main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Yeah, I like all the focus on characters created in the EU. Not everything is about those we see on screen.

revan772 likes this.
  2. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Thus ends my prediction that "Classified" was going to be an ongoing Boba Fett series, with Aphra and the Murderbots being the supporting cast as they were in Vader.

Happily, I like this idea better :D

Ewok Poet, Taalcon and revan772 like this.
  3. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    The murderbots I am very much looking forward to. I hate Dr. Aphra and wished she died, her story is done, there are so many awesome characters to make stories about this one just made me wretch, even during the Vader run whenever she was the focus I was bored this is a real let down. This dumb character gets an ongoing and Lando only gets a mini! Agh!!! I am so upset that this was the "classified" story. I would rather a Jar Jar ongoing!!!

4. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    You're officially expelled from humanity. Leave now. //points towards door

5. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I absolutely hate this pair of droids and was really hoping they'd be dismantled at the end of Vader. Aphra, for me, is alright though I would rather other characters get their own series.

All that negativity said, I'm glad that Marvel is moving away from series that feature the main film characters. I preferred the Dark Horse way of telling stories of their own created characters or more obscure film characters and will be glad to see Marvel attempt that a bit. I also think Aphra away from Vader will be potentially more interesting.

revan772 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Still haven't read DV #25 so she makes it out, but, hey, I dig me some Aphra and having her be front and centre of the book could be interesting. I still love how Gillen has Vader being Vader but getting a chance to flesh her out could be fun. And, score, Marvel officially has one of their own original characters fronting a Star Wars book! Gillen is a long-term planning guy so I'm assuming whatever threads he put down in Darth Vader will continue here.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This should be a fun series, and while Aphra paired well with Vader, that routine couldn't last forever. Nice that she gets to have her own stories now.

And I'm just glad to see an ongoing about a non-movie character. Good sign.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Cool news. Still a little surprised they are choosing to do this over a R1 but Aphra is definitely a fun character to read about and by the sounds of it it will be more of an Indiana Jones type of series where they will explore past lore of the galaxy.

It will be interesting to see how well this series sells as it will be the first one where the main character has nothing to do with the movies or tv shows.

I'm hoping they nail down exactly how old she is in this series. She obviously is quite a bit older than Luke and Leia since she keeps on calling Luke 'kid'. I'm still going with thirty. I think she is about the same age as Han.

SilentGuy66 and BobaMatt like this.
  9. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    =D= Expected but still it is going to be a fun little ride.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    And people have said "the NEU hasn't created its own distinct and loved characters like Legends did." Now one's getting their own comic series when previously, only movie characters had. :p

Ewok Poet, Aphra, spicer and 6 others like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Based on the interview Gillen gave it sounds like Aphra was being fairly truthful about her backstory with her mom and dad. Her parents did split and her mom died because of her idealism. Be interesting to see what kind of character her dad ends up being.

12. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    Losing Vader was always going to hurt, but I am so happy about this being the new ongoing series.

13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I think we'll get at one point crossover with the main Star Wars series. At the end of Rebel Jail, Leia said to Aphra that if she would ever survive Vader, she should come back to Leia and talk with her. I honestly don't think this line was just put there for nothing.

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    That's cool news. I definitely prefer an Aphra ongoing rather than Rogue One stuff. Of course this book is a gamble as well. All those characters are Marvel creations and won't have the selling power that Darth Vader has. I hope that it does well.

Strangely enough, I think Rebel Jail convinced me that Aphra could be the star of a book. Before that point I wasn't so sure. Though she'll need some new side characters.

Darth_Voider

I hope Aphra doesn't go all soft and rebellious, though.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Here's to Aphra teaming up with Lor San Tekka.

16. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    Maybe we'll finally get to know Aphra's given name when her father pops up? I can't see him calling his daughter by her family name.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Great news, I'm in. On a side note, I still can't help but to think Anna Akana would play a convincing Dr. Aphra.

18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope this series does well enough to encourage Lucasfilm to make more original character series after all dark horse pretty much wrote 80% of their comics with original/background characters? Eg: Legacy, Dark Times, Republic, Rogue Squadron

revan772, DelRiego and spicer like this.
  19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yep. This series will be a good testing ground to see how well characters not in the big or small screen can sell. DH didn't have the sales expectations that Marvel does (25,000/30,000 was considered great for them) so it was a lot easier for them to star characters in their series totally unrelated to the movie universe.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    So any chance that we get more details on her relationship with Sana I wonder?

Jedi Jessy likes this.
  21. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I would think so. The first arc will probably about her relationship with her father, but her relationship with Sana may be explored in another arc.

22. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    If course this series could potentially be set anywhere after DV #25 but I personally hope if this turns out to be be Indiana Jones in space that this is set post-ROTJ so the Emperor and Vader are gone so there will be no ties to the Empire. IMHO only then can she truly be both a rogue without the possibility of running into Vader.

23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    After the end of the second arc there'll be a big crossover with the main star wars series- Aphra Down!!!

24. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

After reading aftermath, people would know that is so true. After reading Lost Stars, people know it would be so ridiculous to state that the new EU can't make loveable characters.. This series is going to be fun. I'm not sure if there will be much excitement, but either way I'm glad an EU character is being expanded and have gotten more attention.

25. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    From the info we have as of now, it seems that the series begins while the Empire is still in power and the threat from Vader on Aphra's life is present. Whether the series will continue after ROTJ in the timeline is yet to be seen.