technology to change EVERYTHING the way he wanted, you know he'll come around for another pass for the DVD release. It's destined to happen.
  9. DarthBane77 Jedi Master

star 4
  10. threepio_mania Jedi Master

star 3
    I'm not sure how well they will flow. I personally don't care if the effects flow or not. I still think the effects from the OT are great, and don't need changing. Both trilogies are entertaining, I guess that's enough for me.

The ultimate editions will probably happen, but unless the original editions also come out on DVD I won't care about the ultimate edition. If the ultimate edition ends up being the only version of the OT on DVD, then I would rather have no OT on DVD at all.
  11. _Xanatos_ Jedi Youngling

star 3
    JediMaser201

What if I told that the Senate was under the influence of the first installment of this new "ultimate" trilogy called SW:Episode IV ANH super special edition?

I read in an article that after the prequels he will add Bail Organa looking up on Alderaan as the DS beam destroys Alderaan and he will add the Senate dissolving by Palpatine's hands. I am sure more of waht you said will come with.
  12. DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think that as long as we see a drop in the level of refinement in the costumes, ships, weapons and locations in Ep3, it'll flow over quite well.

Keep in mind that by ANH the galaxy has been in a state of flux for 20-odd years, which begins with the end of AotC and the start of the Clone Wars. By Ep3, that polished, hand-crafted look to everything will be dropping to a utilitarian, mass-produced war time quality.

Special effects aren't what seperate the two halves of the Saga, it's what those effects depict.
  13. Jack-D-Ripper Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I don't see how they'll match up. They can't possibly. But I don't mind. I see the PT as a kind of variation on a theme anyway. For some, that is the reason that hate the PT, simply because it isn't going to match, but I alomost see that as a blessing, because the OT, well, that is something special, and I almost never wanted to find out what the backstory was. But the PT has its own special something, and I'm glad they're looking to really end up standing on their own. Its like comparing Star Trek: Deep Space Nine to the rest of Star Trek. It doesn't fit in style or tone, but it is still good, brillaint, in fact, in its own right. See my signiature: that is how I feel, essentially, about Star Wars.

-JDR.
  14. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight

star 5
    "What if I told that the Senate was under the influence of the first installment of this new 'ultimate' trilogy called SW:Episode IV ANH super special edition?

I read in an article that after the prequels he will add Bail Organa looking up on Alderaan as the DS beam destroys Alderaan and he will add the Senate dissolving by Palpatine's hands. I am sure more of waht you said will come with."

I think that's just rumor, but it is very likely to happen, IMO. I would love to see both of those things.

"Special effects aren't what seperate the two halves of the Saga, it's what those effects depict."

I agree with what you said about the design and look of everything, but bridging the gap that way still doesn't change the fact that the lightsabers in the OT are not as clear or refined as they are in the PT, models and puppets stand out as models and puppets sometimes, and the speeder chase in RotJ looks ten times more fake than any speeder chase in the PT. ;) These are things that I think GL needs to fix.

But those are only minor things. As you said, the differences in styles and stuff will be easily explained with Ep. III.
  15. MikeSolo Jedi Padawan

star 4
    If you watch the movies like this, it will flow perfectly, you'll love the Star Wars movie so much better and they'll be more funner.

TPM

Clerks

ATOC

Mallrats

Ep3

Chasing Amy

ANH

Dogma

ESB

Jay and Slient Bob Strike Back

RTOJ

That is the way I'm going to watch them :)
  16. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    I've always imagined that after GL does Episode III, he'd go back to the originals and finish some of the SE CG shots (ILM didn't have enough time to finish everyone they wanted to back in '96/'97.

I'd also imagine GL would add in some CG into the background of various battles to make everything bigger scoped.

GL wants future fans to watch the movies from TPM to ROTJ. In order for everything to flow smoothly enough, I would imagine he'd clean everything up in the originals (without completely removing all the old effects) to just make everything look more smooth.
  17. metaforcesaber Jedi Youngling

star 2
    "With all of the digital enhancments, it is unlikely that the two trilogies will match up. What do you think?"

