main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think this will beat The Dark Knight this weekend?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    I would like to think it would, but I'm having serious doubts that it will. TDK is a juggernaut right now, and has been number 1 for four weeks in a row! It's definitely gonna have a tough time against TDK.

How weird would it be for a Star Wars movie to open and not be number 1 for its opening weekend?

Guys, we're starting to get some hard numbers for TCW beginning Friday, so we've started an official thread. Let's move all box office discussion there. Thanks, G_M.

2. Jedi_Power_GV

Jedi_Power_GV Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 17, 2004
  3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    TDK is an unstoppable juggernaut of a movie.

4. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I doubt Clone Wars is even going to beat Tropic Thunder. The fact that it is an animated action movie really limits its appeal, sadly.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    No.

Actually, we'll need BO thread. :D

6. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    No but I can't wait to see it. I'm reading the book and I'm liking what I've seen so far. I really had no expectations at all for this.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm expecting Clone Wars to come in 3rd. I see the box office this weekend being:

1) Tropic Thunder
    2) TDK
    3) Star Wars
    4) Pineapple Express
    5) Mummy 3

8. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Tropic Thunder opens Wednesday, so that sound help with weekend totals for TCW. I also think Batman will not be number one, and, in fact, TCW will top TDK this weekend, but possibly not Tropic Thunder.

Two reasons it will top TDK. A) never under-estimate SW fans. There's an interest in seeing what this is about because of the TV show. Sort of a sneak peak -- will the tv show be worth watching kind of thing. Also, remember ROTS performed over expectations.

B) Boys. They all want to see it. Last chance for movies before school starts. I think it would have done better more centrally placed in the summer, like June or July, but still...

9. HanJones

HanJones Jedi Master star 2

Nov 26, 2002
    No. This movie is going to tank. It will only do marginally better than those FINAL FANTASY photorealistic animated films.

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I see Tropic Thunder taking the top spot with Clone Wars second and The Dark Knight third.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If Tropic Thunder opens on a wed, that will hurt it's weekend totals- could be pretty close for the top 4.

12. THX_1138biggs

THX_1138biggs Jedi Master star 1

Jul 9, 2007
    You never know.

13. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Yeah, I see it this way:

1.) TDK
    2.) Tropic
    3.) TCW

I mean...Garth is right about TDK.

14. Darkseid-Lives

Darkseid-Lives Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2008
    TCW is a tiny footnote to the summer movie season.
    Mostly kids will drag their parents to it, and some of the die hard SW crowd will wander in during the first week. I expect it will be gone by Sept.
    Look for this project to make an impact post first season - just looking at the writers they have lined up & some of the storylines, I think the sum will be greater than the parts here.
    This is also a bad time to bring out a family/kid's movie - parents are busy getting their kids ready for school, and they've already been to umpteen summer blockbusters.

15. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Do you think this will beat The Dark Knight this weekend?

Not a chance. Though Star Wars fans always see SW movies opening day, and we see it multiple times it's still an animated movie. I've talked to many hardcore Star Wars fans and they said they'd check it out eventually, but it hadn't caught there interest enough to motivate them to go see it opening day in a crowded theatre. Also, TDK has reached new heights and is close to beating Titanic. It's bashed records all over the world and is just a great movie in general.

16. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Tropic's Wed and Thurs box office won't total into its weekend box office for the purposes of this question. Like this past weekend Pineapple express had opened on a Wednesday, did well that day and then Thurs and then underperformed over the Fri/Sat/Sun weekend so that TDK took the top spot for the weekend.

What I'm saying is that if Tropic opened against TCW on a Friday it would easily be number one for the weekend, but since it has a two day start TCW may do better on Friday, Sat and Sun.

But overall, Tropic will do better overall by Monday because it has a two day head start. But the question was strictly about the weekend, not Wed and Thurs.

Sorry, I was being technical about it.

17. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    1. Tropic Thunder
    2. TCW
    3. TDK

There, I said it.

18. Darth_Zoo

Darth_Zoo Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    TCW should be able to top TDK. TDK is now hitting the $20M mark and TCW should make the upper 20's to mid-30's. I also think it has the chance of beating Tropic Thunder because that movie will open on Wednesday. TCW is a very odd movie to predict.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes, it's not a normal SW movie.

It's really hard to say, but considering pretty much every animated film does well these days, it has a chance. I guess.

I *hope* it does well.

20. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    As a Star Wars fan I say no. TDK has just been on a roll and as much as Star Wars fans like Star Wars movies I have not really seen this get as much talk as the live action movies. I may see it some day. But it really does not seem to have that Star Wars feel to me.

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Well, this *is* Star Wars, so anything's pretty much possible, although I'm not entirely sure if it'll beat the new Batman.

22. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Quite right. Guys, this movie will do well. Think about all the recent commericals, product tie ins, happy meals. The awareness is getting there and with familys travelling less they need something to do. Plus, there's no other new animated movies out there right now and like Garth said animated movies do well.

It won't do Nemo business and I don't think as many people will go back as with the live actions, but I think a 30 million opening weekend isn't out of the question with at least a 100 million total by the time it leaves theaters. Not to mention over-seas grosses.

Looks like Lucas is paying for his entire TCW series just with this one release!

Lets hope that if for some reason the series gets cancelled from TV he goes through with putting out all planned episodes, either on DVD or internet, and doesn't just stop it. Heck, that's the benefit of having your own company and not having to be a servent of the networks.

For the record, I don't think it will be cancelled, but you never know. Young Indy, ewoks, droids, anyone?

23. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Does anyone know how many theaters this is going to open in. That will def. have an impact on box office. If it's not that many, then all bets are off.

24. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    Over 3300 theaters.

25. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm curious if this 3D kids movie opening this weekend doesn't make a huge dent in Clone Wars.

honestly...I think it's being pushed more then CW is...I should do a study tonight to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.