main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Do you want to see an in-universe explanation for the canon reboot?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Cheerios4u98, Mar 18, 2015.

?

Should the canon reboot have an in-universe explanation?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I know a lot of us are still pretty bummed that the EU was officially deemed "Legends" not so long ago, and that the canon of Star Wars was rebooted. I will probably always favor the old EU over the new canon, but I'm still excited to see what happens with the new canon and I'm thrilled to see the new movie. But it will always sort of bother me that there are now two separate, different Star Wars universes, that have nothing to do with each other except for that coincidentally these two universes share six "moments" that are exactly the same (the six movies).

J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movie also completely uprooted and cancelled out everything that had built up in the Star Trek universe before it. But the movie provided an in-universe explanation for why this happened. It was an alternate timeline. Similar to how The Legend of Zelda series works, with multiple timelines branching off from a certain point in history. Each timeline is still "canon," but they are completely separate from each other, with completely different events and stories happening in each timeline.

Would you want to see some sort of in-universe explanation for why there are now two different Star Wars continuities? I honestly would love that. In a way, it would even re-canonize "Legends" material, as having really existed in another timeline, but still having nothing to do with the current timeline that is being developed. In a way it could appease fans of the old EU while still keeping fans of the new canon happy. I see it as a win-win.

What do you think?

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    No I don't want to see that. I will just continue to enjoy the old EU books as kind of "what if" type stories and enjoy the new EU as cannon. If they did ever go that direction though I would read it to see how they go about doing it, but I just do not think it is necessary.

3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    No. I agree with what cubman987 said. I will continue to reread/rewatch/replay all the stories that I enjoyed from the old EU just as I always had. An in-universe explanation will only complicate things unnecessarily. Sure, an explanation like alternate/parallel universe/timeline may work for Star Trek and Doctor Who, but not Star Wars. There are some things that are out of place for certain franchises, like parallel universes, or timetravel or Earth in Star Wars.

At the end of the day who cares, it's only a fictional franchise with it's ultimate goal to entertain, so enjoy what ever stories and parts that you like ;)

4. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    In-universe? What, like a time travel story that literally erases the EU from the timeline, or as I call it, the "EA Games" approach to continuing a story you didn't start.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No I don't because I do not care what a corporation says. Labels mean nothing to me.

6. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    No. I will enjoy both anyway.

Meyerm and spicer like this.
  7. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    I'll just follow both. If two stories contradict each other, I choose which I like more.

CrazyOldHermit and spicer like this.
  8. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Yes I do!

BigAl6ft6 and wsk like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    R2 is telling the story to The WHills and they ask, "You're kidding, right?" In R2-speak he replies, "Yep! So here's the real story."

10. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    I'm the kind of guy to come up with in-universe explanations for Earth and why we think Star Wars is mere fiction (George Lucas is a Whill!), so yeah, I'm fond of coming up with in-universe explanations for the reboot as well. I'm happy to think of it as an alternate timeline, given that time travel is a thing in the GFFA, and do wish Lucasfilm had gone with that explanation as it would have legitimised Legends as a true, canonical version of events, just one belonging to a separate Everett branch. ;)

GrimdarkRose and wsk like this.
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ya, I would be for it - that way the old EU and all the work that went into it would still matter canon-wise, but Disney would not be constricted by it.

wsk, Cheerios4u98 and Darth_Dreadwar like this.
  12. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    No I don't want Mickey's corporate BS complicating things any further...

spicer and SatineNaberrie like this.
  13. wsk

wsk Jedi Padawan

Sep 30, 2013
    I'd be for it, some sort of parallel uni thing/time travel idea that would mean both universes are canon, no one is deemed a second class fan, there would continue to be room for all fans and stories (I'm begining to feel hemmed in by what disney declares is canon and how they are doing it) and it would also show respect to all us EU fans who kept SW alive through the bleak times. But that would mean disney actually giving a kriff about fans instead of profits.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

14. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    The only problem is the post ROTJ Legends history never happened on-screen, while the post-Star Trek: The Original Series did: Spock being an Ambassador (ST:TNG) and the implications that the Romulan Empire was more open to Federation assistance (post-Star Trek: Nemesis).

