1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:VIC Do you think there is a force?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Master_Obi_Dan, Nov 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi. I am new here.
    so this has probably been posted a million times, but being the Jedi Master as i am, i am just to lazy to look.

but anyway, does anyone think there is a force in this world?

i believe there is to a degree, maybe not being able to persuade the weak minded how to think, but maybe moving objects with ur mind. i believe it can happen, humans havent even 1% of their potential in this world.
  2. lordvaderFF FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    I believe there is something.

I don't believe there is a "God" so to speak (ducks for cover) but I do believe there is something.
  3. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    LOL, don't worry Chris, no need to duck. Here in Oz you don't have to really worry about Fundamentalist zealots (which is a sad thing, as espoused in the Dump by JE and I) coming into kill all blasphemers! :D

Apart from of course, the odd wandering Yuuzhan Vong, we're not considered Infidels.

As to there being a 'Force' per se?

Perhaps, the world of Physics is quickly becoming more open to us, and most signs now indicate elementary forces not yet harnessed by we mere Electro-Magnetic spectrum and Gravitational slave drivers.

Most modern Physics and biology points to unexplainable phenomenon in terms of exerting a physical influence on our surrounds.

As you said, we only use about 9.7% of our actual brain mass, the majority of it is dormant and only has been recorded as active during unusual events and extraordinary circumstance.

So yes, there may very well be something similar to the 'Force' as we SW geeks know it. Do we use it? Probably not as yet.

Might we in the future? Most hopefully. ;)

Perhaps in a thousand years we can catch up to our convergent brethren a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
  4. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    Have I mentioned that Buddhism is the way to go?
  5. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    Buddism?

i heard Tai Chi uses mind and body, kinda like the force
  6. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    Nah, nothing like that, no mention of the 'force' (it's fictional, right? Just some how-to-become-rich idea of boy George)

If you want my cynical view, Buddhism's just a good religion to follow in the 21st century...life insurance! :D
  7. PolkaHorn Jedi Youngling

In Martial Arts there is definelty a "FORCE" to speak of. This is what Lucas would have based it on. The force of "KI" or "CHI" or whatever the system may call it is very real and scientific tests are being performed on it. To see Grandmasters throw people without touching them and casually strolling throw a group of attackers is a site to be seen. Also seeing a black belt dodging an unrehearsed and silent sword strike from behind is very daunting!
  8. laifir Jedi Knight

star 1
    I don't really like the idea of the Force being real. I mean, just look at all the pricks on our world! Imagine if they could use the Force, we'd all be living in misery while they used their 'devine powers' to take over.
    In short, we'd have a bunch of no-talent, idiotic Palpatine's on our hands.
  9. BobaMyHelperMonkey Jedi Knight

star 1
    ...no-talent, idiotic Palpatine's on our hands.

Oh, I'm not sure...I think some of us might make some rather good Palpatine's. ;)

10. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    life would be much more interesting if there were a force.

i might study this CHI or KI, see what its about
  11. PolkaHorn Jedi Youngling

Obi-Dan, do it. You will be very surprised at what people can achieve. Try a very traditional Martial Arts dojo with knowledgeable instructors. I have found Ninjutsu (traditional) to be very precise and worthwhile in this area
  12. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    i didnt actually mean do martial arts, but research it through books and learn meditating ( i need it)

after exams though. no time, must study ahhhh
  13. PolkaHorn Jedi Youngling

That's cool! There will be some literature out there but really you do need to find some sort of personal instruction in the matter. Go for it!
  14. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
  15. PolkaHorn Jedi Youngling

What is also very interesting if you can find the info, is literature about Ki/Chi fakes and how they perform their tricks. There are alot of fakes out there and I have read some really good books on the subject.

The term that we only use 10% of our brain is totally false and unfounded, originating from the book "How to win friends and influence People", in which the fact was totally made up!
  16. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    what do u mean?

that some books r actually lieing?
  17. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    i would love to levitate things without picking them up.
  18. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm sure we all would Obi!

Oh and Polka, I regret to say, but as a Psychology student, I can confirm that your statement is misguided.

Most Empirical data especially when utilising CAT and MRI technologies confirms that only about 9.7% of the brain is used by most day to day activties.

Most "dormant" portions have only been recorded active in extraordinary circumstance.
  19. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    what r some extraordinary circumstances
  20. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
  21. Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Master

star 4
    Well I'm guessing it's in circumstances where it may involve life and death. When the body really needs it to survive or when you are using a great deal of concetration... it's the same thing like when you get your adrenalin pumping...

But then again, I'm probably wrong...
  22. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
    i need everyones opinion.
    what do u think i should look at?

Ki/Chi
    Meditation

wat else?
  23. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
  24. HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania

star 6
    Here's something an old Jedi Master taught me:

Ok, first off to feel a ki ball (the force) you need to sit with your back straight and take two deep breaths all the way into your stomach to a point just below your navel. Relax. You need to have no distractions, so you should be in a quiet room.

Next, rub your hands together (later as you get better this won't be necessary). This will make them a little more sensitive to feeling the force (ki).

Now hold your hands about 4 or 5 inches apart (as you get better you'll be able to expand the distance further). Now, with your mind, imagine you are trying to push your right hand with your left and your left hand with your right. Essentially you imagine each hand repelling the other. Don't move your hands... Coninue repelling each hand in your mind with the other. This should go on for about 15-30 seconds.

Next is the litmus test. Very slowly pull your hands away from each other. DON'T GO VERY FAR. About a sixteenth of an inch is all you need. Then push back about the same distance.

You might feel a magnetic like pull and push. This is what it feels like to me.

Other people have described it to me as a kind of taffy-like feeling between their hands or like trying to push together the opposite poles of magnets. And still others have described it to me as a feeling like when you're in a car and you put your hand out the window palm facing the wind, but not as dramatic.

This is the force (ki)!

It might take a few times or you might need to re-read my instructions...

Anyway, let me know of your results if you try it. If you have any problems, post them here and I'll try to help you with them.

I've done this, and it does work, though I'm skeptical as to whether it is Ki or your muscles reacting to being put under that sort of stress. Good luck, may the Force be with you...
  25. Master_Obi_Dan Jedi Knight

star 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.