main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you think we should have a separate CCG and TCG forum? (Read before you vote)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Bacabachaui, Jan 7, 2003.

?

Do you think we should have a separate CCG and TCG forum? (Read before you vote)

Poll closed Feb 6, 2003.
  1. Yes, separate the Decipher SWCCG, YJCCG, JKTCG discussion from the WotC SWTCG discussion.

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. No, I think things are just fine the way they are

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
  2. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    All TCG threads now go here to the new board

(There is no option for "I don't know" or "maybe", because I only want a yes or no response after some discussion. If you don't know, don't vote until you do :) )

As many of you know, for a long time, Deciphers CCG was the only kid on the block. Then came the other two Decipher games. And for years this board was for all three games and everyone pretty much discussed all 3 together.

Then early last year, when the WotC game came out, there were a few months where this board heated up with debates, heavy emotions, etc. It seems that two camps were formed, each liking their own game. At that time, a similar poll was brought up. The main thrust of that poll/question was based on whether we could co-exist peacefully. But that is not really an issue anymore.

Well, it has been a year now, and all seems to be quiet and we all get along pretty well I think. However, I have observed another development I really did not forsee. Just looking at the first page of threads (I have my view set to 50 on one page), here is the breakdown as of right now:
    Threads relating to Decipher or CCG: 20 (40%)
    Threads relating to WotC or TCG: 23 (46%)
    Threads relating to both: 4 (8%)
    Threads that relate to neither: 3 (6%)

For the most part, I would say about 80-90% of us play only one or the other. Forum participation seems to be down overall.

If you have experienced, like me, the frustration of wading through threads trying to see which game it is for, you may realize where I am going with this. Sometimes a thread is started without being specific which game it is for and the first few comments are spent trying to clarify. Of course we could start a policy to try and put [CCG] or [TCG] in each thread title (but the question is, which is harder to get used to? Doing that? Or separating the forums, and then dealing with the possibility of new people possibly getting confused by which is which and where to post?)

Even if we know what the thread is for, the threads seem to "compete" with each other. I do not mean that anyone is personally competing to keep certain threads at the top. I just mean that the two games seem to be struggling against one another in natural discussion. Like mixing oil and water. We can come to the forum after being gone a day or so and have to scan through several thread titles of the game we don't play to find the one we want. All of these reasons and more could be one of the reasons there has been very little activity here lately (and I think it is a big factor IMHO). I think most people do not feel comfortable posting much, not knowing exactly what audience this board caters to and if anyone will relate.

Obviously, changing the license had a big effect on the board activity, but if you look at other websites for both games, there is a lot more activity there than here. I think it is because the other sites specialize in their respective games and here, we mix it up a little more, discouraging any real specialized discussion. I believe people will feel more comfortable and more "at home" posting in a board that relates to their game specifically and it would encourage more discussion.

To me, this can be compared a little bit to the different boards here on the JC for Episode 3 that are separated into "Spoiler" and "Non-Spoiler", in order to keep the forums clean for those that want to participate in respective discussions that appeal to them.

So below is a list of Pros and Cons I could think of. Everyone, please add your comments and further pros/cons you think of.

I also ask everyone voting in this thread to read all the responses that are here at the time before you vote. I am going to wait to vote until I see more discussion, but I am heavily leaning toward "Yes, keep 'em separated"

Pros:
    1) Specialized boards (WotC/Decipher games specific)
    2) Definite knowledge of whi

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I voted "No." And here's why:

If you want specialized discussions of the respective games, you can go to Decipher's or WOTC's boards. But you can't discuss WOTC's game on the Decipher board, or the Decipher games on the WOTC board.

This forum right here is the only place where you can discuss all three.

How else will die-hard Decipher fans ever get exposure to the new game? How else will new (predominately younger) players of WOTC's game ever get exposure to Decipher's rich history of Star Wars CCGs?

If you have separate boards, there will be no reason for Decipher players to ever interact with WOTC players, and vice-versa.

That's my opinion, anyway....

4. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I said no, because it would cause someone who likes both games to have to check two seperate boards. I think things have been very calm here on this board, with only a few problems that were handles quickly and nicely by the two respective mods. I don't think the creation of a new forum would change much.

5. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Ok, I hear you guys. Thanks.

I want to make it clear that the reason for this would not be because of arguing. Because I agree it has been really good as far as that is concerned.

I'm still on the fence until I see more posts. :)

6. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I voted no since I feel that the board is fine. TCG/CCG bashing doesn't happen, and though I just play the CCG, I'm happy here.

It is nice to be able to research any of the 4 games by browsing this thread.

7. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    I say yes, because at the moment the topics apply wither to one or the other, not many apply to both and with 2 seperate forums it would be easier to see the latest post for my topic, caus even though i play ccg i love the tcg, and when i check this forum im hoping for a tcg topic to be active. But anyway thats me, im sure other people have different views.

Jedi Benji

8. LakSivrak

LakSivrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2002
    i voted yes because i think that the games arent really that similar. the only thing they share is the star wars universe, but not many topics can be discussed that apply to them both.

9. yodasoda2187

yodasoda2187 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    I voted yes. I would like to look at only threads that involve the game I play. It has worked out fine this way, but I would probably post more and start new threads if the forums were separated.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I say no, for two main reasons:

-Lack of exposure to the other games to people who only play the other
    -Inconvienience for those who play both games

Also, where would you put slightly-OT threads like Lord of the Rings and other games if there were two boards?

