main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Do you wish Dawn of the Jedi was published earlier?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    @Darth Caliban

Technological levels within a planet may rise and fall depending on natural disasters and great upheavals. We could go back in time further than DOTJ and the first humans in the SW Galaxy may wear jeans and logo t-shirts. My sense with Lanoree Brock in the novel Into the Void was that she belonged to a rather suburbanite family living as Jedi.

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Legacy II wasn't even an ongoing. They called it an ongoing, but in reality was a five-issue-miniseries-series that just didn't have any breaks between its arcs. For no discernible reason it was a slave to the miniseries-style five-issue arc, even when an arc didn't have enough story to fill two issues, let alone five. As a result we got that terrible, meandering third arc set on that glass-raining planet that paaaaaaaainfully stretched a bare-bones story out over five issues and then hardly had any resolution to boot. Why Bechko and Hardman felt they needed to spend five issues killing time is beyond me --- it was just one more piece of evidence that they had no idea what they were doing.

Havac likes this.
  3. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Maybe they thought they'd have ample time to expand the story in several more arcs before wrapping up the story, and that the story in Wanted: Ania Solo would have a singificant impact on the characters further down the line. I guess when they were told to end the series in a hurry, the Wanted arc was prepared far enough to make it impossible to go back.

4. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That could be, but i prefer a more ancient feeling style for stories set at the beginning of the jedi order and the old republic.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I think the modern look (done by Bioware for KOTOR and TOR, and also by DOTJ) was to attract the mainstream Star Wars fans at a time when it wasn't clear there would be more SW movies (DOTJ was done after ROTS, which Lucas said was the last film).

In TOTJ, they could take risks since everyone knew a new film was coming (the prequels).

6. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Re: Modern Culture versus Ancient Culture

To me, the distinction between what is modern and what is ancient is not always clear. We should assume every era in Star Wars is more advanced than our planet.

7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Good point. Look at Star Trek the Original Series. Their tech looks ancient but its functionality is far advanced than what we have in 2018.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    @sidv88 This lesson seems to be fundamental to science fiction. We have no proof that what we consider to be advanced technology is going to be considered archaic and merely transitional someday. Call it "Ethnocentrism" or "Techno-Centrism." We may be able to chart technological progress across a span of years. However, because our written history only goes back so many thousands of years, we, as citizens of planet Earth, do not comprehend technological advancement on the galactic scale presented in the Star Wars EU.

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I didn't intend for this thread to be anti-DOTJ. I love DOTJ, but wish it was published earlier so that it could create lore rather than being restricted by existing lore.

10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    These are the same issues I have seen in every DOTJ thread. It didn't feel restricted to me in terms of major events been established. John and Jan still had a wide area to play in and introduce characters and events. I like the idea of hearing about certain historical events and then later meeting these historical figures in a comic book story arc sequence. When we finally meet a certain historical figure in a comic book or novel, they might be drastically different in some way from their historical mythology.

I don't want to see unlimited stories told about a certain character using cheap throw-away dialogue (i.e. Luke, Han, and Leia). That quickly burns me out and tells me my time is not being respected.

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't think there were a lot of restrictions though. Remember, what we got ended up being entirely about a fully formed group called Je'daii and had no Jedi whatsoever, and that had nothing to do with pre-existing lore.

Also, the restrictions now for new canon are much worse. There's one guy called 'Prime Jedi' who made up the Jedi all on his own and wrote a bunch of books. No indications of dramatic wars on Ahch-To. If they wrote a new canon Dawn of the Jedi, it would be the philosophical musings of one character. Whatever Legends lore that "restricted" Dawn of the Jedi doesn't seem so bad compared to this.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't think it's as restrictive as you're making out. For one thing it happened so long ago that it's entirely possible for the Prime Jedi to be a composite character, in universe.

" 'Til All Are One " - Prime Jedi, probably

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Rodimus Prime sucks.

I realised how to make him cool in two simple steps, however:

[​IMG]

(I threw this together months ago for my own amusement, thank you for giving me an excuse to post it)

15. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    " 'Til all are dead" - Optimus Snoke

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    EDIT: seems it was not allowed

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    @Gamiel

I'd take that down if I were you. The rules are pretty clear and you've been here long enough to know better.

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If they do ever detail the Prime Jedi, he'd better be a very interesting character.

The First Dark Lord of the Sith should have been a real terror. Basically a Morgoth, Darkseid, Warhammer "Everchosen of Chaos", Ganondorf, Sephiroth, type of villain. But Ajunta Pall was a real letdown honestly. Who at LFL thought "Hey, remember that Sith ghost groveling for forgiveness in Knights of the Old Republic? Let's make him the First Dark Lord!"

The only interesting thing about Pall was how he managed to stay young throughout the Hundred Year Darkness (especially when Dooku, Palpatine etc aged much faster in less that time). But that comes off as less cool villain mystique and more "LFL didn't think this through." Especially if you take into account that Ajunta Pall was literally created last second by Bioware because they suddenly remembered Freedon Nadd (who was supposed to be the ghost) wasn't buried on Korriban.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Actually, I don't know better [face_dunno]. What have I broken?

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm thinking it was an image from an illegal comic book sharing website (a website that displays comic books that readers aren't paying for). Good to see the image was taken down.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    The descriptions of the Prime Jedi legend don't commit to much of anything. Unless anyone can find anything, there is no name, species, home planet, or anything. The image below suggests an alien, meditation, yin yang symbols, and he appears to be holding a lightsaber.

And another thing worth mentioning.....the embroidered image below reminds me of the Dark Horse DOTJ embroidered convention exclusive patches. I could see patches sold of the "Prime Jedi" below.

[​IMG]

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Prime_Jedi

The Prime Jedi was the first member of the Jedi Order. The first Jedi Temple on the planet Ahch-To contained a mosaic of the Prime Jedi in a state of meditation and balance.[1]

From Starwars.com

AHCH-TO JEDI TEMPLE
    The first temple of the Jedi Order sits atop Ahch-To’s sacred island, high above the surrounding sea. The temple has been worn away by wind and time, but a visitor will still find mosaics depicting the first Jedi and an ancient meditation ledge. This spot is where Rey takes her next steps into a larger world.

[​IMG]

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Aha, I found it thought Google (like the first image), did not really think to deep about where it was from

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Interestingly, some of the concept art for TFA does seem to indicate this - there are one or two pieces that were intended to be ancient Jedi statues that had been desecrated by lightsabers subsequently (I feel like these had to have been the inspiration for the giant fallen Jedi statue on Jedha in R1).

And Abrams did come very close to depicting Ahch-To as featuring floating boulders due to the raw power of the Force there, which if it had come on screen, would have been very DOTJ-like.

I do wish that the nu-canon supplemental materials had held off on featuring Tython, so that it could have been introduced as one of many legendary names of Ahch-To through the years.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It wouldn't matter much as Ahch-to is a rim world and Tython a core world? And the map showing this was a key part of TFA....

25. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    It looks like Ahch-To and Tython are located in different regions of the galaxy. Tython is located in the Deep Core. Ahch-To is located in the Unknown Regions which are Galactic West of the Outer Rim.

Given that the two planets occupy different regions, the planets' history may be reconciled somehow? I'm open to the idea of different legends or myths on how the Jedi Order started. It is more realistic to me to have conflicting stories.

Darth Caliban likes this.