main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    While she is morally...lacking she's hard to hate. She's just so fun.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Issue 6 looks fantastic. This is one of the best covers from the new cannon.

Very curious how they are going to link this issue with Screaming Citadel and what Aphra's thought process will look like to bring Luke into the scenario.

Gotta love that eerie green backdrop in issue 5 carrying over to issue 6.

revan772 likes this.
  3. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Loving the series so far, really hope in a future arc we'll see some more of Sana Starros and go into the history between her and Aphra that was alluded to in the main SW comic. Also really wishing those BT and 000 figures had been at Celebration Europe last year :(

Darth_Pevra and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
  5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

[​IMG]

Daneira, Qel and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just realised that Aphra's childhood home looks A LOT like Mt. Thunderstone.

7. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Maythe14thBeWithYou Sana Starros...don't read this if you're planning on going back to read the SW and DV new cannon back issues.

Sana Starros made a dramatic first appearance in SW #4 claiming to be Han Solo's wife. Turns out Han and Sana had a fake wedding as part of one of their cons and that Han may have stiffed her in the money they earned. Also, in the Rebel Jail arc, it was clear that Aphra and Sana had a romantic relationship that Aphra ended not on a good note..and that built up quite a bit of hostility in Sana towards Aphra. Yes, I agree with Qel that Sana Starros HAS TO be involved in a Doctor Aphra arc.

8. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Aphra's dad looks way too familiar. He mentions awakening of the Force and he found the immortal Rur...hmmm.

9. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
    Ahh...I l know who Stana is now, just her was having a hard time putting a face to the name.

10. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Both she and Luke are so.beautiful here. #shallowcomment

12. Maythe14thBeWithYou

May 26, 2014
  13. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    With the last issue of the first arc of Doctor Aphra coming out next Wednesday, just wanted to share a link to marvel.com featuring an interview with Kieron Gillen teasing issue #6 and also the forthcoming Screaming Citadel cross-over. "I would say by the end of the story you know exactly who Aphra is." I am interpreting this to mean that the good doctor will do something very bad to her poor old man. But that may just be me.

https://news.marvel.com/comics/62629/doctor-aphra-annual-checkup/

HeatherAntos and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    HeatherAntos likes this.
  15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The green stuff looks a little too like the Nightsister magick, wonder if its related. The robotic antagonists remind me of the golden army of Hellboy II, even with a spirit essence stuff of Dr Kraus being able to posses an automaton body.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Now that's the stuff! We're actually dealing with ancient history here, instead of simply glossing it over! :)

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah the way it's presented it sounds like Rur and the Ordu Aspectu were already ancient history by the formation of the Republic, which right now makes them the only people we know about from so long ago.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The craziness in this arc has gotten crazier each issue, which me likey. I get the feeling it's setting the ground for the Screaming Citadel arc (and the Yoda arc in SW was also kind of ancient Force nuttery as well but Aphra has been more entertaining)

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah, Marvel is starting to delve into the force stuff. This was the domain of TCW/Rebels, but now comics are coming up the rear. Its only a matter of time before we get some sort of novel on the force and stuff like that. I'm betting, that Star Wars Episode 8 will be very big in that aspect.

20. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Just picked up issue #6 on my lunch break...does not disappoint at all...quite the contrary...if you were worried that Aphra was starting to turn "good", your fears will have...

....vanished after finishing this issue. Doctor Aphra is still a very bad girl. Great ending to this arc that shows what Aphra is all about. Happy to see Aphra and her dad care for each other and mend some old wounds, but also happy to see she maintains her edge and is still the rogue archaeologist we all know and love. Very cool frames of Aphra (and Papa Aphra) wielding a lightsaber...LOVED that! Thought the issue would bridge to Screaming Citadel more directly, so I am still curious how issue 6 and Screaming Citadel are going to connect. Assuming the crystal Aphra kept will somehow expose the Citadel and she'll need Luke's assistance. Also, more evidence in this issue (in addition to the Aphra/Sana story) that Aphra prefers women. Great arc...love this comic.

21. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    My only tiny object of disappointment is that
    the Yavin 4 chapters don't seem to connect well enough with the rest; I mean, what exactly were the ties between the Massassi and the Ordu? We're never told.

TiniTinyTony and Jedha John like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I can't wait to grab this after your spoilers. :D Thanks.

23. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    This was a blast. I like it more than the main SW comic. The Screaming Citadel is gonna be interesting since they described it as a gothic horror story in SW, and the villains have a medieval/Victorian vibe to them.

Ewok Poet and DelRiego like this.
  24. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    @LelalMekha I agree with your comment...

What is the connection between the Massassi and the Ordu? How did the Massassi obtain the Massassi pieces/crystals from the Ordu? Were the Massassi ancestors of the Ordu who civilized Yavin 4? If so, why did they leave the Citadel of Rur?

LelalMekha likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Yep, I think the Yavin 4 episode raised a lot of interesting questions, but no answers whatsoever were provided. That almost makes it a Big Lipped Alligator Moment.