main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Possible plot twist: they are on the side of the heroes.

2. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Just curious, is there any website where you can check how each new issue sold during its first week?

3. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I want Aphra to mock Luke by calling him "Skyguy" in the Screaming Citadel arc.

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

http://www.comichron.com/

Chris_Fives likes this.
  5. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Thank you!!! :)

6. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    I can't help but think of Mara Jade with this crossover. Which I am completely open to. Is there a Chelli Lona Skywalker in our future? Probably not, but will be fun to see if she develops a grudging respect for Luke that grows into something more. Very excited about this crossover.

Also, it's been interesting to see how different artists draw Doctor Aphra. These Screaming Citadel covers (especially SW 31) make her look a little more middle eastern or Indian, than other portrayals. I thought the Vader Down artists made her look very different than the DV series (a bit more sexualized?). And, of course, her self-titled series definitely is a different look than the DV series...the covers are more anime style with the big eyes and the inside art is maybe a little more playful than the DV depiction.

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Unless they turn Aphra good and I don't know if I'd like to see that happen (its been done over and over again), I really see no future for a Chelli Lona Skywalker.

spicer likes this.
  8. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I think we're all just waiting for the Lando/Aphra crossover. Imagine the two of them trying to steal the same artifact. The potential is limitless. The timeline for Lando was never pinned down, so this could be before Lobot's push for him to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The series is a bit to Tank Girl-ish for me, she keeps getting away and goofing around to where its just awkward and crazy - its main appeal is the kinda retro SW and pulp stories and ancient stuff recalling the old pulps and whatever(older Marvel used a lot of R.E Howard and other authors back in the day). I am curious
    if the "Citadel of Rur" is connected to the EU/Legends character Rur, the dark Jedi and head shaman of the Terrible Glare.

MercenaryAce and vncredleader like this.
  10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Very very slim chance they would have Aphra and Luke getting together romantically. For starters there is a decent chance Aphra is gay (I imagine we will get a definitive answer on that in this crossover since Sana is supposed to be in it as well) but even if she isn't she still seems to be more Han's age than Luke's so I don't think they would be pairing them up anyway because of the age difference. Aphra seems like she would be more of a peer with Han and Sana than she would with Luke.

I do feel though there is a very good chance Aphra will eventually join the Rebellion to some degree. They kind of laid the groundwork for that to happen already in the Rebel Jail arc with Leia offering her to join them and if they want Aphra to continue to be around for a long time to come having her join the Rebellion and become a regular/semi regular in Aaron's line would be the way to do that.

silvereyed likes this.
  11. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Everyone joins the Rebellion. I like Aphra and her crew being a fun outlier.

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

True. However having her join the Rebellion would be a way to keep her character around for a good amount of time. I don't see the Aphra comic lasting anymore than 18-24 issues so if they wanted to have her story last longer than that bringing her into the regular comic line would be a good way to do that. She wouldn't have to be a character that shows up every issue but just a character that is around enough to where we would know where she is and what she is up to.

13. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Nah, Dr. Aphra would continue being Dr. Aphra. Academics tend to keep their last name intact as it makes things easier with the autorship of publications.
    That is, if Chelli Lona is ever exhonorated and her doctorate reinstated.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Lol, I can't imagine Aphra ever going through a peer-review process. :p

15. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I could imagine the peer review process ending with Triple Zero and Betee resolving any problems.

DelRiego and Karl0413 like this.
  16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    000 would make sure the review process is double-blind... by literally blinding the reviewer.

Oooh, how I love that we got an academic character in SW!

17. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    This book is fantastic. The art is not my cup of tea -- but the story is awesome. Pretty much everything about the comic is just so damn fun to read.

18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Yea, Aphra is definitely drawn differently than she was in DV but I'm still loving it. I'll keep getting it as long as it's this fun. Plus, I love the fact she's this character that lives on the fringes and associates w/bounty hunters so me might see more of them.

19. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
  20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    I hope they keep her around! I think she could easily be brought back as a supporting character or main character over the years.

21. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I hope Aphra goes back to working for Vader.

:)

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Extremely unlikely given what happened at the end of Darth Vader #25.

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

You are setting yourself up for dissapointment my friend. She'd be about a thousand times more likely to join the Rebellion at this point than to go back to Darth Vader.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    That would break my heart. :(

Darth_Pevra and Charlemagne19 like this.
  25. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Aphra will at least have to consider turning Luke over to DV when they team up in Screaming Citadel. But, I think she would come to the realization that you can never square things away with DV and DV would kill her even if she handed over Luke. So, I assume she'll dismiss that thought. But, I'd be surprised if she doesn't consider it.