main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do you want to see different kinds of swords rather than the light sabers on the LAS?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by -Stranger-, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Stranger-

-Stranger- Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2009
    ..........To be honest,this topic was the one I wanted to open most ever since I've become a member of that site,because the light sabers have been the most efficient weapons and the most important things in the SW Universe since the '77-made first movie.Every light saber differs itself from the others by its handle-part.Some have notchs,some have prominent metal/battery parts on themselves.In the real life,the swords were used as weapons in the ancient and medieval times,but projecting the handles of the l.-sabers with technological patterns instead of medieval motifs gives them a sci.-fictional appearance and makes them very effective for the audiences.I do want to see different kind of technological swords along with light-sabers on the live-action show;and not just the technology-endorsed ones but normal swords (like the steel-made Samurai Swords) as well.If the characters of the show use different style of swords (especially the technology-endorsed ones),that would increase the importance of the light-sabers for certain.The characters who wield those swords might be kinda-musketeer,be from different sect rather than the Jedi/Sith.

..........Let's take the 80's cartoon-show "Thundercats" as a model.At the 51st episode of the 1st season ("Excalibur"-one of my favourite episodes),Mumm-ra;the living mummy understands that there's no way to overcome Lion-O and his friends,for Lion-O possesses a powerful sword (the Eye of Thundera) which makes the Thundercats unbeatable.To break the mystic sword's power;Mumm-ra makes a cunning plan and disguises himself as "King Arthur" (who had lived centuries ago in the medievel ages of the planet.)With the appearance of Arthur;he goes to the lake where another sacred sword "Excalibur";much like the Eye of Thundera (but kinda-opposite of it) is being kept.By Arthur's voice;Mumm-ra summons the sword and takes it from the hands of "Lady of the lake" (the goddess who seizes Excalibur).After he gets the sword,he goes to the "Cat's Lair" (where the T.cats reside),he (with the sight of Arthur) defies Lion-O and challenges him for a duel.The two clash outside of Cat's Lair,and amidst the duel;the swords suddenly slip out from both Mumm-ra's and Lion-O's hands,they mount to the sky and begin to make duel by themselves...The story of the episode was cleverly designed,and instead of the difference of two swords,the opposity of Lion-O and Arthur's (Mumm-ra) appearances look so cool.Arthur wears an armour (and he "completely" looks medieval),on the other hand,Lion-O has sci.-fictional clothes on him.Altough his (Lion-O's) clothes have a medieval-style,they appear so "futuristic" when I compare them to Arhur's.Exactly the same mold of differences might be made for the live-action show.The Jedi/Sith both dress science-fictional clothes those have the reflections of medieval-style.There might be kind of Arthur-like characters those make the Jedi/Sith seem more futuristic.And furthermore,"completely medieval-styled" men also make the Jedi/Sith appear as characters those appropriate technological things...I might give another example from one of the SW comics.Following the 77-made movie's success,Marvel Comics published a nearly 110-issued series (which I mentioned in my 3rd thread).The world;which was created as a consequence of George Lucas' extreme creativity,combined with Stan Lee and his friends' unique way of comic making (don't think in the wrong way,I also like the Dark Horse-published ones),the comics were quite perfect.In one of these books (which revolve around the events right after "The Empire Strikes Back"),Luke,along with Leia,a creature named Jedidiah,Prince Zenid (who is exiled from his home planet),R2-D2 and C3-PO make their way to a planet called Velmor.Luke and his friends help Prince Zenid to take back the throne that's unrightly obtained by his (Zenid's) brother Anod by the help of Governor Zelor.Much like Luke,Zelor also seizes a technological sword;an "energy-sword" which's kinda-opposite of the light-saber.The opposity of the two swords appears so cool,and I wish to see the s

2. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    (starts a petition for bes'kads to be in TCW and the LAS)

3. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Considering Pre Viszla was going to be using a vibrosword, which I guess would have been a bes'kad (I'm not up on all the mando words), and George personally nixed the idea, I think you're going to need more than a petition.

4. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Swords can be anywhere, but lightsabers are what makes SW special. And I don't see a good reason for anyone to be running around with a sword, since it can't do anything a lightsaber can so it doesn't make sense... it can't cut through doors or block blaster bolts.

I was never a fan of vibroswords anyway. It just seemed like a lame EU attempt to make a sword sound cool, and would probably make it hard for the user to use when you think about it.

5. Scolai

Scolai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2009
    Vibroswords work for a couple of reasons:

1. Blasters can be disasterous on starships - one big hole in the side of a ship can ruin your day. Vibroswords don't tend to do this. Lightsabers would be just as dangerous.

2. Lightsabers are massless blades - while we think of them in terms of "lazer swords", they really have no mass other than the hilt itself and so are very dangerous to wield. Imagine swinging around a weightless sword that can cut anything, including you. Jedi have the Force that helps them sense where the blade is, how it's moving, where it will be, etc. And also remember as soon as the saber makes contact, there's force on the hilt that wasn't there a second ago, making it easily to lose your grip. It'd be a very difficult weapon to use.

3. Vibroblades wouldn't be tough to use. They vibrate at such a high frequency you wouldn't really feel it. It's kinda like using an electric razor vs. a bladed one - the really good electrics you don't feel too much vibration.

4. Lightsabers are tough to come by - some sources say only a Jedi can build one because of needing the Force to work certain bits inside the saber during its construction. Even if not, it's clear the Jedi don't let those things go easily, especially since you don't want a psycho running around with one giving all Jedi a bad name.

That's pretty much why you have vibroswords. There are other EU weapons too, mind you - lightfoils as an example, which are NOT lightsabers at all but instead are shielded/electrified fencing swords used by certain nobels, etc. But the lightsaber is still the "elegant weapon for a more civilized age."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.