main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #14-19: Remastered (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedha John, Oct 17, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Great issue. Well I think it is fairly obvious now that Aphra is going to need to go to the Rebellion in order to find safe haven. I think by the end of this current year she will be trying to get help from Luke and Leia.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  2. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    Doctor Aphra #14 is hands down my favorite issue of the new series! I was not a fan of the 1st story arc (if we never hear about Rur or Ordu Aspectu again, it will be too soon), but this new arc has a very promising start. As far as I'm concerned, this is the first issue of the Doctor Aphra series and everything that came before didn't happen. :)

I did have a chuckle when Tolvan was leaning against the chain linked fence around the settlement. Force fields and other such scientific advancements are so common place in Star Wars, it was surprising to see a conventional fence.

Looking forward to the next issue.

3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Personally, I have enjoyed the entire series - minus the side step that is Screaming Citadel. This issue was really fun and I agree has a lot of interesting paths it can go down in the next couple issues.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

spicer likes this.
  4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Something makes me think there is more to it than Triple Zero simply threatening to give her to Vader if she doesn't obey him. It almost makes me think that Triple Zero is threatening to do the same thing to her that happened to Agent Terex in the Poe comic.

5. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Don’t want you to get in trouble. Check your spoiler brackets

6. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Looks like it is under the spoiler tag. Was it not before?

7. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015

Must look different on Tapatalk. When I quote you, your end bracket is missing the “/“ before the word spoiler. Shows up without tags on mobile.

8. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    OH MY GOD IT'S TRASH HULK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce likes this.
  9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Great art, interesting story....I’m all in on this Aphra series.

10. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    My favorite issue yet! Clever plot, good pacing, and fantastic lines and colors.

I am LOVING Tolvan. Very impressed with how much character development Gillen & Spurrier managed to pack into just one issue. We learned so much about her personality and self-image.

Rexa's design is cool as heck. When we first saw her on the cover of Aphra #15 I wondered if we were getting more of Pash Davane (Bash from SW Annual #2).

"Joystick Chevron". [face_tee_hee] Oh, Aphra.

Darth_Pevra and tatooinesandworm like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Doctor Aphra #14 - Remastered Part 1

I also enjoyed this as well. Very good art and pacing. It made me want to go back and re-read when Tolvan first appeared which I may do if I have the time. I'm genually surprised I still give a crap about Aphra so I must commend the writers first and the artists second as she is drawn different in every single comic. I know covers are designed to sell comics but I don't understand why she was in a white dress on the cover but never wore that dress within the pages during her last adventure. On a positive note, I am glad that she is and not scanned. That stuff looks horrible.

Is this the first time Aphra mentioned that
    her tattoos are "electro-tattoos"? Maybe she mentioned them before but I can't recall. I don't know what that means, but I want to hear that story and more about Tolvan and her deformations? - whatever that means as well.

SilentGuy66 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    So exactly how are Gillen and Spurrier handling the writing duties now. Are they taking turns on the issues or did Gillen pretty much just plan out where it was going to go and Spurrier is writing out the actual scenes?

TiniTinyTony yes I believe that is the first info we have gotten thus far regarding her tattoos.

Also how long do you all think Aphra will be around in universe as a character? I have a feeling she is going to be around for a long long time. Definitely throughout the rest of the OT and I can definitely see her living well into the post Jedi period at this point also. They are really setting her up to be a perfect candidate to be one of the ones that helps Luke hunt down old Jedi lore (which we know he spends a lot of time doing in the post Jedi time period).

I really think she could even be around to the point in the timeline where Luke's acadamey was destroyed. Infact if she does help him hunt down Jedi relics and they build a close bond over the years (rather that be a relationship or just a very good friendship) and she happens to be one of the casualties in the attack on the acadamey it would help explain Luke going into a depression.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol. But do you not know Thanoth? Guy's the ****.

14. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    He really is. His cameo in this issue made my day.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If I could write a SW novel right now, it would be a collection of short stories
    featuring Thanoth solving cases on Coruscant.

16. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    I personally would love to see Aphra help Luke hunt down old Jedi Temples and relics and for them to develop a deep relationship on any level. Those adventures would be a lot of fun to read or watch in any medium. I agree that Aphra is a character they have big plans for.

In this arc, I think Tolvan will be the one who bails Aphra out of trouble. But, I also agree that eventually she will work with the Rebellion much like Han Solo's character arc.

17. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Loved this issue! Really nice art and storytelling and great characters. Quite possibly one of the best of the run since the first arc.

La Calavera and tatooinesandworm like this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    One thing that I would like for them to do is for them to give Aphra a definitive age at some point. As of now we still don't know how old she really is. We just know that she is old enough to be able to have a clear memory of the event that caused her mom to die as well as old enough at that time to be able to survive on her own afterwards. We know that she is definitely quite a few years older than Luke and Leia but how much older we don't know yet (though we can probably put an age range down of her presently being in her late twenties to early thirties).

I imagine they are keeping her exact age open at this point until they solidify what her main arc as a character is going to be. If she ends up getting into a relationship with Luke eventually I would imagine they would want to lessen the age gap between them a bit.

19. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    She's not going to date Luke! All of Luke's romances (besides Mara) last for five minutes and end with the girl dying.

20. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Aphra is the new Mara and the new Han rolled up in one shiny new character!

21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah I do think there is a good chance that Aphra is going to end up being the new canon's version of Mara Jade. If you look at the first couple years of Mara and the first couple years of Aphra their characters aren't really all that different.

And if in a few weeks if we find out that this ends up being true.

[​IMG]

Just think how much the Luphra thread is going to take off.....

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I din't think that Rey is Aphra's daughter, but you are right, this thread will take off nevertheless. :p

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    While Aphra is essentially a female Indiana Jones, the big difference is that Indiana Jones cares about people and he doesn't put them in danger on purpose. Aphra is extremely self centered and only cares about herself. She does have some redeeming qualities, but she's has a lot of "Loki" in her where she'd just as soon hug you and then immediately betray you for her own self gain. I get it. It's a dog eat dog galaxy.

With that said, I don't want her with Luke, and IMO, she appears to have an affinity more towards women. If there was any story-line with her trying to have a romantic relationship with Luke or anyone for that matter, I would always be wondering, in the back of my mind, what her ulterior motive would be.

24. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Back to Tolvan and Aphra...

I think Tolvan is more candid and reveals her authentic self (bereft of the restraints that Imperial protocol would dictate) with Aphra holding her at gunpoint because Tolvan does indeed believe that Aphra is going to kill her to cover her tracks. Tolvan is looking back at her life, expressing regrets, acknowledging her deformity, all signs of weakness she would not reveal to someone unless she thought this was the end. Excellent way to dig deep into this type of character to see what lies behind the Imperial façade. I don't see any ulterior motive behind Aphra's interest in Tolvan as she has kept Tolvan alive twice now. Aphra is lonely and finds Tolvan interesting. Looking forward to see what is to become of Tolphra.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Aphra has been humbled since we last saw her in issue 13. She very clearly is in fear for her life and it does seem Triple Zero is in complete control of her at this point. I think this has brought out the good side of Aphra. I think this part of the story with her being under the thumb of Triple Zero was put in exactly for those reasons. To bring out the good side of Aphra and let readers know what she is like deep down. That way it would be a little more believable when she does eventually start fighting for the good guys.