main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you want more X-wing: Rogue Squadron comics?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Excellence, Jul 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I began my foray into SW comics, any comics, with the Rogue Squadron series, so they have a special place in my ethos. And while they were the same old dogfights and TIE fighters, they stand out amongst all the Jedi and Imperial fare these past few years.

Even more paramount, no one speaks another's full name each time.

It doesn't have to end with Mandatory Retirement. There is still potential for more Rogue action. According to NEGTC; Fel's entry, Fel found his wife after nearly 7 months of searching. A few months later, he helped the Rogues win a key victory against Isard's forces. (A year and a half after Endor, she captured him for Thrawn in The Reelistment of Baron Fel unpublished short story)

And with today's modern techniques, think how good the art would be! :D

2. Nrin

Nrin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    Yes, without a doubt, I think a 4-parter should be inserted into empire at the least.

Would kill to see them, can't see it happening though.

3. New_Death_Sensation

New_Death_Sensation Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2004
    Sure, only not by Stackpole.

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I dig that idea :cool: I would hope that one of them would tell about Isard working for Thrawn... ;)

5. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I'd love to see new X-Wing comics. Especially if Allston wrote them. I'd love to see what happened to Lara Notsil after the Wraith novels. :)

6. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Heck yeah! More adventure with the comic Rogue crew would be kickin.

7. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Definately. If we can't have novels, we might as well take comics. There's plenty of warlord fighting to be done.

8. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'll break the trend by saying no. Any future adventures of Rogue or Wraith Squadron do not interest me in anyway, shape, or form.

wolf

9. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    Peer pressure will bring you back in, Sniper Wolf. You must give in.

10. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Nope. I didn't mind the first four novels, but re-reads made my liking go down. Wraith three were ok, but it's been several years since I read them. Isard's Revenge was better than Wraith tril but weaker than first four. Starfighters of Adumar is the worst EU novel I have ever read. Those combinations have killed any interest in reading the comics or any future adventures of the two squadrons..

wolf

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I'd like more myself.

However, the current DH big wig(s) are dead set against it for the time being. We pleaded with them several months back to basically get the answer (I'm paraphrasing) "not now, and probably not later." The excuse is that the X-Wing comics were not that successful and were cancelled lasty time due to poor sales. My response was that times are different now and that they'd probably sell a lot better now. Oh, well.

12. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    :p With current imaging technology, maybe they can draw Antilles more accurate now. Not all Rogue comics did his face right.

By the stars, see how they did Lando in Scoundrel's Wages!!!!! :eek:

13. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I dont think comic technology is all that more advanced. I mean, Scoundrel's Wages was highly stylized, sure, but it had pretty cool art and great coloring and remember, it came out a mere 3 years ago or so.

I think you often make the mistake in thinking that "stylized" art makes the art bad and that "bland" art with no dimensions to it(IE Crimson Empire, SOTE: Evolution) makes the art "good." :p

14. Ph0enix

Ph0enix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2002
    Starfighters of Adumar is the worst EU novel I have ever read.
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wraiths done. I'd also say yes to Rogues, but not to the NJO Rogues. They only had a few permanent pilots during the invasion, so it wouldn't be worth it to pick up issue after issue of different pilots and different ways of dying...

15. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I'd like to see Wedge finally meet up with his sister, that would make a nice RS comic. If they were to resurrect the XWRS line, it'd be great if they did it in the classic era, in the span between ANH and RotJ (isn't there a new DH comic soon that handles Red Squadron in that time period?). Starfighter battles and squadrons around that time really interest me.

16. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    More Rogues is always a good thing. That's all I have to say on the subject. :)

17. Nrin

Jul 28, 2003
    I'd like to see Wedge finally meet up with his sister, that would make a nice RS comic. If they were to resurrect the XWRS line, it'd be great if they did it in the classic era, in the span between ANH and RotJ (isn't there a new DH comic soon that handles Red Squadron in that time period?). Starfighter battles and squadrons around that time really interest me.

Yeah a Rogue Squadron: Reunion title would be great, showing Wedge and the gang travelling out to Csilla for one final mission.

Unfortunately, DH think comics about Bo'Shek and totally random Imperial Officers on backwater worlds will sell better.

18. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Wraith comic too. Horse-headed Runt would be fun, and a caped Kapp Debdo is mandatory. I liked his flair in Battlegorund Tattooine and Mandatory Retirement.

