main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #9-13: The Enormous Profit & Annual #1 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Good issue. Definitely a set up issue for the next upcoming issues but still a great bit of dialogue in this one (as there always is with Gillen).

I guess we know now how Aphra escapes Vader. The interesting thing will be though will year 2's main story be about her trying to hide from Vader and where she decides to go to try to get away from him?

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Most of the varied syndicate bidders or whatever they were supposed to be, really did not stand out to me. The armed up Rodians reminded me of Drexl Roosh and his crew from the PS 2 version of TFU. This oddity was strange, seems an old Sith Lord concept from TPM was recycled?!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rur the lone golden army droid I guess will end up destroyed by Vader or Luke I suppose at some point.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I really like the design of the Ezaraa. Wouldn't mind a nuBFC-esque story someday about them starting ****.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love Aphra's new "anonymous" domino mask, her regular outift is cool but can she just wear the mask the whole time now? It's very Mockingbird Superhero style.

So how many "Bad guys bid on evil stuff" stories have we had from Marvel in the last few years? Off the top of my head, there's one in Poe Dameron, Screaming Citadel, Darth Maul and now Doctor Aphra. (She may have gotten the idea from Screaming Citadel so that kinda counts).

Also the Murder Droids situation seems to be coming to a head, I can't see them sticking around any longer now that they're actively trying to subvert and maybe even kill their own master.

5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I love how much universe building this series does. I enjoy the others books but none of them made the galaxy feel this big save for maybe Han. Gillan is really inventive and I hope he brings back some of these groups. I really hope at some point the Mrlsst Trade and Science Academy shows up. It would be funny if they use Rur as a pseudo reference to that fake Jedi ghost thing from that comic.

Congrats guys! Which letters where yinz?

Marvel loves doing that plot. I remember that exact thing happening in Waid's DareDevil.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Doctor Aphra #11 preview
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Lol at Aphra throwing off her heels to run. Relatable. I love little details like that.

8. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    While I can't relate, I also love it

I wish my daughters would try that more often when they decide to take off at full speed after playing princess dress up.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Senpezeco likes this.
  9. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    If Colin Trevorrow is the one doing this arc, Aphra would have worn her high heels all the time.8-}

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    And Bryce Dallas Howard would have gone on and on about it being realistic...

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

11. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    If Aphra's feet are as tender as mine and this wasn't a comic book her soles would be shredded and bloody by the end. Still, probably better than twisting an ankle and not being able to run at all.

Daneira likes this.
  12. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    It's a wonder anyone even trusts her at this point.

13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I love that Aphra's two lessons perfectly sum her up, get out of the firing line and run. Not only from danger but from pretty much everything.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  14. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    My letter was the last one from John Ferer. That was cool that the editors did that Doctor's Notes page.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Love the preview. One small question on the opening crawl...

"A great plan - until one client's demand to see a demonstration of Rur's technopathic abilities results in Rur possessing the body of a droid and seemingly freeing himself..."

Is a request for a demonstration what really led to Rur possessing the body of the droid that is going to wreak havoc in issue 11? Not really. Everyone got their demonstration back in issue 9, now at the end of issue 10, no one wants another demonstration. The murderbots repairs of the droid and their apparent release of Rur's technopathy led to Rur possessing the droid again. But, maybe I am being nitpicky.

Super excited for this issue tomorrow.

16. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  17. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    A lot of great action and beautiful art in Issue 11...If issue 10 showed off Gillen's talent, issue 11 showcases Walker's skills.

...and what an ending. Reminiscent of Vader's entrance at the end of Rogue One and beginning of Episode IV. Issue 12 cannot come soon enough. Love how all of the factions are out there fending for themselves and what interesting partnerships: Shadow University with Ezaraa, Pride with the Hutt, and Toov with...I don't know what kind of alien that is. What is it that Trip is going to propose? I hope we're only halfway through this arc because I really love it. Gotta assume that Aphra and the murder droids are going to unleash Rur's technopathy on Vader.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought that their "galactic conqueror wannabes" theme was rather reminiscent of the Hiromi.

Jedi Knight Fett and CooperTFN like this.
  19. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Who knows maybe this arc will end with getting BT and Triple Zero back so that they can appear in the main star wars line? (until Gillen takes over writing duties, writes Aphra into the main series and retakes possession of the droids)

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Will be interesting to see what the droids make Aphra agree to in order for them to help keep her away from Vader.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  21. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Maybe they want Aphra to unleash Rur against Vader resulting in one of their "masters" being destroyed and the other one granting them freedom. Imagine Trip and BT roaming the galaxy without any masters whatsoever. It would be interesting to see an arc involving the Droid Gotra with Trip and BT joining them (or more likely taking over them).

Senpezeco likes this.
  22. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    In Legends Threepio and Artoo did start a droid uprising by accident right? Maybe Tripple zero and beetee do that but intentionally.

23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think there's much chance this won't end with Aphra sacrificing Ruur to delay Vader and then realizing she has only one place to go to avoid his wrath.

Yes, the Rebellion.

After all, she's just burned bridges with every criminal in the galaxy.

24. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Definitely seems like it is shaping up that way. Especially with Gillen writing both series now. She won't go to the Rebellion immediately but I wouldn't be surprised if the second year of the Aphra series ends with her asking Luke, Leia, and Han to help her. They might be planning on her coming into the main series in part to help fill Han's absence in the post Empire era.

25. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Or not. Not every character has to be involved with the Rebellion. Just let Aphra be Aphra and keep her away from the Big 3 outside of a few brief encounters.

starfish likes this.