main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Do Z-95 Headhunters sport astronomic droids?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ThrawnRocks, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I can't remember them erver mentioning the use of Astronomic droids, but I need to know.

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Not all have hyperdrives. There are many types of Headhunters, modified and improved over the years.

The first model had no stardrive, other were beefed up to be called assault fighters. Well, it's all in EGVV.

3. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    So any headhunter with a hyperdrive would have one?

4. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Are astromechs required for fighter hyperdrive? I mean, A-Wings and B-Wings don't have them, and they manage. Or were all fighters before the A-Wing made when an astromech was still required? I guess that makes sense because the Naboo and Jedi starfighters have them.

5. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Headhunters can have hyperdrive added to them. Same as CloakShape fighters, which can have a variety of weapons, armour and hyperdrive as well. Ships in the Old Republic were focused not on firepower but versatility.

Yep, A-wing interceptors don't have astromechs but their navcomps are sophisticated enough to not need them; same as B-wings. That just means pilots of those fighters must be extra trained to set up the hyperjump course plots themselves. Lack of astromechs also means they can't perform inflight repairs.

It makes sense though. B-wings break down faster than X-wings, due to their heavy systems and strain of the gyrostabiliser cockpit. Astomechs are obviated for fully tarined hangar mechs. Same for A-wings, as the stress of swift maneuvres and smaller hull systems.

6. JediBrain

JediBrain Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2004
    I don't think you need one for hyperspace travel. But you somehow have to calculate jump coordinates very exactly. You can recieve them via transmission from another ship, or calculate them manually.

Aside from that, the droid is there to help manage ship's systems. Not necessary, but desirable. Its like flying tandem without having to have a trained co-pilot. You can crank out a capable droid in a factory, where it takes years to train a living pilot. That is always how I understood the utility of an astromech for starfighter applications.

Brian

7. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Most fighters with just nav computers can only make a certain number of hyperspace jumps, something like two or three, before the pilot has to calculate a new set of jumps. Astromechs offer hyperspace capable fighters the chance to make more hyperspace jumps before the need arises to calculate a new set of jumps. R2 units can hold a set of ten hyperspace jumps for a trip before a new set needs to be calculated. An A-wing's nav computer can only hold two.

As for Headhunters, unless there's a particular model designed with a droid socket, I'd guess hyperspace capable Headhunters use nav computers, so they probably don't hold that many jumps in memory.

8. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    So capital ships have more capital navcomputers?

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    The Falcon has a nav computer and I've never seen anywhere where it's mentioned how many jumps it's nav computer can hold. So I'd assume that since the Falcon is bigger than a fighter it's nav computer is probably larger with a much greater jump storage capacity that would allow it to go for a much longer time before having to calculate new jumps. Cap ships are bigger than the Falcon, so I'd assume they'd be able to store even more jumps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.