On the other hand, were there any post-ROTJ events implied or foreshadowed in any of the series' or movies? I doubt it, so such an explanation wouldn't be necessary, whereas it was necessary for the recent Star Trek movies.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, yes! Then I could keep the parts of the EU Legends that I already love and discard the rest [face_laugh] :p There are aspects of the new canon (which I've seen/read in novels) that are intriguing and well-written. The Han/Leia is particularly good. Basically what I'd keep if not the plotlines per se of Legends are some of the characters, those created/conceived of by Tim Zahn. [face_love] Their back-stories could be different, but I'd love it if Mara, Talon Karrde, and Grand Admiral Thrawn were around in some capacity. And slightly but more or less on-topic, I adore, adore, adore! the Trek reboot!!!!!!! Best thing since chocolate! [face_dancing] And I love chocolate!

wsk likes this.
  16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

This would make sense. I would appreciate the idea of the new movies alluded to the EU novels as if they happened before Episode VII. But I doubt that will happen. It would be nice if Luke spoke of missing Mara and/or loving her. But the parallel universe idea you had or some type of Days of Future Past/Terminator Genysis time travel thing would be interesting. Well, I imagine the concept would be fascinating, but I have a feeling I wouldn't like what the universe changed to exactly.

wsk likes this.
  17. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Old eu kinda gave a okay explanation several years before with the holodrama references from Luke skywalker and the shadows of mindor. Luke and Han have a whole conversation about the wacky stories that are made about them in what are basically movies in their galaxy. Best part was that Han made a deal with the studios and got compensated for them.

18. wsk

wsk Jedi Padawan

Sep 30, 2013
    It would be great if they have mara still, but even if they did we'd still be loosing so many great stories and characters , ok a lot of not so great ones too, but it really feels like they've thrown the baby out with the bath water so to speak. And one thing I can't remember being dealt with in any real substantial way in sw is multi dimensions, imagine a sith lord from one dimension finding some way to travel through dimensions, there would be so many possibilities to that kind of story. There just seems to me so many ways they could've done it so that you had the eu, the new canon and even a multitude of other dimesions all going, all equal in canon. This 'let's just clean the slate of everything' approach is lazy to me and smacks of profeteering, not anything to do with 'creative freedom'.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Can't argue with that. It has nothing to do with creative freedom. I like your approach. We EU fans may not like all the same stuff, but most of us can definitely agree with that entire paragraph. Well said, Mr. Wsk.

wsk likes this.
  20. wsk

wsk Jedi Padawan

Sep 30, 2013
    I'm just so glad I'm not the only one sitting here feeling this way about things! [face_relieved]

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  21. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    No, I still consider the EU as canon and this potential watering down by Disney as Infinities.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love convoluted time travel retcons and crisis on infinite earths types of insanity (I'm a comic book geek, these things happen every few years or so) so I would totally dig something like that to make it all one singular story. I love the solution in JJ Abrams Star Trek (and even in Genisys and DoFP) and I dig those types of stories.

If that doesn't happen, this is my solution I've posted beforehand:

JANIA: "So, mom, dad, Uncle Luke, you guys are all 'retired' now?"
    HAN: "Seems so."
    LEIA: "Yup."
    LUKE: "Well, after the events of 'Crucible', we decided to hang it up, and leave the fate of the galaxy in your capable hands."
    *Jag walks in, reading a Datapad*
    JAG: "Hey, guys, I know you're retired now and all, but I got this weird message on my datapad...something from starwars.com about us all being declared non-canon...?"
    JANIA: "Wait, wha-"
    *Jana and Jag blink out of existence, everything disappears into a flash of white light...which fades back to the Ewok party at Endor, with Luke, Leia and Han now suddenly their younger selves*
    EWOKS: Yub yub! Yub yub!
    *Han, Leia and Luke look momentarily confused and befuddled.*
    HAN: Woah...uh, Leia, what just happened?
    LEIA: I dunno, I got a headache, it's fading very fast.
    LUKE: Yeah... huh. Weird. I think we need a drink.
    HAN: Yes, let's get a drink and forget whatever it is we just forgot.
    LEIA: Agreed!

23. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I wouldn't want an in universe explanation for the reboot. I feel like such an option would make the EU futile. All of the characters achieve everything only to be erased. That would take put all of the satisfaction from the story. I'm quite happy with just having two separate universes. Legends is a complete story, amd I'm able to enjoy it whenever. I love legends and like to have it as its own story.

Now I have a new Star Wars story through the new canon. I'm enjoying it alot and it has rekindled some of my love for Star Wars. I'm having more fun with it than I have in years. I don't want canon to be what happened when everything was undone. I like it as its own story with some of the same events and characters. That way it remains the in universe first version of the events in the saga. I feel like this option preserves the integrity of both stories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.