Speculation Do you want unknow or big name stars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 2, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold Force Ghost

star 4
    Lucas did Star Wars with unknow (unknow the non-movie fan base, most of us knew Natalie, Ewan by name) stars. Star Wars doesn;t need a name to sell it. Lucas did like to bring at least one name at times. But even with ANH, he casted alec guinness cause the studio wanted one name they could use. I hate to think of Johnny Depp during around as a sith lord. I think unknow is the best way to keep going. Thoughts?
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 8
    Majority unknown/lesser known with a small percentage of veteran actors. Liam Neeson added credibility to a mostly incredulous cast.
  3. Ridley Solo Force Ghost

star 4
    Follow the formula; unknowns for the principles, stars for the supporting roles.
    Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  4. STARBOB Force Ghost

star 4
    Unknows are good, but I did love Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu.
  5. WhiskeyGold Force Ghost

star 4
    Yea I think it all depends on the actor and the role. Jackson was great.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 8
    Liam Neeson and Christopher Lee were the most inspired choices, I think. I liked Jackson, too.
    Healer_Leona likes this.
  7. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I'd like to think there will be all sorts of actors ( as in good) who will want a chance to be part of SW and may get minor roles, or major if good enough. Otherwise, I like the idea of new SW making new stars.
  8. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I want good actors who look the parts and can play them well. If that means casting only big-name actors, so be it. If that means casting only unknowns, so be it.
  9. GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Master

star 1
    if they choose big name actors i hope they possess better than feeble sword fighting skills. see also: sam jackson and ian mcdiarmid
  10. BBQ Bill72 Jedi Master

star 1
    I wonder if Jonathan Taylor Thomas would come out of retirement to possibly play a young Jedi??
  11. Norminator Jedi Master

star 1
    Both.
    but PLEASE inspire the veterans to do their best, for once.
  12. GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Master

star 1

well said, sir
    Norminator likes this.
  13. The_Book_of_Sith Jedi Master

Mark Hamill.

..and some solid unknowns.
  14. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    Veterans like Alec G. and Liam Neeson are fine in supporting roles and maybe unknowns or little knowns as the other characters ala Jurassic Park.
  15. Norminator Jedi Master

star 1
    Thank you, Sir. Although I shouldn't have said "for once", as Ian McDiarmid was fantastic, in my opinion.
  16. Moggsy81 Jedi Master

I just want good actors. People who I think are doing the business at the moment; Gabriel Byrne, Tim Roth, Sean Been, Christian Bale, Wes Bentley, Elijah Wood and how about Linda Hamilton for a female lead?
    Darthsuggs likes this.
  17. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll just go ahead and throw it out there, Sean Bean!!!!
  18. DarthNihilist Jedi Grand Master

i'll throw a name out... Cliff Simon. he is the actor best known for playing Ba'al on stargate sg1. i think he would be perfect for a role as an imperial officer or even Thrawn himself. just because they are going with an original story line doesn't mean that they couldn't use established characters from the EU??
    Last edited by DarthNihilist, Nov 2, 2012
    Lord_Dubi and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  19. Ridley Solo Force Ghost

star 4
    Ooh! Yeah, Cliff Simon could work...he plays evil so very well.
    Lord_Dubi likes this.
  20. Legolas Skywalker Force Ghost

star 6
    Why do you guys think that Sean Bean should star in it, as much as a good actor he is, his character always dies in every movie

I think they should use Johnny Depp, he is perfect for a villain role!
  21. Darthsuggs Force Ghost

star 4
    Sean Bean is sort of like a Peter Cushing or Christopher Lee type of choice. He's like the Lee van Clief of fantasy films. Also Damien Lewis because Homend rocks.
    Last edited by Darthsuggs, Nov 2, 2012
  22. Lord_Dubi Jedi Master

star 3
    A bit of both, un-named and well known stars will be good for roles. There are hundreds of less-known stars already actig in the Star Wars universe, mostly as voice actors for video games. Would be interesting for some of them to be cast on screen as well.

I agree DarthNihlist on Cliff Simon...Ba'al is one of the best villains in the Stargate series. And he is always cool to talk to at conventions. Had a chance to meet him at the San Diego and Long Beach Comic Cons. http://tinyurl.com/bgvf5al. Jewel Staite would also be good for a Star Wars role.
    Last edited by Lord_Dubi, Nov 2, 2012
  23. ObiWanandonly Jedi Master

Not counting any possible returning cast, there is a good chance that main character roles will go to actors new to the Star Wars franchise. So which would you rather see fill the main roles? My first instinct was unknowns, but maybe the new films would benefit from experienced actors who we know can perform? Liam Neeson was in TPM and at the time was a recent Oscar nominee, while Hamill, Ford, and Fisher were virtual unknowns when they starred in the movies.
  24. Antlers Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Unknowns. Please!

Some great actors become almost too iconic for certain roles, and it can sometimes be difficult to disassociate a famous character with an actor. Some people will watch TPM and always see Oskar Schindler.
    I don't want Batman, Iron Man, and Professor Lupin cast in the next SW film. I much rather have fresh actors that do not already come with popcultural associations. Also, fresh actors might approach the films with more enthusiasm and seriousness than seasoned celebrities.
    I would also like to see actors and actresses that look a little more real. I don't want to see plastic-perfect-blended-Hollywood women, especially.
  25. DarthMane2 Force Ghost

star 4
    Known actors aren't the issue. It's STARS that are the issue. No star should be in a STAR WARS movie. That means no Johnny Depp, no Brad Pitt, no Dustin Hoffman, no George Clooney, etc. You hire a star, and budget goes up. You hire a star, and nobody see's the character they just see the Star.

Casting an actor like Michael Fassbender who is known and popular, but not a star is the route to go with actors. Other than that, unknowns are good to.
    LWSwann and lokus like this.