main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

I don't think she just seduced her
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Those are extremely vague references. There are lots of different ways you could take that and the only truth you would have to hold to was that Aphra and Sana were around one another at some point.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Hell I didn't even pick up on the fact that Sana and Aphra had been in a relationship, first time I read the comic, I just assumed that they'd been friends and Aphra had betrayed her or something

BobaMatt likes this.
  5. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014

Nah, that's grade A sexual frustration from Sana.

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

And yeah I think we all agree that they had sex together. However you can't necessarily say that Aphra prefers women from a comment like that.

7. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    She can be bisexual

8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    If only.

Or Sana could be, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Outside of Aphra falling full on in love with a man I don't think it can ever be made 100% clear that Aphra is bisexual/ enjoys men since knowing Aphra if she was to meet a male love interest in the upcoming series she'd USE him but not CARE for him.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This could get me a RAE SLOANE comic?!?

*buys all the copies*

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    If only she'd survive past Empire's End.. I'm doubtful :(

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't want to post my reactions until I read DV#25 but I'm quite thrilled to see Aphra getting her own series- but I also share the excitement over a non-film character finally getting their own series.

It's not just the hat, it's the hat/shades combo.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    Ooooo what a risk?! An LGBT character and a woman to boot, too edgey and different! C'mon all they are doing is riding this wave of horsecrap that will be passe in less than a dozen issues.

14. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Oooh, burn, you got me. Glad to know my desire to see myself--a woman married to another woman--reflected in media is horsecrap to you. I'll take care to ignore you in the future.

Before I get to that, though, if you'd bothered to read that line in the context of the rest of my post, you'd have understood that the risk I was referring to was to have a non-film/TV character star in their own comic. Something you yourself expressed a desire for. Marvel has never made an ongoing series like that before now. Dark Horse did, but Dark Horse's sales are Marvel's pocket change.

I reiterate, because you might have missed it in my previous post, that if you are in favor of Marvel expanding the universe and giving more book and comics characters the spotlight, you should want this risk to pay off.

15. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Maybe I will just say it, as much I wanted to love the DV series, as good as its writing was, the art really really let it down. So I'm glad Larocca isn't doing it for Aphra.

As others have said this is a good starting point to expand on new characters. A large complaint by people for the anthologies and lit are "why haven't we gotten KOTOR, or obscure character x a series yet, they just want to focus on what's established". Both the lit, movies and comics have to start with what's established first and then expand. Someone else on this forum put it like this - you have to have your Iron Man and Captain America before you can get you black panther and Doctor Strange.

If this is successful it will encourage more original branching characters and stories not focused on our movie heroes. Partly why I have a gut feeling that anthology 3 is yet to be announced. I believe that film will step away from events/characters we know. Maybe not time periods but definitely characters. I still think a KOTOR style story is a long way off though.

On Topic - I am excited for the Aphra series and the art gives me hope that I will really really dig this ongoing!

BigAl6ft6, SilentGuy66 and Jedi Ben like this.
  16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm extremely optimistic, given Dr. Aphra's profession, about an appearance from HK-47.

spicer likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While that comparison may be valid for comicbook films, it doesn't quite work for actual comics, though. Yeah, you need flagship titles people can recognize to anchor your line with, but there is no restriction on simultaneously doing that AND an original title.

I'm not saying you have to, either- but it's a perfectly valid approach. It just different.

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

No kidding. In all honesty I don't see how someone could have read your post and felt that you were saying it was a risk because there was a supposed LGBT character in a starring role. Anybody who came to that conclusion was likely trying to text and post at the same time. It was pretty obvious in my opinion you were referring to the fact that she is a non movie/tv show character.

In anycase some people are blowing this whole LGBT thing way out of proportion. We really don't even know that Aphra is gay anyways. So there were a couple lines in the Rebel Jail arc that made it look like Aphra and Sana had slept together at one point. Given what we have learned about Aphra that hardly could categorize her as being a LGBT character. Aphra would do whatever was necessary to get what she wanted out of somebody. We have seen her be charming, we have seen her outright order the murder of someone...etc...etc. Aphra is someone if she had to would sleep with another (rather they be male or female) if it would help her get what ever it was she was after.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  19. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    It's obvious she's 'pansexual', like Miley Cyrus! Gotta give it to Marvel, always tapping into potential goldmines with current popular themes.

20. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Who even says that Aphra and Sana DID ANYTHING maybe Sana had something Aphra wanted (a weapon) so in order to get it Aphra seduced Sana to the point that Sana believed she'd met someone special and just as they're were about to get together Aphra stole the weapon and took off.

21. Cheeky Potato

Cheeky Potato Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    You can interpret Aphra's sexuality however you want, but there are lots of people who appreciate seeing LGBT representation in Star Wars (myself included) so how about we don't turn this into a 10 page sexuality debate like what happened in the Ahsoka thread a while back...

22. Matthaeus Sunrider

Matthaeus Sunrider Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 26, 2013
    No problem, here...

23. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    this thread is just a bunch of straight men complaining that this comic isn't about a straight man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I don't have a problem with it either, and in my headcanon she's bisexual.

BTW, if anyone is interested, we have an Aphra fanclub now in SWC (see my signature).

25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I am actually glad they will expand on her character and that she is getting her own comic line.

Darth_Voider likes this.