I think the trilogies will not match up. Not because of the special-effect 'discrepancies,' but rather because of the style of the films in each trilogy. By "style," I am referring to the story-telling style, the acting style, the dialogue style, the effects usage style, and so forth. Ooh, I'm not sure that made sense.

The trilogies won't match up because George Lucas is a different person than he was back in `77. Let me be clear: It would be the same case for any of us. After aging 30 years, we are, sort of technically speaking, different people. You know what I mean. Or not. Damn that's a lot of commas. Anyway, my assertion is that George Lucas has changed in many significant and relevant ways. And those changes are being delineated in the prequel films. He is no longer a struggling filmmaker; he is an established film-making heavyweight. Whereas Ep4 may have been the only Star Wars film to ever be released (back in '77 that is), we as fans knew that as soon as Ep1 came out that Eps 2 and 3 were going to be released no matter what. Well I'm rambling. I'm good at rambling.

Essentially my basic point is that the trilogies won't match up because the original trilogies were made by 1977-1983 George Lucas, whereas the prequel trilogy has been made by 1999-2005 George Lucas- a person who I feel is definably different than his old trilogy alter ego. He is different, therefore the trilogies are different. That's the best I can say it.
  18. Stridarious Jedi Knight

star 6
    With all of the digital enhancments, it is unlikely that the two trilogies will match up. What do you think? Maybe I'm wrong.

I am most confident that it will match up in the end. Hopefully 8-} although these newer battles are more intense, bt keep in mind what GL said, these are the golden age for the Jedi, so perhaps thing will all blend in soon enough.
  19. jawamonkey Jedi Padawan

star 4
    you know, when i first heard about this i wondered the same thing
    it happened to be when i was doing a puzzle

sometimes you can get the right pieces and they fit.
    however, sometimes you just take a piece and smash it in place even if doesnt go there.
  20. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4

I suspect that the OT is supposed to take place in a galaxy wide dark age, where after a cataclysmic event (the clone wars) many technologies were lost and technological advancements were slowed by the take over of a dicatorial regime (The Empire) People would be to worried about staying in line and not getting shot they wouldn't worry about inventing new technologies until the Galactic Civil War, war always causes the largest advancments in technologies the fastest

Look at WWII and our nuclear program, went pretty damn fast once we needed it bad enough
  21. DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The trilogies will not match up at all. But it won't matter as long as the story stays true. The visuals vary from movie to movie as does pacing, tone and dialogue of each film. In fact, each individual episode seems so different from the other. Watch ANH, then watch AOTC, and they seem like two different films from two completely different franchises. It won't matter at the end, when the saga is done, because although the films look different from one another, we'll know it's STAR WARS.
  22. ShadowDawn Jedi Youngling

The only problem i see is when you watch the series beginning to end. The Battle of Endor ground battle will look very weak especially with all those fur balls running around compared to the visual onslaught of Episode II and III. If there are going to be Ultimate editions i suggest that GL completely redo the Battle of Hoth from scratch. This gives fans something new to look forward to and it will appeal to newer audiences.
  23. amien Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I actually wonder how we will veiw the special effects of the PT many years from now.

You know when you watch a movie, like Titanic or Jaws for example, and you see the special effects and think, "Wow, that is so fake!" But when the movie originally came out, the effects were believable and praised.

I haven't thought the effects of the OT looked fake (except the Rancor and a few other things I can't remember), even though it was made over 20 years ago. Yoda, you knew he was a puppet, but you also recognized him as "real" so his puppetry never interfered with the performance.

In 20 years, will CGI Yoda look so old and fake to audiences used to amazing, completely lifelike CGI characters?
  24. Zombie_Monkey Jedi Youngling

star 1
    An all-duel trilogy would be fun to watch.

-ZM
  25. PaplooTheory Jedi Master

star 5
    THey definately will not flow unless E3 is much grittier and darker. To be fully honest, I think the puppets and minis look far BETTER than any of the special effects... well, maybe not all of them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.