main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    So did I, the series so needs to get rid of them.

They just need to have her cross over with Lando and have it written by Charles Soule ;)

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015
    This is the first SW comic that I can't get excited about. There are a plethora of characters who deserved their own series more than Dr. Aphra, especially as an ongoing. The creative team can probably stretch their creative muscles a bit more with four wholly original characters over a series about Darth Vader, but I'm finding it hard to get excited about a character who, frankly, only existed to be Vader's disposable henchwoman. Maybe it'll surprise me, but, as it stands, I can't imagine this series lasting longer than 12 issues.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  3. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    I think this series shouldn't be surpassing 10-15 issues. I want of course expansions of an EU character, but there is just so much you can tell about Aphra which people can enjoy.

After all there are more EU characters, some which I definitely want to see rather than Aphra.

4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, I think it will suffer the same fate as the Kanan comic series, I like her but I really doubt it will be as long as the Vader series.

5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    It doesn't have to. Heck most of the SW comics thus far haven't even been ongoings. They've been mini-series.

Also is this the first SW comic to have an LGBT character as the main one?

6. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    If I had to choose between LGBT characters getting attention I'd want for Sinjir Rath Velus.

Matthaeus Sunrider likes this.
  7. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I had the same thought. I want more Lor San Tekka. I just picture him popping up in the background through all eras of the saga.

Kylun likes this.
  8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Agreed.

9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I like the art much better than the one by Larocca in Darth Vader. It's cool to see the furry aliens (can't remember the species name) from Rogue One, and the guy with the hat reminds me on something we'd see from a Moebius comic!

Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But she's not even a real doctor!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hahha, the character expressions from Aphra in those pages is grand. I'll be fun to see Gillen write a book about here where he can take her in a lot of directions. I'd wager this'll probably go more than 12 issues, if only because of it spinning off from Darth Vader and having hype from that book. I'm sure issue #1 will be a high seller at least.

revan772 likes this.
  13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yeah, I hope it makes something around 25 issues, just like the Vader series. And I would like to see a crossover between Doctor Aphra and the main Star Wars line.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Gillen writing 25 Vader issues and 25 Aphra issues would be 50 issues of awesomeness.

I'm just jazzed Gillen is still writing for Star Wars, I thought he had packed up all of his Marvel stuff and was doing creator-owned gigs now so me happy.

Jedi Ben and Darth_Voider like this.
  15. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    I'm still going to continue to read all of 000's as Creepio.

Darth_Pevra and spicer like this.
  16. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014
    I'm honestly not convinced that wasn't on purpose.

DelRiego likes this.
  17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

It wouldn't surprise me if they give hints to Aphra having sexual relations with men in this comic. I view Aphra as somebody who will do what she needs to do to get things done. If seducing Sana was what she needed to do to get what she wanted from her I could totally see Aphra doing that.

In my opinion I don't think Aphra has personal relationships with other people much. I have a feeling this comic will really delve into just how broken she is inside.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Aphra is "It Belongs in an Armory"-sexual.

19. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    He is a great character!!! Way better than Aphra!!!

Rax likes this.
  20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    DoctorAphra1Sketch3.jpg
    OMG that hat. It's beautiful. [face_hypnotized]

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd wear it.

22. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    That hat is worth the hype it got.

Honestly, I love Sinjir, but my answer about 'which LGBT character I'd rather see headlining a comic' is "both". Aphra's great, and I am curious about what will be done with her away from Vader.

revan772 likes this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But "Star Wars: Sinjir, ISB Officer" could be the next "Agent of the Empire"!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Whether you like Aphra or not, I think if you're in favor of Marvel publishing more comics about comic- or book-first characters, you should be rooting for this particular series to sell well. Marvel's taking a risk in making this leap, and if sales are abysmal I think they're more likely to stick to film/TV characters in the future (whatever the actual reason for poor sales are... marketing execs are skittish creatures). But if this sells well, it'll prove to them that there's a market for more original character-led series. Which would mean there's a better chance of someday getting a Sinjir or Rae Sloane comic.

Those preview pages are excellent, very expressive. I'm sure everyone is shocked to learn that I'm looking forward to this series.

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I thought the guy with the hat in the preview pages was Mar Tukk from TCW- we never did find out what happened to him

I personally think this series will make Aphra a more likeable character since she was always fighting an uphill battle against the fans when she was paired with Darth Vader as his sassy sidekick (pretty much the worse choice for a character like her to be paired with) now though whenever she says something only she'd say there's no risk of her ruining the badassness of a certain popular Sith Lord