main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think the Sith are religious?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SithKiller, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithKiller

SithKiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2001
    I'm sure that SITH is a form or religion, as is JEDI, but do you think the Sith worship an Almighty God? Do you think they are good at heart and want the best for their people? Or are they vicious, mindless beasts who favor the man downstairs??

2. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    i dont recall the JEDI ever worshipping an all powerful being. i have only noticed them to look up to their former master who passed on. Im sure the sith have the same form of respect for their former masters, they use it to fuel themselves even further.

It's hard to tell this topic from the OT perspective, you may want to take this to the SAGA forum.

3. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    The Sith philosophy is based on power. They don't really think of themselves as good, but I don't think they consider themselves evil, per se. It's more like Voldemort's (from Harry Potter) comment "There is no good or evil, only power, and those too weak to seek it." They consider themselves to be the undisputed masters of life and the Force, and thus, rather than good or evil, they simply believe themselves to be right.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Neither Jedi nor Sith worship a supreme being of any kind.

5. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    Isn't the force a supreme being? It binds everything and speaks to force sensative people letting them know its will, in a way is seems as though the force is sentient and therefore worshiped by those who can feel it.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The force is their guide and ally, but I don't see it as a "god" or a supreme being. It just is

7. FalconInToronto

FalconInToronto Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    They believe in a higher power and that higher power is the force whether its the light side or the dark side, the know it exists and they try to use it.

8. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    What did Vader mean when he told Lando to 'pray' he didn't alter the deal any further? That's an every day phrase for us because we are a God believing species, so, is Vader as well?

9. FalconInToronto

Jul 23, 2003
    I was wondering about that too because really only the jedi and the sith believed in the force, everyone else must have believed in something except Han as everyone knows. For Vader to say that he must have known the humans believe in a higher power as well but who knows, this is all fantasy.

10. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    I suppose that the Force could be considered a "higher power" from a certain point of view, but neither the Jedi nor the Sith worship it. The Jedi ally themselves with the Force and try to listen to it's "will," and the Sith manipulate the Force, but I don't see it as something they worship.

11. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    closest physically form to the force are the midichlorians. but, i dont see any jedi, or sith, naming them all and setting aside a worshipping time for them.

in retrospect, ousley probably summed up this thread.

12. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    Worshiping medi's would be the equivilant of worshiping priests, they are both considered to be nothing more than a conduit for the "higher power" to communicate to the masses. (disclaimer: that part of priests being nothing more than a mouthpiece for "God" is only my opinion)

One last thing, in ANH, Tarkin told Vader that he was the last of a now dead religion. So even in the SW universe it is considered a religion, that means that they have to worship something.

13. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    hmmm....i remember that line........

but there are different forms of religious worship.

merriam webster defines religion as:

1) the service and worship of a God or the supernaturl
    2) devotion to a religious faith
    3) a personal set or institutionalized system of religious beliefs, attitudes, and practices
    4) a cause, principle, or belief held to with faith and ardor (zeal).

i put 3 in bold because i think it fits the most, but thats my opinion. so, religion doesn't necessarily mean you have to worship a diety.

14. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    In the 2000 census in the UK there was a movement to get the Force established as an offical religion. That would have been super sweet. :p

I don't think the Jedi/Sith are religious in terms of a deity worship. They certainly study, meditate, teach, etc. about the Force much like many religions do on Earth. The sole reason they do that is to comprehend the Force better and gain more power and that works for the Jedi as well.

15. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    on my state tests in high school, there was an option for religion, and id fill in jedi knight

16. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, but Tarkin wasn't part of the Jedi or Sith organizations, so his perspective of the basics may have been distorted. To a regular person, the Jedi and/or Sith may appear as a religion, but that does mean it IS a religion.

They don't worship anything of a higher power; as I said the Jedi ally themselves with the Force and listen to what it is telling them to do, but they do not worship it in a holy way as you would God in Christianity. The Sith manipulate the Force to their own desires, and disturb its natural flow.

on my state tests in high school, there was an option for religion, and id fill in jedi knight

What state do you live in? I'm in Indiana and we only have to fill in our race, not religion.

17. FalconInToronto

Jul 23, 2003
    I read once that a religion refers to what a person believes in, not what or who you worship. In that case Tarkin was right in calling Vaders beliefs a religion because he believes in the Force.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    The force is their guide and ally, but I don't see it as a "god" or a supreme being. It just is

Some of you are taking an overly Christian-o-centric point of view. Even in earth religions, G-d isn't necessarily anthropomorphized. The Force pervades everything, which is similar to the ideas of some western pagan religions, as well as some current Eastern religions. Meditating on the Force and trying to understand it better can be seen as a way of accessing that ever-present deity.

19. Darth-Dispicable

Mar 4, 2003
    The Sith manipulate the Force to their own desires, and disturb its natural flow.

Don't get me started on "balance" and the natural flow of the force Ously, my theories are a little out there.

I agree with what DLM said.

Also try thinking of the force as an equivilant to the holy spirit (catholic) which is more of an all encompasing thing that binds us as a whole. It is still worshiped even though it is not "god", that seems to make it work when thought of in that context.

20. FalconInToronto

Jul 23, 2003
  21. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Er. you guys do know that a religion doesn't haver to have an all powerful being in it ito be a religion.

Both the Sith and the Jedi are very religious since well..they belong to a religous order.

22. Star_Warts

Star_Warts Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    I filled out one of those census forms and put Jedi. The idea is that, legally, if a certain percentage put it as their religion it is officially recognised.

I think it worked too

23. jangoclone1138

jangoclone1138 Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2003
    Jedi want to protect, Sith want to rule oevr. They are so arrogent that they probably pray and worship to themselves. Especially Palps. For more info send me E-mail at JangoClone1138@aol.com

24. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
  25. Qui-Gon-Jinn2

Qui-Gon-Jinn2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 10, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.