He had some damn good lines in B:T, when he fought some of the Rogues. "They always forget the little ones," Dllr the Sullustan quips, head-butting Dendo. "Thanks for the reminder," the Devaronian counters, and swings back. :D

19. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Man, I'd love to see another Rogue Squadron series. There's a lot of untapped stuff if they continue the series as a lead-in the original novels:

- Wedge and Fel finding Wynnsa Starflare.
    - The Liberation of Kashyyyk (Ackbar and the Rogues were involved in the space battle, while Han and Chewie were on the ground)
    - The Reenlistment of Baron Fel (Zahn and Stackpole envisioned it as a either a six part comic or a 4 part serialized novella...I'd like to see a comic, myself).
    - Tycho's doomed mission to Coruscant.

20. benTantilles

benTantilles Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2003
    i would most definitely be for this idea.

". If they were to resurrect the XWRS line, it'd be great if they did it in the classic era, in the span between ANH and RotJ (isn't there a new DH comic soon that handles Red Squadron in that time period?). Starfighter battles and squadrons around that time really interest me. "

my sentiments exactly. there's so much untapped potential in the classic era timeframe... especially since luke's with them too. there's no need to focus solely on relatively low-key characters like wedge & co with this, and as such, this series may gain the popular success needed to keep it going. of course, mentions of luke are merely an excuse to keep the REAL storyline going--- that is, stuff about wedge, tycho, wes, hobbie and the gang.

"I'd like to see Wedge finally meet up with his sister, that would make a nice RS comic"
    i feel the same way. i don't think it should be a one-shot, though... for a comic of this emotional magnitude, you need to build up sufficient feeling for the characters involved among readers to have the emotional impact necessary to pull a reunion off. precisely why we should have a series, or at least an arc within another series, dedicated to telling the many untold stories of rogue squadron.

"- Wedge and Fel finding Wynnsa Starflare.
    - The Liberation of Kashyyyk (Ackbar and the Rogues were involved in the space battle, while Han and Chewie were on the ground)
    - The Reenlistment of Baron Fel (Zahn and Stackpole envisioned it as a either a six part comic or a 4 part serialized novella...I'd like to see a comic, myself).
    - Tycho's doomed mission to Coruscant. "

all good ideas. never heard of the kashyyyk one before. interesting. and the tycho idea's good too. would be fantastic if they did it from tycho's point of view, so we can see exactly what's going thru his mind as he participates in the mission, realizes he's gonna captured, decides to kill himself, fails, gets captured, resists torture and escapes.

wow. there's so much potential.

"Unfortunately, DH think comics about Bo'Shek and totally random Imperial Officers on backwater worlds will sell better. "
    ha. couldn't have put it better.

21. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Hells yeah! And as noted in another thread, it'd be cool if it was done in a Manga style :cool:

22. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    At the risk of being shot, I say that we don't need anymore Rogue Squadron comics. I mean, there was already 35 of them, plus all the X-Wing books. No other aspect of EU has been so explored like that, not even the Clone Wars which is arguably more important than the X-Wing stories. If DH had a steady stream of varying stories for all aspects of Star Wars I'd be for a new X-Wing series. I just don't want DH to drop everything for stories on people we've seen a lot before.

-Note, I do like the X-Wing comics, don't kill me! :p

23. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    There is a ton of stories left to tell between the comics and the books. Like what happened to Fel, what happened to Tycho, and why the Rogues had to be re-started.

24. Nrin

Jul 28, 2003
    I think our main hope for a new run is going to be a year or so post-ROTS, where DH will be looking to explore other areas of the timeline.

At the moment they are doing the Clone Wars in Republic, which is fair play, but I think the Empire line is being woefully underused, it would be the perfect place for a Rogue Squadron run, I think I speak for many fans when I saw Darklighter was the most successfull Empire Arc so far, its no co-incidence.

Randy and Dark Horse have had to come out quite often saying they have no current plans for Rogue Squadron, but I suspect they are keeping it up their sleave as an ace-in-the-hole, its a gaurenteed banker, an earner thats going to sell now , or in 3 years time, due to the huge and enthusiastic fanbase.

Hopefully if Stackpole gets back into the Star Wars fold with the new NJO nine-parter, he can get things rolling agin. So many great storlines not explored [face_sigh]

25. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    If they are going to do anymore X-wing series, it should be based around the big campaign between Ackbar and Pellaeon 13 years after Endor. This is the big campaign that convinces Pellaeon that the only way the Empire would survive was if they made peace.

The book would include all our favorites- Chief of State Leia Organa Solo, Han Solo, Admiral Ackbar, Wedge Antilles, Tycho, Corran, Hobbie, Janson, Booster, Iella, Karrde, Mirax, etc, etc, etc.

The battles would be awesome, and one a scale we never saw before.

God, if only someone was listening.

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.