main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think there are other Imperial remnants besides the First Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Vortex, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Darth Vortex

Darth Vortex Jedi Knight star 1

May 19, 2013
    While we might not in fact see them ever in the movies, I think it's a serious possibility that other Imperial successor states might exist. The original Empire was based around loyalty solely to Palpatine (though there was an ideology on top of it), and with his death, fracturing probably occurred in the same way that was seen in the EU books. We know little about the rise of Snoke at this point, but even if he is some all-powerful Sith Lord, those factions originally loyal to Palpatine might see him as simply a pretender. Given the sheer size of most galaxies, I think it's entirely possible that other isolated Imperial states exist, with their relationship to the First Order ranging from loose acknowledgement, to military alliance, to coldness or even outright hostility. The Imperial system encouraged hyper ambition, and if you combine this with fascistic extremist intransigence, one could easily wind up with a handful of states, each believing one hundred percent that they are the true heirs to the Empire. What does everyone else here think?

2. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Maybe for comics/books/games/tv. I doubt it will be on any of the movies.

JonoLFC, B99, Palpatine77 and 2 others like this.
  3. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    It's an interesting question.

I think it would be interesting to maybe see some rogue Imperial remnants maybe teaming up in some kind of opportunistic/temporary alliance with the Resistance against the FO. Might be pretty cool.

4. Darth Vortex

May 19, 2013
    True, this would be interesting. Also, they would not necessarily have to be ideological; a fleet commander with just a handful of fully equipped Star Destroyers, for example, could become an extremely powerful pirate or mob boss.

Rancor Keeper, Palpatine77 and Xinau like this.
  5. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Now having an Imperial remnant team up with the resistance would be an interesting angle: the enemy of my enemy is my friend kind of thing.

6. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    It'd be interesting. I thought in Aftermath there were Imperial remnants in the core.

Vic Sage likes this.
  7. knightsofren

knightsofren Jedi Padawan

Aug 22, 2015
    No, I read in an article I found on star wars news net that talks about some of the new books and it states that basically half of the galaxy is controlled by the New Republic while the other half is controlled by the First Order. However, I think that this status might change after the events of TFA.

Darth Vortex likes this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I doubt it, since they all moved into the Unknown Region to consolidate whatever structure and power they had left and to rebuild out've the watchful eyes of the New Republic and Leia's Resistance. The New Republic at this time was very overly confident that their military could deal with any threat and the what remains of the Empire is insignificant as the armistice and and other agreements successfully defanged them severely as any real threat to the Galaxy/New Republic. Whether Snoke was an Imperial of some sort or just some creature the New Order eventually knelt under out've fear is unknown. But he's surely the Supreme Leader of what remains of the Empire as the name stipulates.

9. Darth Vortex

May 19, 2013
    Yes, the Deep Core warlords. They were in possession of a massive amount of military resources, but spent most of it fighting each other. The Empire could have crushed the Rebellion the day after Endor had it gotten its act together.

10. Darth Vortex

May 19, 2013
    I didn't know that (is there any official map of the current SW universe?) I do agree that some fracturing might occur now, as the destruction of Starkiller could de-legitimize the First Order in the eyes of some commanders, though fear of Snoke might keep them in line.

Vic Sage likes this.
  11. Darth Vortex

May 19, 2013
    I do know about the treaties, but again, considering the sheer size of the Empire and their military, full disarmament does not seem possible; it could have been based more on divide and conquer rather than going in and seizing weapons (the Rebel fleet was very small at the time of Endor). Also, just because Snoke calls himself Supreme Leader, that does not mean that he actually is the undisputed ruler. There are many examples of rulers throughout history with grandiose titles who held little real power. Of course, the First Order does have power, but that power might in fact be more perceived than actual.

12. knightsofren

knightsofren Jedi Padawan

Aug 22, 2015

Yes, there is a new galaxy map that is included in the TFA visual guide. It's pretty easy to find if you just search it up on google. However, it doesn't explain much about politics, but it shows that Starkiller Base's origin point is in the Unknown Regions.

13. Darth Vortex

May 19, 2013
    I just found it. It's pretty cool, but I'm hoping some day that they can make one with the borders of the different polities shown, like what was done in the old EU maps.

14. Vic Sage

Vic Sage Jedi Padawan

May 1, 2014
    Cool map!!:cool: I imagine that Snoke,Kylo and the rest will be busy trying to fend off the other factions between the end of TFA and Ep VIII.With the loss of Starkiller Base they are now vulnerable to both overt and covert rebellions.KOR will have their hands full.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Maybe one of these other factions will be led by Vinicio del Toro's new villian?

Ubraniff Zalkaz likes this.
  16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I came here to say the same thing.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    i'm still kind of hoping that Thrawn is kicking around somewhere.

whostheBossk and Ubraniff Zalkaz like this.
  18. Zalbaar

Zalbaar Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2016
    I doubt there will be in the films, although maybe some in the canon.

19. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I think the FO has absorbed the all of the remnants of the Empire.

20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    i really hope so... more than one imperial remnant would be a really interesting and new way to take things.

21. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    It's implied in some of the VD stuff that there might be, but if it is, it's demilitarized by treaty to the point of irrelevance.

22. Darth Kocins

Darth Kocins Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2016
    Sure why not! Have Del Toro's character play an admiral with his own imperial fleet, it would only take a few ships.

Personally, I think it would be a cool element.

23. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    In-universe, there may well be, but we will never be shown them because of fear it would cause confusion.

Kind of like how there are remarks that strongly suggest there are/were other clone armies in the galaxy, but we never (knowingly) see any except "the" Jango Fett clones.

They exist, but will never be given screen time.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Isn't the First Order a supposed reincarnation of what's left of the Empire? And while we only saw The Finalizer in the early parts of TFA, the FO had an illegal "shipyard" operations in the little-explored Unknown Regions, in defiance of the peace treaty signed between the New Republic and the Empire, after the Battle of Endor.

So, with Del Toro's character coming in as a new baddie, I can see him as possibly another General-like fellow controlling a second Finalizer-type destroyer - with both him and General Hux leading the revenge attack on the New Republic and Resistance, in Episode 8!

25. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I question the reason we still need the empire in the films....it is a huge galaxy. I would have liked to see a new order of villains. I did absolutely love TFA and liked the first order for the most part. I think the Hutts should have taken over in the temporary power vacuum. A galaxy of greedy Hutts woul be an awesome force to deal with...

Rancor Keeper likes this.