main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Fun issue. This series is being consistently great. Two things I particularly loved were
    the spread of the citadel, of course, and the unexpected connection between our imperial villain and Rogue One.

darklordoftech and spicer like this.
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This series continues to be the best SW comic currently released (unless you count today's release of Legends Epic Collection vol. 3, which contains Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison and Dark Times [face_love])
    Gah, I want the next issue now! Tripplezero's line "being dead should slow them down" is an instant classic. I have a feeling Tolvan got her injuries when the rebels attacked the Kyber refinery on Eadu as seen in Rogue One. Her wounds don't look fully healed to me, so I guess she got them, what, 8-9 months prior? How long after R1/ANH does this series take place again? And, also, how can the Aphra's and Krrsantan breathe the air on the half destroyed, long abandoned planetoid? I was expecting space suits, but maybe we'll get an explanation next issue(s) what makes the air breatheable. Oh, and as always, great art.

3. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Good issue! Marvel continues to impress with this book.

Tolvan was in charge of Eadu security? Also, an appearance of everybody's favorite incompetent Imperial- Ozzel! Is it just me or did the lightsabers that the remains of the Ordu were holding look a little larger than normal?

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. It seems at this point they plan on Aphra being around for quite awhile. They got that event coming up where Aphra and Luke pair up. I still have a feeling that they are going to have Aphra eventually join the Rebellion.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The skeletons appeared larger than an average human to me.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  6. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Another great issue. Who would have thought.. Well done Marvel! =D=

darklordoftech likes this.
  7. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    I think you're right. Maybe they're using the "ancient race of giants" trope? It's always cool to see giant races, so I'm not complaining.

spicer likes this.
  8. Darth_SHOT

Darth_SHOT Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Could it be that
    her cybernetics are a direct result from injuries sustained during the rebel bombing of the Eadu facility?

9. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    That's what I suspected.

10. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    spicer Snax Rebo
    Maybe they were giants because they were into genetic manipulation.

Snax Rebo, spicer and darklordoftech like this.
  11. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I have a question, please

Is Vader in Aphra's series?

12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    No, not in person. He was just mentioned a few times.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  13. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Oh, okay thanks. I'm hooked now so I think I'll read it anyway. :)

14. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Boring and generic first half. It was like Gillen wasn't even trying. Didn't like the art either. Second half was better though.

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  15. Anakin.Skywalker

Oct 11, 2016
    Darth Pipes

I rather agree. I won't be reading it when the other parts come out....I already read what the website had. Darth Vader was better.

16. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    Sounds dirty

17. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    Yeah, it was cool, really liked it and am loving knowing more and more about Aphra. Now, who was the commander? I thought I recognized her but couldn't place her.

18. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    New character- Captain Tolvan. She was in charge of security at Eadu presumably when the rebels attacked in RO.

19. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Captain Tolvan? This is the first story she's appeared in. Issue #4 is simply establishing that she...
    ...was previously stationed on Eadu as Chief of Security, but was assigned to clean-up duty on Yavin 4 by Grand General Tagge as punishment for her failure to stop the breach that led to the destruction of the Death Star. Essentially, she was off-screen during the events of Rogue One. The following is conjecture, but it's likely she was injured there as a result of the Rebel bombardment of the Eadu facility, requiring her cybernetics, and has been in recovery until now.

20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    For a second I thought Black Krrsantan was in the AT-AT, but that's silly. Everyone knows it takes 2 Imperials or 2 Ewoks to drive one.

Snax Rebo likes this.
  21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Just got issues 3&4. Pretty good book thus far. I love the connections/mentions of Rogue One, and even more so, the TOTJ feel to it.
    I wonder if Captain Tolan will follow the Aphras to the Citadel. That last panel looks like they're loading up the shuttle and getting ready to launch. And she was holding out on Ozzel a bit.

spicer and darklordoftech like this.
  22. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Something to keep in mind...

We still have Aphra 5 & 6 in March and April before we get to the "Screaming Citadel" in May so I guess anything is possible with Captain Tolan. I think #5 will be a sandbox story and then #6 will set up the next arc introducing the Big three (or at least Luke and Han) to the fold.

I think it's a smart move to do the crossover. I don't know how Aphra's selling, but it may sell better with Star Wars mixed in.

23. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    So from those Screaming Citadel covers posted on the official website, it appears that
    some kind of insects are going to be involved. Abersyn symbiotes?
    But naturally, the first thing that came to mind was:
    "Bugs. Why did it have to be bugs?!"

Jedi Ben likes this.
  24. Snax Rebo

Feb 1, 2017
    I think we're going to be seeing a character similar to the Geonosian Queen from TCW, controlling those little symbiotes the same way she controlled the brain worms.

25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

It is a smart move and that is probably why they are doing it to help keep the Aphra sales up there. Issue #1 of Aphra sold about a 100k but issue #2 dropped to about 61k. Still good but if they want to keep the Aphra series going for a lengthy period of time it's good to have crossovers like this to help keep the sales from dropping to low.

Snax Rebo and TiniTinyTony like this.