main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think the ST Jedi will practice non-attachment like in the PT, and should they?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Iron_lord, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That would have been pretty damn dangerous.

I'm not invested in the "babies only" rule but I do think that was Yoda's reasoning, keeping Luke safe by hiding him in plain sight, not "we ****ed up and we need to make sure he's raised by relatives."

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This should have been a poll.

I think the Jedi will take a more realistic approach... it's ok to have families and attachments, just keep yourself in control of your emotions.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It was a big thing to learn that healthy attachment can actually PROTECT a Jedi from turning to the darkside... healthy attachment as Luke had, vs possessive attachment as Anakin had.

Jedi Merkurian , Ryus and T-R- like this.
  4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah I expect a more nuanced policy on this and no more recruitment of toddlers.

Jedi Merkurian , Ryus and T-R- like this.
  5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    This quote from another thread says it all. By Yoda.

6. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I'm not saying that was Yoda's reasoning, I'm just pointing out that it's suddenly something Yoda was more open to, knowing the world had changed so significatly since the formation of the Jedi order, that they needed to adapt to current situations and go against their own ideals.

TPM Yoda would never have made that same decision is what I'm saying.

Iron_lord, T-R- and Ryus like this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    If I may, it sounds like most of you are arguing that what (would have been) good for one must therefore be good for all. Would Anakin have been happier? Sure, by and large, unless and until Palps worked on some other weakness of his. But because "that rule" was "bad" for Anakin does not necessarily make it a bad rule.

Luke was just as tempted towards "bad" because of his attachments as his attachments were good in a different situation. He started to go ape-**** on Vader regarding Leia. Oh oh - one example - attachments are bad.

Oh, Vader's love for Luke saved him - oh oh, attachments are good.

Could it be that some of you are rather "attached" to the idea of family and subconsciously feel it "is the better choice"?

8. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Argued this a lot myself in the 'marriage' thread, and totally agree. ROTJ basically rejects the entire notion of no-attachments in favor of saving the galaxy because of those attachments and emotions.

BTW totally love your avatar! (I'm a huge retro gamer, and pixel artist myself)

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Yeah I wish people would acknowledge more often that Lucas basically just made this up for the AotC plot, and probably didn't think about how it would affect fans and their views on the Jedi.

Disney should just.......declare AotC non-canon so we can all move on from it. :>

Ryus likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    They don't need to declare it non-canon, as Luke is going to create his own set of rules in a new order.

Ryus and T-R- like this.
  11. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Yeah and since he'll likely have his sister and a number of nephews and nieces, perhaps even his own child, in the Order I think this non-attachement rule no longer stands.

T-R-, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well said.

If Luke really were ruled by his attachments, he would have killed Palpatine and Vader in that throne room.

It took detachment to throw his saber down, not attachment.

As far as Lucas making up the rule for the AOTC plot--that wouldn't surprise me, he made up everything else as he went, but it's also beside the point. The rule is there, so we have this debate.

That said, I'm fine with Luke starting fresh as long as his musing on this rule, again, doesn't go down like that vomit-inducing scene in Survivor's Quest.

Death Wizard and Leias_Left_Bun like this.
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It took letting go of his rage and fear so is attachment to his father could give himself a moment to reflect, and don't kid yourself it was refection that caused him to put the saber down not being detached, its the only way to explain the camera focusing on Vaders cut off Robot hand than Luke looking at his own (the clear intent of the director/script). It took his love for his father to risk everything, pure detachment would demand he'd place the greater good first and follow Mace Windu's example and place the galaxy ahead of his own beliefs and desires by striking down the Sith Lord before him.Someone detached from the situation would never throw away their lightsaber, unless they where so 'detached' as to be sucicidal. He was warned by Yoda not to underestimate the Emperor's powers yet he choose to face them defenceless because he loved his father too much to become him thus placing Vader in the posistion of having a choice between his son and daughter vs the darkside and his master, finally forcing Vader to face that bit of good still in him that Luke sensed all along. It might not have been his intent but his feelings did him credit and guided him to that point, and his feelings came from his attachment to his father and his actions gave Vader the emotional push to break free of the darkside due to his attachment to his son.

