main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Do you understand the difference between the Republic, the Separatists, the Empire and the Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Master Mini 907, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Mini 907

Master Mini 907 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2013
    For some reason, lots of people don't seem to understand the difference between the Republic, the Separatists, the Empire and the Rebels so if you don't then you can find out.

The first Galactic Republic was formed in 25,000 BBY at the same time the Jedi Order was established, 200 years after the fall of the Rakata Empire and 100 years after the Corelllians and the Duros introduced Hyperspace. The purpose of this was to maintain peace and prosperity throughout the galaxy. The headquarters were made on Coruscant, a planet which is one big city, which was a great place to build the Jedi Temple. This is where Jedi come to train. It acts as beckon of hope for the galaxy. But, the Jedi did not control the Republic because to do that they'd have to take over, which people would see a hostile action and a civil war may have broken out so instead they had the Senate. The Senate was also built on Coruscant, near to the temple. The purpose of the Senate was to make a democracy with 1 representative from each planet. These representatives’ were known as Senators. Each planet would elect it's own Senator and they would be in charge of putting across any problem the planet has regarding the law, peace etc. to the Senate. At the centre of all this there was the Supreme Chancellor. This was the person who could pass laws and was in charge of the Senate, but he did not control it because that would make it a dictatorship. Originally, in TPM, the Supreme Chancellor was Supreme Chancellor Valorum but Senator Palpatine of Naboo (aka. Darth Sidious) manipulated Queen Padmé Amidala of Naboo (aka. Padmé Naberrie but she had to change her last name for political reasons) into calling a vote of no confidence in Valorum so he could then assume the title and put his evil plan into motion.

Despite Jedi training which try to suppress dark side feelings there was one Jedi in particular who fell under the influence of the dark side. This was a Jedi named Count Dooku. Trained by Master Yoda, he then went on the train Qui-Gon Jinn, one of the most influential and controversial characters in the Star Wars universe. Count Dooku felt that the Senate was being corrupted and that the Bureaucrats’ were taking over so he left the Jedi order and became under the influence of a dark lord of the Sith known as Darth Sidious. Darth Sidious then taught him the ways of the dark side and revealed his sinister plan to him. He instructed the newly renamed Darth Tyranus to create a group known as the 'Separatist movement'. His job was to spread the word that the Republic was corrupt and urge planets to leave the Republic. The planets that did became a part of the Separatist movement or the Separatists as they were commonly known as. The Separatists were controlled by Count Dooku and the home world of the Separatists was Geonosis which had one of the main Separatist droid factories. The planet was inhabited by Geonosians, controlled by Poggle the Lesser, and it was also the planet on which the Clone Wars began. The Clone Wars was a war between the Republic and the Separatists that raged on for 3 years. It ultimately ended after the destruction of General Grievous and the death of the Separatist leaders.

The Empire is the Republic except Darth Sidious has: taken control of it, said the Jedi tried to overthrow and assassinate him thus making the Jedi enemies of the Republic, which Sidious then transforms into the first Galactic Empire and deems himself Emperor. Once he has control, he orders the remaining Jedi to be hunted down and killed (Order 66) Had Anakin not been burned badly by the lava and needed to have been put in a black suit with life support which he needs, Lord Sidious would've probably succeeded. However, because he was, the clones had to hunt them down instead which meant that they couldn’t be 100% successful so some Jedi did survive. However, in the Force Unleashed game Darth Vader did train his own apprentice which hunted down surviving Jedi but that's a different story. Some systems did leave the Empire though because, even though Lord Sidious was the Emperor, he needed to keep the Senate in tact, so Senators were still around and they had to be able to leave if they wanted. This is why the Death Star was created; everyone would fear the Empire and stay a part of it to survive. The Empire then changed the clones into Stormtroopers who were originally all the same: 'To symbolise the purity of the new Empire' – Secrets of the Galaxy: Battles for the Galaxy (book)