Keep it as a unified card game forum.

I don't think splitting them would increase board activity anyways- with Decipher's game discontinued and WOTC's not setting the fandom on fire, SW card games in general seem to be, IMO, in a lull in terms of interest and discussion.

Perhaps a more simpler solution would simply be to tag a topic title with a [TCG], [CCG] or [CCG & TCG] marker to designate it's primary game focus.

11. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    I don't think splitting them would increase board activity anyways- with Decipher's game discontinued and WOTC's not setting the fandom on fire, SW card games in general seem to be, IMO, in a lull in terms of interest and discussion.

I'll agree that the WOtC game is not catching on like wildfire (although it is slowly picking up), but look at some of the other sites like Rebelbasers for the TCG and SWCCGPC for the CCG. Both have a lot more daily posts than here, a lot more, and it makes me wonder why? The only thing I can think of is that they are specialized forums and everyone is with their "crew".

I mean, they each have their own popularity and I am not discounting that, but why is the activity chasm so huge? Also, this board compared to the other JCC boards has very little activity so it's not like their is a lack of users or people coming here. I think there has to be a reason people are not starting and participating in many of the discussions here. I think that reason is that it is sorta like trying to go to a high school and get the popular crowd, the jocks, the nerds, the skaters, and the stoners (do they still call them that? I graduated 12 years ago) all in one room to talk about stuff. Everyone still talks to their own group that shares their interests but not much real talking is going on because their is this uncomfortability issue. Then everyone goes to the real places they hangout together and really talk.

I have tried to start topics here and get things going, but I often find myself responding to and reading threads on other boards, because there is more activity. I also don't want to be the one to create a bunch of threads. I want other people to feel comfortable doing so. So I just thought this might be a good idea.

I could be wrong, this is just my theory. What other things will promote activity here, like we see on other boards with the same subject(s)?

12. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I voted no. Here's why...

(OK Don't flame me for this...)
    Many of the regulars are mainly CCGers. Not because it was better or anything, but because it was there first. This boards support was built from CCGers. Guys and girls who have been around from the early days.That is what keeps any internet message board going. It's the mix of regulars who have been around for a while, know how the others tick and the like.

When the TCG started, there were a few new faces here. Always a good thing on a message board IMO. Many of the new folks have stuck around. Great. As I have said, regulars are what keeps a board strong.

There are some folks who are trying to work the difference out between the two. How can they do this if the boards are separate? Being sent to another board is frustrating. What will happen if the boards are split is either:
    1) People are sent to the other board, possibly thinking "Hey, I'm not welcome around here.

2) people ask a question on the wrong board. What will happen then?

"This is the wrong board" Gee, thanks for helping. [face_plain]

"That XCG is dumb. Play this one!" :mad:

"OK I will help you" :) However, the TCG will fill up with CCG threads and vice-versa. Anything achieved? No.

In conclusion, keep us all one happy family. While I don't play the TCG, it is still interesting to read about developments in it. There are people who play both. Why make them borad jump. Lastly keep the regulars together to help the newbies, and avoid the "wrong board" situation.

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I voted no for the reasons that Artie-Deco put in his first post in this thread. I completely agree with him.

14. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    ...look at some of the other sites like Rebelbasers for the TCG and SWCCGPC for the CCG. Both have a lot more daily posts than here, a lot more...

Well, that might be because most of the users on these forums are mainly concered with one of two things: The movies and the EU. So that is why those forums are so busy. On forums like Rebelbasers or SWCCGPC have, the majority of the concern is on the respective card games. We don't have that much acrtivity because only a small majority of the JC'ers want to read and post about Card Game related topics.

15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I say keep the forums together, so that people who currently exclusively play one of the four games can get exposed to the other three. Plus, there are some who play more than one of the games, and it wouldn't be fair for them to have to jump across more forums than necessary.

16. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Keep them together, I agree.

The reason that RB gets so many posts is, as has already been said, because they are ALL about TCG, whereas TF.N is not 'the place' to go for TCG discussion. We just happen to have a forum for the two games.

If we split the two forums up, it will just mean each board will get half as many posts as before.

?Eaglet

17. Sithlord119

Sithlord119 Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    No beacuse there is no point.

18. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    The reason there are more SWCCG posts at the PC website is because...well..it's the offcial site of the Star Wars CCG now and that's where all the Advocates are. Easy access to us there make that board the primary focus for most. If anything that's why this board should remain as is. It's unique at least in that regard.

19. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    I voted no, because i would not have learned about CCG and the difference in the two games if it weren't for the forum like it is. Also nothing seems to be wrong with the way it is, i say if you want Game specific then just specify in your title.

20. SithDooku

SithDooku Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2002
    I said yes because It may be easer to sort out what you whant to see. I think if we tried it and didn't like it we always could go back to this way... well theirs my two cents.

D :) :) K U

21. Bacabachaui

Jan 24, 2002
    Poll closes in 6 days and it looks like a "NO" so far.

22. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    from a very quick look it seems the TCG people want it to be seperate and the CCG people wat them together, maybe a trend or somethin, im prob wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.