main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you use RPG terms IRL???

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Spike_Spiegel, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Its become common for us to say "You failed that spot check" when somebody misses something obvious or to say "Im gonna roll barter" before going to negotiate a transaction with somebody. A friend of mine said today "It sucks having an strength of 8!"

2. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    Yeah, sort of only its more like when somebody screws up or such it is " Yeah, you rolled about a 2 on that one."

3. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm forever refering to cash as Eb (Cyberpunk) or Credits. I've mumbled several times at work about rolling a 1 on my wild die. And I'm constantly telling a friend of mine he needs to finish with Paramedic school so he can go to get his PA for a higher Medtech skill (also Cyberpunk).

4. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I do stuff like that all the time, even when talking to people that have no idea what I'm talking about.

5. FusionBlaster

FusionBlaster Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    OOOH yeah

I'm constantly complaining about my negative bonus to all my dex checks.

6. Bromly_Falco

Bromly_Falco Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2002
    I compare skill levels with people by assigning a WEG value to their abilities and mine. "Get out of the way, you roll a lowly 2D for Comp Use. I roll a masterful 7D+2!" That sort of thing.

Or calling upon the assistance of a character. "Man, I wish Ravae were here - she'd pick this lock in nothing flat."

A couple of my friends have the same first name, we tried several systems for distinguishing between them - finally settled on using their character names. "Where's Quintin?"

More often, something a character said will be quoted in coversation.

7. Kyp_side_of_TheForce

Kyp_side_of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I do that all the time. I'm like "I failed my reflex save" when I get hit by the ball in dodge ball.

More frequent, though is I'll be watching a movie and say something like "My SWRPG character can do that" or "My D&D character can do that" or I'll simply go through all of the action scenes in terms of D&D or SWRPG. Like how Episode 2 came out just after I'd made my first SWRPG character, and I went through the scene where Obi-wan is fighting Jango Fett going "Failed climb check" "Failed Move Object check, due to Attack of Oportunity"

8. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Yep. When people start to tick me off, I tell them I'm going to roll my Will save. [face_devil]

9. Jacen13

Jacen13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2002
    I don't say most of it aloud, but I think it to myself. Ex.: OW! You just failed that Dexterity check by about twenty!

10. Dyesce

Dyesce Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 9, 2003
    Yes, I know that... Watching movies, thinking about what they might have rolled with what bonuses... The Matrix is very interesting for that *g*

I've already heard myself say, I can't rush it, I'll take 20.

I know my strength attribute by shadowrun terms. I thought about how much weight I could lift and then calculated backwards to the attribute.

Referring to failed checks when something doesn't work is quite normal for me, and even if there are only non-rpg-players around...

But I see, I'm not alone! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.