Even though they possessed a lot of power, weapons and the Death Star (which was incomplete at first), there were a few individuals who strongly opposed the Empire. These were known as Rebels. The Rebel alliance was created by the original Rebels. It was created in memory of Darth Vader’s secret apprentice, Galen Marek (codenamed Starkiller), who died saving them in a battle against Lord Sidious and Darth Vader. Starkiller had been swayed away from the dark side of the force and taught the light side by Rahm Kota, who he had originally been sent to kill. The original Rebels were: Senator Mon Mothma of Chandrila, Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan (32 BBY - 19 BBY), Senator Leia Organa of Alderaan, Juno Eclipse and Rahm Kota. The Rebels were targeted by the Empire because they posed as a potential threat and they knew that they could destroy the Empire. But, they couldn't just attack the Rebels originally because they hadn't done anything yet so it was still illegal by the laws put in place by the Senate. Some of the Rebel's were Jedi. Originally there was Rahm Kota but we don't know what happens to him because he's alive at the end of Star Wars The Force Unleashed II and we never see him again (maybe they'll be another game with his death or maybe there already has been and I missed it. If so, tell me) The next known Jedi to join the Rebel alliance is Luke Skywalker many years later but Luke is still only a padawan as he'd only learnt of the Force and met Ben/Obi-Wan Kenobi a few days ago and Kenobi had already been killed by Darth Vader. But Luke was clearly strong in the force (being the son of Anakin Skywalker) and he use his insight and feelings to fire his torpedo into the Death Star, destroying it. Luke then went on to find Yoda who helped complete his Jedi training but Luke left the training early to go and save Han, Leia and the others. Yet, when Luke returned to Dagobah to find Yoda he was told that he needed to do only one thing to become a Jedi. This was: to confront Vader. Yoda also enlightened him that Vader was indeed his father as Vader had told him when he went to Cloud City to save the others. With his dying words he also told him that he had a twin sister which Luke quickly realised to be Leia. Will Leia learn the force also? We'll just have to wait and see in Episodes 7, 8 and 9 (7 is in the cinemas 18 December 2015) Eventually, Luke confronts Vader who brings him before the Emperor. The Emperor fails to turn him to the dark side so he tries to kill him with is sith lightning. However, watching his son be tortured causes Anakin to resurface inside of Vader and he redeem himself by throwing Sidious into the Death Star's core, destroying him and fulfilling the prophecy told: The Chosen One, conceived of the midichlorians, would one day bring balance to the force. However, doing this Vader's life support is damage by Sidious' sith lighting and he's dying. As he dies, Luke takes of his mask and Anakin looks on him for the first time with his own eyes. He then becomes one with the force along with Yoda and Obi-Wan. Whilst this was happening, a Rebel strike team had landed on the small forest moon on Endor with a mission to knock out the shield generator which protects the Death Star from any attack. After befriending a tribe of small creatures called Ewoks, they attacked the shield generator and a great battle took place. The Rebels and Ewoks were victorious and they used charges to blow up the generator which left the Death Star open to attack. So a small fleet of Rebel ships entered to Death Star's super-structure and blew up the core just escaping at the same time as Luke flew away in a stolen Imperial Shuttle with Anakin's body inside with him. There were celebrations across the galaxy in celebration of the Empire being defeated. Back on Endor, Luke burnt the body of his father in the traditional Jedi way. He then saw the spirits of Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin on Endor as the Ewoks and the Rebels celebrated.

I hope this has helped you and if I’ve missed anything or have got anything wrong then just say. :)

2. therealharvywallbanger

therealharvywallbanger Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2013
    Looks good to me. I never read it yet but I won't argue with you. If you spend that much time on an opening post I am pretty sure you know what you are talking about. I thought I knew but when I get more time I'll read it to confirm. wow...[face_hypnotized]

Master Mini 907 likes this.
  3. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    Is that common thing? I wasn't aware that many, if anybody, had trouble grasping the concepts.

4. muldwych

muldwych Jedi Knight

Dec 6, 2013
    Thank you :)

fantastic and exlains it all well.

5. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Dude, everyone on this forum has seen the SW movies. This post is so unnecessary.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Master Mini 907

Nov 3, 2013
    Do I care? Some may not fully understand. Besides, I have fun writing it.

7. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Lots of people have fun doing pointless things. Have at it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Master Mini 907

Nov 3, 2013
  9. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Good.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Many a non-fan call battle droids "stormtroopers". This thread definitely has a point.

Master Mini 907 likes this.
  11. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006

How many people that are likely to read it are non-fans though? This is just preaching to the choir.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I know. I was just saying,

13. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Actually, the original post is fun if you imagine it being read by Troy McClure.

[​IMG]

The first Galactic Republic was formed in 25,000 BBY at the same time the Jedi Order was established, 200 years after the fall of the Rakata Empire and 100 years after the Corelllians and the Duros introduced HY-PER-SPACE. The purpose of this was to maintain peace and prosperity throughout the galaxy. The headquarters were made on Coruscant - a planet which is ONE BIG CITY - which was a great place to build the Jedi Temple!

:D

Probably more appropriate for a Wookiepedia entry than a discussion thread topic, and I think most here already understand the differences, but I don't have a problem with it at all. Master Mini 907 - carry on, hope you're enjoying the JC forums.:)

14. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    Yes. Next question.

15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    - The Republic is a galaxy-spanning, democratic state that is governed by elected politicians.

- The Separatists are disgruntled members of the Republic who choose to break free from the established rule and try to make the galaxy a better place through violent means.

- The Empire is the Republic turned into a galaxy-spanning, malevolent dictatorship.

- The Rebels are an alliance of people who try to overthrow the Empire and reestablish democratic rule.

Yeah, I think I've got it.

- Ten thousand?!
    - The Jedi will be overwhelmed.

/LM

Force Smuggler and naibaf like this.
  16. Master Mini 907

Nov 3, 2013

17. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Who's patronizing? I was merely sorting it out, which is something I happen to enjoy doing. No offense intended.

