main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Do you think this movie got the emotion to perfection?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Dragon D, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Or do you think the emotion could be done much better? It's definitely good, but I am not sure if it's the best that could be done or anything.

Using X-men: Days Of The Future Past as an example, which I personally loved with the performances and emotions.

How does this one compare? Let me hear your thoughts.

2. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    I almost NEVER cry I think the last time I cried while watching a movie/tv show/other media of any sort was when I was like 3 years old or something. Now I am 22 and I cried like a baby like 5 or 6 times and not just because of what happened to Han. This movie was so nostalgic and truly made for star wars fans, 32 years have passed since Return of the Jedi was screened in movie theaters and you get that same feeling of time passing while watching TFA. It is so well done I just lack words to describe it.

3. entourage

entourage Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I was not really touched by the movie and I hate that feeling. I tried a second time and it got worse. I think they really wasted the death of a major character. That should have been way more emotional.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  4. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Yeah, I think the emotion was definitely nowhere near as good as X-men: DOFP was.

These are definitely not bad actors, and JJ always direct actors good.

But for me, X-men and all of the Hunger Games emotions are done at a level 10 scale. With this one, I feel it is just a 7-8.

Nostalgia is nice, but no way how I determine a good emotion because of it alone.

5. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Han's death was emotional but not as great as Obi-Wans or Qui-Gon's IMO, beacuse you could see it coming as soon as he walked onto that bridge. You were just waiting for it.

As for the rest of the movie, you could feel the emotion but my problem is that it was always dialed to 11 (high)...characters and audience needed a bit more breathing room. This is an issue with JJ's directing style...forget faster or more intense...he takes it to the next level here.

6. entourage

Oct 18, 2014
    Han's death is a kinda like a superweapon in storytelling. Han is a legend both in the GFFA and in popculture. It's like your last card, your powermove, your supercombo. Therefore they should have used it more wisely. Were was his farewell? Was that really all? As I heard about the Han rumours I imagined how Chewies reaction will be. Compared to that the reaction was a total letdown. This is HAN freaking SOLO!!!!! Look at Chewie as he gets back to the Resistance base....he just walks by Leia without even stopping or hugging her....A few moments later he sits next to Rey in the Falcon cockpit and seems alright. I can't understand this.

7. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    I'm with you on the lack of interplay between Chewie and Leia after Han's death. That was the *first* thing I thought of when I saw that scene. I can justify it by saying that Wookiees value machismo, and not showing weakness or sadness, and that's why he waited to grieve in private, as we saw.

8. entourage

Oct 18, 2014

Hm, no. Look at him at the Rebel base on Hoth when Solo and Skywalker are out in the cold. Or his reaction on Bespin. He should have gone berzerk in this one.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    That's when he was younger. Now he's older and has to be all cool 'n $h!+. Plus, Han once charged him with having to "take care of the Princess" at a time when Han thought he might die. Now that Han *was* dead, Chewie might well have just felt that getting all emotional with Leia wouldn't be taking care of her, but rather indulging an emotional breakdown. I can still easily rationalize his remaining stoic. But personally, I would have preferred to see Chewie and Leia do something to acknowledge Han's death in that scene. Hell...I waited for that specific thing the moment that scene began. It was definitely a let-down that nothing like that happened between Leia and Chewie...especially after they had that emotional greeting earlier in the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.