main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #14-19: Remastered (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedha John, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I liked Kylo in TFA. But I'm starting to find his shtick pretty dull. I'll take an entertaining psychopath above a badly written "conflicted" villain. But that's just my opinion.

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  2. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    THIS ISSUE IS GROUNDBREAKING FOR STAR WARS! :D
    Aphra and Tolvan kiss!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Oooh, what a fun and funny issue. The dialogue is so entertaining in this series. I could name a hundred little things I enjoyed, but here's one of my favorites:

Aphra using her electro-tattoos! Neato. (We haven't seen that yet, right?)

[​IMG]

4. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    FANTASTIC ISSUE!
    First of all, the cover is amazing. Ashley Witter is my favorite cover artist and IMHO this one is her best Doctor Aphra cover yet. And that says a lot considering her Aphra #1 and #8 variants are incredible.

The art in this issue is excellent. The colors pop off the page and the facial expressions are superbly done. The page of "the Kiss" is an instant classic in SW comic book history (or any medium's history) on many levels. It fit into the story perfectly and the build-up over past issues really paid off. Loved the writing in this issue. "I like your hat" was very funny given the circumstances. The character building of each team member is also well done as we learn a lot about each member's philosophy. Looking forward to learning more about Sister Sixx as she is my favorite team member. Loved the way Aphra offing Rexa "off-screen was done...ZZOT! And for some unknown psychological reason, I just love how Aphra can fly so casually in her actions and words after doing the most cold-blooded things. So true to her character. The plot is also fantastic...really like Trip's quest to learn its history. The next issue cannot come fast enough.

This is the best SW comic hands down.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Great issue! The story is ridiculously fun with art to match it. Liked that Tolvan and Aphra kissed. Based on the preview it was clear as day that Tolvan is way into Aphra, but I expected a few more issues of teasing. Glad that things can get moving between them now, especially that Tolvan has (unofficially and mysteriously) joined Aphra and her crew. Judging from what Aphra said to Tolvan after the kiss, I get the impression that she actually cares for Tolvan and that she might even settle for her if given the chance. With all the teases of 000 memory, I'm more and more leaning towards the idea that HK-47, or maybe an HK-50 old republic droid was 000 at some point. Also, cool monster action, can't complain about that. Nice little hint that some Lovecraftian-like horrors were at large in the galaxy at some point.

6. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    This is a perfect opportunity for building some galaxy history and even some Jedi/Sith history if your HK-47 theory proves correct. Could be the way Revan enters the new canon. I would be delighted if we recognize some of Trip's previous "vessels".

Doctor Aphra as an archaeologist has so many possibilities for uncovering GFFA history and this storyline has a lot of potential to learn some really cool details of the past and to introduce new and Legends characters from the old republic or other times. I'm staying present in the moment and really appreciating what we have in this series. But, in the back of my mind, I can't stop myself from hoping that this series survives for a third year and beyond!

7. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    This series gets better and better. Lots of possibilities are opening up. Bravo.

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    this brings warm feelings to my heart

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Great issue as always. I'm definitely interested to see how Hera is going to fit into this story here in a couple issues.

@Jedha John it will definitely be interesting to see what they do with the character in the future. I still say the best chance is that she will be brought into the regular series here in about a year (with it now being written by the guy that created her and all). Could be wrong however. Whatever they choose to do with her though I will definitely be following along.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Jedha John and tatooinesandworm like this.
  10. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    Wow! At this point I should just copy and paste my response to each issue to save time. Holy. Cow. This comic is amazing. Art, characters, dialogue, action, etc. This is, to me, the most perfect a Star Wars comic can be. It feels very very Star Wars but also very new and exciting just like the old EU novels did for me when I was twelve year old taking my first steps into a larger world. I don't know where Aphra is going from here but I am so glad to be along for the ride.

11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I could be wrong but I still don't see Aphra as being a character we are always going to have a regular monthly story about. I feel that we are getting a very defined character arc for her right now and once done she will end up being a character that just shows up every now and then (say every third or fourth arc) to help the main characters of that series out on a mission. I do have a feeling we will always know where she is but I don't think we are always going to know what she is doing on a day by day basis like we virtually are getting now.

When I say that I see her eventually joining the Rebellion that in no way means that she is eventually going to be flying around in the Falcon with Luke and Leia (although I seriously doubt having her be a replacement for Han after ESB hasn't been something that has been considered by Marvel) but more along the lines that she continues to do her own stuff off-screen and then helps Luke and Leia out when they need it.

Aphra eventually having the protection of the Rebellion though I think would be a good way to explain how she survives far into the future throughout the entirety of the OT and beyond.

12. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Dr Aphra in this issue:
    [​IMG]

AhsokaSolo likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As a fan of the Cult Encounters info:

I thought this Dr Aphra issue seemed very like it was drawing from the same general background, for one scene:

specifically, when Aphra describes a "techno-totem of a chthonic worm god from an age of fable and horror."

14. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm not here to hate or anything like that but as I've said a couple times before I don't "get" this series or why it's regarded so high.

Having said that I'm perfectly willing to concede that it's an all round solid series

redxavier likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well first of all you need to like 'Aphra' as a character in order to enjoy this series. If you don't like her as a character than you probably won't enjoy the series no matter what it does.

16. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's really a story about people who hate tookas. Aphra - 2. Tookas - 0.

17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I found this latest issue hard to follow - specifically the whole battle with the monster and why the imperial shuttle crashed through a wall. I do like the Aphra and Tolvan dynamic, even if the latter seems far too smitten and distracted for an otherwise rigid Imperial officer, and the premise with Triple zero sounds interesting.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Boy, Triple-Zero really knows how to chew the scenery, doesn't he? The whole idea of a super-villain in the body of C-3PO is hilarious and scary at the same time, kinda like murder clowns. Oh, and the rest of the issue was cool as well. Kudos to Marvel for being so progressive.

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    This issue was my absolute favorite. This series was building and building and we got some great payoff. Love the art and the dialogue... but especially the characters. I’m actually counting down for the next issue, which normally I don’t do. Triple Zero suddenly got way more interesting to me.

Jedha John likes this.
  20. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    I want the Aphra figure to release already... every issue I get more and more invested. I am loving Aphra and 000 a lot more. I am hoping he was HK, and also hope they bring in more Legends stuff.

Aphra really seems to hate Tookas though... even shows this to be true on the cover of the next issue lol.

21. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I hope they eventually make a Aphra Lego figure.

22. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    The set could also have 000, the astromech, the Wookie and Vader. The playset could be where he first meets Aphra too. There would be a lot of cool Lego playsets from the two series.

starfish likes this.
  23. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Or the set could feature the Ark Angel. "Welcome aboard the Ark Angel, sir Darth Vader. Big fan. Huge!"

[​IMG]

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Come on legos, make it happen.

25. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Like some of you posted, this issue is fantastic. I loved everything from issue 16 and cant wait for issue 17. This series is by far the best in the entire line.