main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you want Lucas Licensing to bring back the Plagueis novel?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Tyi-Maet_Nefer, Jun 29, 2007.

?

Do you want Lucas Licensing to bring back the Plagueis novel?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. No, I'm afraid I'd be disappointed in whatever backstory for Palpy and Plagueis they came up with

14.3%
  2. Yes, I wanted to read it and I'm disappointed

76.2%
  3. Other (please share!)

9.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Poll [face_idea] by LLL.

2. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm torn, I think it be a very interesting story, but then again I kind of like having Sidious' past and backstory left mysterious, I think it adds to the intrigue and such surrouding his character.

3. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    Dear Hashem no.

4. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Yep. I'm disappointed :(

5. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Other: Indifferent. Wouldn't read it anyway...

6. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'd like to see it come back eventually, but I doubt we'll see anything like it for a while. That said, I am looking forward to the new Darth Bane book that's replacing it, especially since I enjoyed Path of Destruction

7. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Yeah, I'm slightly disappointed since Sidious' remarks about Plageius is one of the most interesting information about the Sith in episode III. I'd like to know more.

8. Na-heela

Na-heela Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2007
    That's exactly my thoughts.

9. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    No Palpatine works as a villian because his past is left open.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    IF THERE IS A GOD, YES.

I want a book about Plagueis, dammit! So what if the Palpinator shows up for a time in it? It's still Plagueis' book! And we need more books about aliens, anyway!

11. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I voted "other" because I believe that a Palpy backstory is molten gold ... just not in the way LFL normally thinks of Palpatine. It would be good -- with some perspective, and some vision that isn't normally employed with this particular character. In DL, Luceno shows he is thinking, but I wonder how far that goes.

A great villain, especially in the GFFA, is precious, and should never be thrown away like confetti. When The Powers That Be weave Palpatine into a story, they can't seem to see any potential there, and where they could make a precious bracelet or necklace out of this molten gold, they form it into ... well, something more resembling a bedpan.

Great villains can do what no other character can do: they can open up ways to present deep insights in a way no other character in a story can.

Especially in a SW story, because this film series is beloved worldwide and presents important knowledge that is needed by all mankind in a way which no other fictional universe, existing or yet to be invented, is able to.

If Palpatine were handled properly, SW could transcend the boundary of "media-tie-in fiction," "candy for the brain," "not real science fiction," or whatever the impression non-SW readers have of it is, and enter the realm of great, award-winning literature.

That said: The whole of humankind has knowledge of evil people that most of us individually don't have. We spread a lot of myths about people who do unspeakable things that perpetuate our inability to a.) stop helping to create them, and b.) deal effectively with them when we do encounter them. Myths like, "It's just evil, pure evil, and it defies understanding."

We CAN and DO understand. I have a whole bookcase full of authors and researchers who do. If some of this knowledge were to be employed, we could have a breakout SW story, or perhaps series, using this character in ways that haven't been conceived for him before.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

If you want to increase your readership, maybe you should think of, not mystery readers, for example, but people who are interested in spirituality and inspirational writing, and in approaching human problems from this perspective.

Palpatine is tailor-made for it.

12. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    No. I have to agree with my fellow no posters in that Palpatine's backstory is better left to the imagination. Also what elevates Palpatine (and by extension Vader) from just another cliche evil doer is their respective actor's performances, which is those two have never really worked on page.

13. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Yes, I wanted to read it and I'm disappointed :(

Of course I want to read that story.

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    With all the Jedi Novels, doing the Plagueis Story is the only way to bring balance to the EU. And end the debate about Anakin's origins. I want to know how the Sith Experiment was done. I also want to know how Maul was kept as a secret. Or did Plagueis know and not care?

15. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes, I wanted to read it and I'm disappointed

16. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
  17. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Yes. I thought it would be interesting.

18. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I would love to read the background between Plagueis and Palpatine.

19. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    i wanted it, but I'm not disapointed.

20. benkenobi151

benkenobi151 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2005
    Yeah, I thought it looked interesting.:(

21. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I would love to see this novel!

22. sword_of_raditz

sword_of_raditz Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 2, 2005
    Given the EU's current track record, I'll have to say no on this one.

23. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Yes! Absolutely![face_praying]

24. MotionWright

MotionWright Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    I'm torn, but I'm leaning towards "no", as I explained in detail to LLL. :p She summed up my argument in the "No" option of the poll.

25. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I'd read it, but it won't ruin my like for Star Wars if they don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.