main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Official Princess Leia in "Rebels" Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AllAboutThatMace, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    People meeting other people just doesn't bother me. If you hate coincidences like that why not complain about what has come before? Is it a coincidence if you meet a famous person and then they met a famous person or you meet someone and then you both become famous? It's just absurd to blame it on coincidences imo. It depends on the size of the role imo. They felt forced into Death Troopers but with them running around the galaxy at that point I'm not too bothered about it. If Han and Chewie just happen to be in the background of a cantina or building or their ships pass in space I'm fine with that. Never seen Han and Chewie and the Ghost Crew meet before. I consider that an expansion of their stories. They are going to meet new people regardless. We don't know what Chewie thinks of Lasat's. They haven't met Mando's, etc. They could be middlemen to other new characters. They could meet on a new planet or star ship. They could be working or meeting with new smugglers, gamblers and scoundrels.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i don't mind them inculding someone if they actually belong in the story. i don't see what Han would be doing in a story about rebels prior to ANH. Chewie i didn't mind in ROTS. Lando was kind of forced compared to putting Bail or Leia in Rebels.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda met met Chewie in ROTS and 19 years later Chewie met Obi-Wan who knew Yoda. Ashoka also met Chewie. Also in Episode 4 R2 is found by Jawas heading to where Luke is. The son of his former master. Luke also happens to know a Ben Kenobi. They then go out into the desert and encounter Sand People and then Obi-Wan finds them. While Luke and Obi-Wan are talking the stormtroopers kill Luke's Uncle and Aunt. R2 escaping saved Luke and allowed Obi-Wan's point for Luke to come true. Probably could find another one or two if I tried.

4. Ben R

Ben R Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2000
    The whole point is that there are already too many of those coincidental relationships. Enough. If everyone already knew of everyone, it ruins the storyline of going on adventures and forming new relationships.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  5. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    I think at some point we will have seen enough of the original characters to move on. They went and made the effort to create a new crew to explore their own adventures in an gradually growing rebellion all over the outer rim. The galaxy is a big place, the odds of Ezra & co meeting every single OT character are (if you take out the powers of marketing) very slim. Oh wait, they already met Yoda in a sparkly way, Lando, C3PO & R2D2 all on Lothal.... So yeah, there's that.

They went and made the galaxy incredibly small, didn't they? ...

McRowdy likes this.
  6. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    I still blame Lucas for that, ultimately. He started it in TPM with Anakin building 3PO, and leaving him on Tatooine... in AOTC, 3PO's owned by Cliegg Lars, living in the same homestead with Cliegg's son Owen. Granted, he's all rusty-looking, but still--same droid, eventually sold back to that very household a couple decades later. Lucas also wanted Anakin to beat up Greedo--the Greedo, even tho the EU tried to turn the deleted scene character into ANH-Greedo's dad. And in ROTS, Chewie knows Yoda, so Obi-Wan chatting with Chewie in a bar no longer seems as random as when it was just BoShek saying "Eh, can't help you, but this guy's got a ship available". Now we can imagine Chewie & Ben talking about Yoda and Ahsoka, friends they've got in common.

I went into this show assuming Vader, 3PO, R2, Leia, and Bail were givens--I should've considered Ahsoka one, considering Filoni's involvement, but didn't know if there were any edicts from Disney to deliberately avoid original characters from TCW or anything, or whether other plans were in the works for her or they were just gonna leave her fate up to our imaginations.I even thought Han a possibility, as they were ostensibly a smuggling crew (back when we really didn't know much about the story, just that there was the Ghost and a few details of the crew). Tarkin makes perfect sense, so that's no big deal. Yoda & Lando were surprises, but on their own they both work just fine...

...it's when you start tallying them all up that it starts getting ridiculous, and why I'm kinda hoping we don't see Boba Fett or any of the other ESB bounty hunters in the show, among others.

7. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
    Oh I want to see Boba - just to see him suffer the fate of every on screen-Mandalorian and being beaten by a force user. Obviously he cannot die, since he needs to be alive until he can be beaten by yet another force user. :p

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ezra met Bossk in Ezra's Gamble right before the series started.

Han and Chewie haven't met the Ghost Crew yet so from an IU perspective that would be a new relationship.

Everyone meeting the Ghost crew on Lothal is getting old but it looks like that will change in the 2nd season. Lando could have waited until season 2 when they were traveling around. The other Rebels characters are unavoidable if they join up with the full Rebellion.

9. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000
    After everything I have said in this thread, I will admit that seeing Han and Chewie in Rebels would be fine - provided that they have no interactions with the Rebels. ...sort of a "meanwhile on Tatooine" type of thing. But, it would have to work well and not be forced. The same goes for Luke. If we check in on Obi-Wan (which I feel makes sense for the story), I suppose mention of Luke and what he's up to could possibly work. Provided that it isn't forced. But, he should have zero ineraction with any Rebels.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Now we are getting somewhere. Common ground.
    Idiot's Array with Lando as an example. Zeb has a sabacc game with Han in attendance but instead of Han winning and getting dragged into the lives of the Rebels (like Lando) everyone walks away and continues on with their lives.

Or maybe they meet the new characters of season 2.

11. Tammy Mac

Tammy Mac Jedi Knight

Dec 10, 2013
    The way to do Han would be to have him as an antagonist. Not out and out evil, but kinda how Boba Fett was shown in TCW. He has a personal code but is definitely working against our heroes. At this point he's working for one of the biggest gangsters in the Galaxy, and is close enough to Jabba to get away with some serious sass so Jabba obviously trusts him, or at least respects his abilities. I'd want people experiencing Han for the first time through Rebels to recognise him when he turns up in ANH and think 'whoah, Luke, don't trust that guy, he's well dodgy!!!!'

The character arc for Han in the movies starts with him as a selfish mercenary, so they need to reinforce that aspect. Oh and we should only see him IF the characters have any direct dealings with Jabba. I don't mind guest appearances but the connecting strands have to seem plausible.

As for Leia, I think her proximity to Bail needs establishing, but it should be later in the series that she becomes significant to the story. Maybe start with her appearing to be like a bit of a wallflower, yet utterly kickass when it comes to the crunch. Maybe it turns out that she keeps a blaster and a communicator in her hair buns ;)

jakobitis89 and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Love the idea for Han!

Tammy Mac likes this.
  13. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I think if they want to do Han/Chewie/Falcon as an easter egg thing (i.e. Falcon on Courscant in PT) that is fine, but taking part in a Rebels story is too much.

Force Smuggler and jabberwalkie like this.
  14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah... Not too much a fan of that Han/Chewi story pitch.
    This seems more likely, but personally I think this is why they are pulling Hondo back into the SWU so that we have a a smuggler who is a recurring (most likely) character to run goods to the crew. That way they NEVER have to pull in Han or Chewie into Rebels. Mostly because there is a high possibility that the story for the Han Solo/Boba Fett movie will take place during this time period prior to ANH. I don't really see the story group allowing them to be in Rebels unless the time period for the proposed movie is different.

15. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Leia's one of the only OT main stars I actually want to see in Rebels. It would shed light on how Leia got into the... business.

16. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I wouldn't mind seeing Han and Chewie, especially if it was because the crew knows Lando and maybe this is around the time that Han and Lando are buddies, just before Han wins the Falcon. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing Han win the Falcon from Lando--we're going to get a canon telling of that event somewhere, anyhow. But Han shouldn't be involved in rebellion.

Leia, however, I think needs to show up. Even if she's in the background of this show, or if she doesn't appear until season 4 or 5, when she'd be 17 or so. I want to see her take on Senate responsibilities and use that position as a front for leading the rebellion. She should display real leadership and be able to get things done for the rebels. I don't think she's too young to appear, I got the impression from the movies that she lived most of her life in the spotlight. But we've only seen Bail once in person. When we see him again, it would be neat to see him and Leia together.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Lando doesn't have a ship. That's the whole reason he needed the Ghost to help him. Odds are he's already lost the Falcon to Han.

18. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Lando's always been one to jump around in enterprise. I could see him getting into a business, making a lot of money, buying a ship, and then losing it to Han when he starts joyriding around the galaxy and gambling. It wouldn't bother me, at least.

19. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    We're only 4 years out from ANH; I figure that's a fine place for Han to already have the Falcon, making mods to it, growing its reputation.

"You've never heard of the Millennium Falcon?"
    "Should I have?"
    "It's the ship that I got off an old friend last Tuesday."

TK-421 Is vader and jakobitis89 like this.
  20. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Anyone that has seen the Complete Saga and TCW would be crazy not to KNOW Leia will be a main character in this series. Luke should NEVER show up his role is being filled by Ezra, Han could show up once or twice and hopefully with Lando and Hondo. Leia and the Captain who Vader choked should be all in this show. No doubt about it.

21. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I mean.... not everyone is going to watch Star Wars the way you watch it. If PT characters can show up in TCW, then OT characters show up in Rebels. Why should Han get special treatment and NOT show up? Is he YOUR favorite character? Im not saying make him a main cast member, just showcase him from time to time. Think maybe the Deathwatch leader from TCW, or Hondo they didnt show up in every episode. TCW had tons of characters that showed up often outside of the Anakin circle or the Dooku circle. Why should Rebels be any different? Its all about the characters.

22. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Not exactly an oranges to oranges comparison. TCW was about the PT characters. The PT characters were the main characters of the show. Rebels is establishing a whole new characters as their main characters. Based on the time frame, and the premise it makes sense some OT characters will show up, those of which who are involved in the rebellion prior to ANH and imperials. It doesn't make sense that they would meet up with every major or semi-major character that had nothing to do with the rebellion prior to ANH.

23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I wouldn't mind if Han and Chewie had a small cameo. Maybe some Rebel is interviewing smugglers and Han and Chewie were a group or a member of the crew passes them in a cantina and you can hear them talking about a mission for so and so.

As for Leia it would depend on how she is introduced. Part of me wouldn't mind if we first meet her with her coming into a command room declaring that she has finished all of her school work and has already transmitted the information to the school and has already spoken to her mother (if Breha is still alive). And Bail can't kick her out since she has full filled all the requirements to attend this meeting.

I am not sure how I would feel if her and flirt with one another. If it was Ezra instigating the flirting than it would feel like he was trying to make Sabine jealous and if Leia started the flirting than it might be her annoying her father like teenagers are apt to do.

24. Ben R

Mar 26, 2000
    Huhhhh??? The Clone Wars happens smack in the middle of the Prequel Trilogy. And the Clone Wars series is a wide range of stories that involves everything. So, naturally the same characters are involved in both. "Rebels" (on the other hand) is an intimate story - focusing mainly on one small group of people. And, it takes place BEFORE the Original Trilogy. This is my issue. Han and Chewie are not involved with the rebellion before "A New Hope". Neither is Luke. Involving them in any significant way in the Rebels series would be forced and contrived. It also weakens the overall storytelling of the saga as a whole. Some things (the grand introductions of these characters) should be saved for when they're originally supposed to happen. I mentioned elsewhere in this thread that if it absolutely need to he done, I am OK with seeing Luke and Han in Rebels briefly - provided that they are not shown to be involved with the Rebels in any way, yet.

Oh - and, Han Solo is not my favorite character. Luke is. But, none of that has anything to do with my reasoning here. It's all story driven

25. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Not really. I dont really like new characters. Id prefer the staff flesh out characters Im familiar with. New characters have to be phased in gradually. Once ive seen the Complete Saga multiple times and get comfy with those characters i dont really want to see new characters. I think its great to see fan favorites in Filoniverse animation. TCW did a good job of that, hope Rebels follows.