Attachment doesn't mean he would kill Vader and the Emperor, only if he approached it from a negative attitude approach. Attachment is why Obi-wan couldn't bring himself to kill Anakin on Mustafar after all, he couldn't bare to do it and more he admitted to it long before the fight ever happened and it went down just as he said. Attachments and Deattachments cut both ways in the killing and no killing path. Only a sith deals in absolutes :p

By being attached emotionally to his father and sister Luke almost fell to the darkside, true. However he overcame the temptation and instead ended up using his attachment to turn one of the most evil men in the galaxy back to the light. Hence the title of the story "Return of the Jedi". His attachment made him become the greatest Jedi of his age. Funny this all kinda comes back to Anakins speech to Padme about what he believes compassion and attachment really mean, he just failed to live up to his talk but his son Luke walked the walk.

whostheBossk, Estelita and Iron_lord like this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    silly rule - yoda only made it up because he was crap at pulling

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    and Mace was a horrible wingman.....

YODA: Like me she does, everywhere the signs are!
    MACE: Signs that could've been misread. This party's over.

16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    YODA: Mmm. Lost a date, I have Master Windu. How embarrassing. How embarrassing.

EHT, Darth Punk , T-R- and 2 others like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's about time we got some humor in here. :D

Darth Punk and T-R- like this.
  18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    All you got out of the book was "people shouldn't be idiots?" Well, the story(like all of Shakespeare's work)is a metaphor. The "forbidden love" stuff is just surface level. Shakespeare used that as a device to make a social commentary. The moral of the story is about the problem of feuding nations(families in this case)and the ultimate futility of long vendettas.

He was trying to show about the pointlessness of all those endless European wars that were constantly being fought in his time. He was saying if people showed some idealistic love for one another than petty nationalistic squabbling; life would be better.

Mata2010, Ryus, T-R- and 1 other person like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Montagues and the Capulets were morons too. Continuing a fight when nobody knows what the hell started it? Really?

So if Shakespeare was trying to show that the endless European wars of his time were pointless--that wasn't something I needed a play to demonstrate but point made, Wills.

But "idealistic love"? I don't consider a "love" that ends in both parties committing suicide "idealistic" and I would hope that Shakespeare wouldn't hold it up that way.

And if Lucas was trying to make a point with Anakin and Padme that committing mass murder due to "love" and empty promises was a better idea than what the PT Jedi practiced, he failed spectacularly there. Although I have read posts in the PT forum indicating that Anakin's behavior on Padme's behalf as well as Padme's subsequent "losing the will to live" is romantic. And I needed a Zofran after I read them.

Leias_Left_Bun likes this.
  20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

Well, he wasn't writing it for you. He had to write his play in metaphors largely because he was financed through royal donations. He couldn't outright insult the monarchy, so he decided to be subversive.

Also, the suicide part wasn't the idealistic element. The suicide was the tragic element that Romeo and Juliet were victims of circumstance. The idealistic element was their courting that occurred in the previous acts. That even though they were supposed to hate each other; neither did so.

Mata2010, T-R-, Ryus and 1 other person like this.
  21. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Probably be a lot faster to rebuild the Jedi Order by having kids rather than travelling the galaxy looking for force sensitive kids and snatching them from the parents.

The flip side is this would also create a more powerful Jedi lineage since they're all decendents of Anakin.

T-R-, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Kidnap the parents too. There is more than enough vacant rooms in the Jedi Temple right now to house all of them! :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That scene in which Qui-Gon kidnapped Anakin while Shmi screamed at him not to take her baby away was pretty gut-wrenching.

Or was that one deleted, and we were only left with the scene in which Qui-Gon told Shmi that neither she nor Anakin had a choice about Anakin coming with him?

I'm sure we can have a discussion about this topic without resorting to PT-Jedi bashing based on nothing more than Karen Traviss material and a vague line in a sourcebook about the Jedi "having custody of" Force-sensitives.

Now let's proceed.

I do agree that it might be a problem to find and identify Force-sensitive children the way the PT Jedi did since the holocrons were probably destroyed or co-opted for Sidious' use. Which is why I mentioned in the other thread that it might be pragmatic to do essentially what the PT Jedi did for Ki-Adi Mundi and allow marriage and reproduction for the sake of keeping Force-sensitives from dying out.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Traviss wasn't the first to theorise that the Jedi were kidnappers based on somewhat scanty evidence.

Curtis Saxton also constructed a hypothesis that Jedi kidnap children from planets not in the Republic- based on the existence of Jedi Mon Cals- before "first contact" in the Empire period.

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/moncal.html

More recent references paint a peculiar and frightening picture of the status of the Mon Calamari in the final decades of the Old Republic. In his youth, Obi-Wan Kenobi knew a Jedi initiate belonging to the Mon Calamari species [The Rising Force, p.17]. This suggests that the Jedi regularly abduct Force-strong children from pre-contact primitive civilisations.

Of course, later EU had them be a part of the Republic.

25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they should have an older jedi who is too attached to his childhood holodiscs and when they are changed he goes berserk and kills younglings.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.