main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think the Star Wars saga will ever be remade?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Agent_Smith, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I wouldn't mind if they remade them eventually, so long as the story was and dialog were faithful. It would be nice if all 6 of them were made at once, like the LOTR movies, which fit together perfectly; you actually feel like you are watching a 12 hour movie! If all 6 of them had the same director (like Peter Jackson), were made using the same technology, and over the course of 6 years, I think it could work. I'd rather see the OT remade from scratch than any more changes to the originals.

2. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
    Despite the re-master aspect which divides many SW fans, it is only small variations to happenings with characters e.g. Greedo Vs Han in ANH and additional scenery slotted in so as to complete 'Lucas' "full and true vision" of the movies.

This sort of thing whilst considered repugnant to some fans it is IMO the right of an artist to revisit their work and make alterations.

I cannot see what point there would be to 'remaking' the SW Saga - be it either OT or PT but if Lucas or whoever inherits the rights sold the SW saga out then it would be out of Lucasfilms'(as it is today) hands.

The other factor to consider is money - George Lucas had to wait some twenty years to be able to afford the money to re-create the OT Trilogy as well as the technology to be developed by his companies to be able to make the remastered OT and PT trilogies happen.

Steven Spielberg said in interview he'd love to be able to make the movies like Lucas makes but he doesn't have the money.

In real terms, any purchase of the rights to the Star Wars Saga wouldn't come cheap and then after that to want to re-create it would mean that subsequent remakes would need to be visually more impressive and improve on the scale of the current versions.

ALL of that is a lot of money and I am left wondering who would have A: the cash for it and B: the desire to do it.

3. Sly_Old_Dog

Sly_Old_Dog Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2004
    yeah Lucas will probably remake the films to try and get more money out of us.!!!!!

4. Alowicious_ReX

Alowicious_ReX Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2004
    Geez I hope not. Think about all the classic movies that have been remade; Psycho, Planet of the Apes, and now The Pink Panther...and none are as good as the originals. It just seems hokey to me to try to get the same reaction out of a remake. The originals were good for a reason and it should be left at that.

Oh BTW I do like most of the changes in the SE...so that's not where I'm coming from that POV :)

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I don't doubt it, personally...but I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

That being said, it would be interesting to see the OT redone in the next few years to match up better with the PT.

Just something funny I realized the other day:

I'm one of those that kinda wishes the OT hadn't been made yet-that the PT were the first SW films we see. However, if the OT hadn't been made yet, then in all probability the effects to make the PT wouldn't be here yet.

See, on the EoD documentary, quite a few directors who led the post-SW effects/Sci-Fi revolution (James Cameron in particular) claim to have been inspired to start working. Now, if Cameron had not decided to start making movies, The Abyss and the Terminator flicks probably never would have been made, which would've knocked CG technology back quite a ways. And if T2 had never been made, then the effects work for Jurassic Park (which has been bandied about as being Lucas' realization that the technology was nearly ready to present his vision of the PT) probably never would have happened.

6. target-maxfirepower

target-maxfirepower Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2005
    I think the Prequels NEED to be remade.
    They are crying out for it if you ask me but the Originals need to be released on DVD (or the latest hardware) in their unadulterated versions- NOW!!

7. jenastin

jenastin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2004
    No. Absolutely not. There are a few films that never need to be remade...they are classics that should be left alone. There is no need to remake every movie in every generation, just because it can be done. The Godfather, Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Raiders of the Lost Ark, are just to name a few. The Star Wars Trilogies belong in this category. LEAVE THEM ALONE!!!!

8. nyjet10

nyjet10 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    It would be nice if Georgy Boy released the unfooled around with OT as stand alone movies. Calling them Star Wars, ESP, and ROTJ. Then keeping the PT and making the OT over. Spielberg could direct. Imagine Obi-Wan jr. with grey hair and Vadar with some acual moves. No plot errors, or old technology. Basically giving us no reason to be hear at this forum debating. Pleasing both types of fans in the process. But the truth is George would never do it because he doesn't like to please his fans.

9. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
  10. Plurimus

Plurimus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 1999
    Yes, absolutely. I'm sure there are some of us here in these threads who have the creativity to do it in a very different and equally creative way. SW created by Lucas will be considered the classic SW series (the prequel-original trilogy debate will be forgotten) and a new interpretation will be rolled out.

The question is how it will be done -- will it be more serious, darker, more slapstick, etc.? Yes, there would be variations, and probably huge changes, just like Starbuck becoming a woman in the Battlestar Galactica.

Some say human endeavors are cyclical, and there are cultural trends that indicate this. Retro is in. Seventies fashion has been back for some years. Bauhaus came from the early 20th century and still echos into the future as contemporary and post modern.

I know how I would change the saga. I'd make the story tighter (like Babalon 5 was a tight story arc), more literary, still full of space ships; I'd delve more into the Jedi and Sith rivalry and go more toward GL's orginal idea that the two orders were rival orders of knighthood, instead of the unbalanced, black & white version GL underscores. I'd focus more on the technique of lightsaber fighting (because I know it), there'd be fewer drag races, and R2 & 3PO might look extremely different. And in the end, the end of the Jedi would culminate in a large scale battlefield fight between Jedi and Sith who fought with tactical awareness (as did phalanxes of the Renaissance), not the silly slaughter of the Geonosian arena.

11. DarthTapion

DarthTapion Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    Yes. In our lifetime? That i doubt.

But maybe like 80 years from now, movie makers will run out of ideas to make big bucks, so they'll remake them.

Hell, they remade the classic King Kong, and its been about 70 years since hte orginal.

And even if Lucas forbids movie-makers to do it, I'm sure they'll find some way to make it.

12. BrownEyes_Blue

BrownEyes_Blue Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 29, 2002
    I hope not in my lifetime! And that is still a lot of lifetime left. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.