- It's not disrespect, Master, it's the truth.
    - Why didn't you tell me?

/LM

18. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I didnt have the time to read the long winded post from the op, does it acknowlegde that the republic n empire were the same government? When does battlefront 3 come out?

19. Master Mini 907

Nov 3, 2013
    Yes. I clearly stated that the Republic and the Empire are the same government just with different rulers and principles. As far as Batllefront 3 is concerned: they have temporarily put it on hold

20. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    Well, yeah.

The lack of legitimacy of the Seperatists or the Empire is what ruined the prequels for me.

The Separatists were shown to be only puppets played by a Sith Lord. Well, great. The Empire is shown to be an alien construct imposed by a Sith Lord. Well, that's awful, now isn't it? And the Rebellion are basically the good guys who are not only plucky underdogs, but tied in to the thousand year tradition of the Republic.

How I would have done it. The Empire *is* the Old Republic. They see themselves as preserving the Republic and all that it stands for.

The Separatists are...freedom loving people who just so happen to sit on a resource-rich region of the world. Make them near-human...

The Rebellion is actually a continuation of the Separatists. The Sith Lord starts out as a genuinely decent man who goes insane in his determination to hold the Republic together.

21. Master Mini 907

Nov 3, 2013
    That's a bit clicheè. The good thing about Star Wars is that it was fairly original

22. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

This statement makes no sense to me, whatsoever.

23. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think Ezekial's point was that if the seps had been shown as a more genuine political movement, with some genuine grievances with the Republic, then the PT would have been better. That in the films the seps comes across as little more than Sith drones, that only do things because the Sith tells them to.

I think that the seps lack a clear motivation. From their name it sounds like they want to leave the Republic but Dooku has built up and army and intends to attack the Republic and force them to agree to his demands. What those demands are is never made clear.

I think that the seps movement could have been established in TPM and expanded upon in AotC. It could have been interesting if the seps are not corporate people like the TF, but smaller worlds that feel that the Senate is too corrupt, and big business has too much influence and their worlds pay a lot but get few benefits.
    It would be really interesting if Naboo wanted to leave the Republic, arguing that the Senate knew they were invaded and didn't lift a finger to help them. That would put Padme in a very tricky situation.
    So the TF and others support the Republic while it is the seps that have to use clones to fight.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Barbecue17 and Yunners like this.
  24. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I think it's never made clear what the Separatists want because the movement was a sham to begin with. We are first led to believe that it's legitimate, but the moment we realize that Dooku has joined the Sith and that the war is some sort of ploy on their part, the demands of the Separatists become kind of... beside the point.
    I find it rather sad that Nute and co were played like that. At the end, when he pleads with Anakin, saying that Sidious promised them peace, and Anakin cuts him short before he gets a chance to say what they want, I feel really bad for them.
    I think that scene is also designed partly to emphasize how little their demands matter to the story. What they wanted was never the point. That, IMO, makes their part in the story even more tragic.

- We will then crush the Rebellion with one swift stroke!
    - ...and we shall have peace.

/LM

25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well to me their fate isn't very tragic or even at all.
    Yes they were used but the things they did and the kind of people that they were did not create any sympathy with me. They invaded worlds, took part in a war, killed or murdered many people and all for what? Money it seems. They knew what they were doing and they didn't really care.
    If a guy is hired and told he will get a million dollars if he tortures, rapes and murders a whole lot of people. But after he has done this, he is simply killed by the one who hired him. This doesn't make his fate tragic or make me feel sorry for him because he was a guy that killed and raped for money.

If the seps had been a genuine political movement with some stated goals that were reasonable and made sense. If they had arisen all on their own but Sidious just used them and played them against the republic. And in the end he betrayed them. That might have been tragic.

As they are now, they are uninteresting as characters. They don't have much of an independent motivation, they are just puppets of Sidious and they do whatever he tells them to. By not developing them or they motivations, Lucas made the conflict less dramatic and interesting to me.

To give an example, in Babylon5, the Shadows manipulate a war between the Narn and the Centauri. The Centauri are the aggressors and do many bad things but they aren't merely puppets.
    So the war is doubly tragic, both in the terrible loss of lives but that the side that wins are being played and there are some good people on that side.

Dooku's fate also isn't very tragic. He turned to the Dark side, for what reason we don't know. But he sided with Sidious and set up this war that he knew would kill millions and he set up the Jedi, his former friends and colleagues, to be slaughtered. And he must have know about the Sith rule of two and that betrayal is the way of the Sith. So he could have figured that Sidious would one day betray him. So he knew what he was doing and he did it anyway.

Had Dooku not been a Sith but just a renegade Jedi, that Palpatine manipulated. Say that Dooku finds out who Palpatine is and this is why he attacks Coruscant. He comes into Palpatine's office but Anakin is there and they fight. Dooku tries to tell Anakin that Palpatine is a Sith but of course Anakin doesn't buy that and he kills Dooku. That might have been tragic.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

Ezekial likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.