main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #9-13: The Enormous Profit & Annual #1 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I still want to know how and why the Ordu Aspectu and the Massassi are connected, though.

2. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah that is something that I really want explained. I mean maybe they sought the Massassi out cause they were also Jedi Exiles (sorta)

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I would imagine that this is referencing whatever deal she has to make with the Murder Droids for her to be able to escape the path of Vader. I would say that they have their limitations removed except for the restriction to kill Aphra, and now she has to do what they say for an arc.

This leads me to believe there will not be an Aphra/Vader stare down right before she jumps into her narrative escape pod.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Jedha John likes this.
  4. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    The Annual....ughh...not my cup of tea at all. I hate to say it as Doctor Aphra is my favorite comic, but this Annual absolutely wasted the opportunity of exploring Black Krrsantan's past...

I was really looking forward to this Annual and to learning of Krrsantan's history with the Xonti brothers and IMHO this was a total letdown. Krrsantan volunteered for the training and seems to have gone along with the Wolverine bone-coating, and now wants to repay his life debt to the Xonti Brothers by doing the same thing to them? This Annual really left me confused as to why exactly Krrsantan hates the Xonti Brothers so much when he ostensibly volunteered for everything they did to him and seems to actually like his prowess in the pit. Does he hate them because they won't let him honor a life debt to them? Or does he want to kill them (because he knows they won't survive the operation) because he doesn't like what they did to him? Either way, I am not into this story at all. This could have been a fantastic arc if they took it a different direction and instead it's just a very subpar Annual. I didn't even recognize Aphra when she first appeared in the book. I hate to be a downer on this one, but this did not live up to expectations at all.

ChickenDroid likes this.
  5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I actually really liked this one, I've been waiting for some form of backstory to make me care at all about Black Krrsantan and this was that. Art was great, loved seeing trandoshans again.

6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I really liked it as well. Gillen's writing is always top notch as he is great at giving new characters personality virtually immediately. Little confused on the timeline placement at first but it looks like this issue would be placed inbetween Aphra issues #8 and 9 when they had all those timeskips.

7. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I really enjoyed this issue too!

The art, the variety of aliens, the graphic depictions of the Xonti brothers' brutality, and especially the banter between Dixnet and Domthro -- I found them very entertaining and would be quite happy if we ever see them pop up again in future SW media.

Trip and Beetee have largely worn out their welcome with me, so I was a bit turned off to see them again... but I think they were used just the right amount in this issue. Usually I find their scenes and dialogue too drawn-out. Trip's quips can be quite funny but the delivery often drags on too long for my liking. Everything flowed smoothly here, though.

spicer and tatooinesandworm like this.
  8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Got a question. Was Black Krrsantan a key figure in Vader originally finding out about Doctor Aphra? I looked at his Wook page and he was actually introduced into the Vader comic before Aphra was.

9. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I feel so bad for the reporters.

by the way

Sulan Do rocks!

spicer likes this.
  10. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015

Yeah...Aphra is my favorite book, but I didn't like this one. Krrsantan doesn't interest me as a character, so that's probably where it lost me. Looking forward to the next regular numbered issue though.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I liked this issue, and I liked it a lot. It was fun, with great dialogue and a funny twist at the end by Aphra.
    So basically, Krrsantan's story is kinda like Wolverine's, but then there's a twisted caveat to it. He is grateful for his mutilations, and he wants to repay the Xonti brothers by mutilating them in the same way. That's morbid, and it was a twist I didn't expect.
    I have heaps of praise for the art. It was gorgeous, with great details inserted in the panels, and great ship designs. The reporters ship looks great. The art by Marc Laming reminds me of the art by Doug Wheatley and Dustin Weaver, two of my all time favourites. Even if the story isn't to someones likeing, this issue is at least beautiful to look at.
    Likewise!

12. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    maybe I am misinterpreting it, but my reading was that he did appreciate their "improvements". However, he considered it a life debt to them, and he can't have that. So he wants to hunt them down and kill them, so he doesn't "owe" them anymore.

Agreed. However, due to being an Annual, I am assuming the artist had more time to work on the issue. This comes back to the major complaint I have about Marvel Star Wars currently. Give the artists the time they need to make great art! With so many titles being produced, there will be Star Wars on the shelf every month. Maybe not every week. If we can get art like this though, I'll wait for it :)

spicer and SilentGuy66 like this.
  13. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd have to check the Vader comics, but I think he was just hired as a bounty hunter by Vader before Aphra was a blimp on his radar.

14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Oh, absolutely agree on the art comment. It makes a world of difference to the "longevity" of the comics. While the story quality is essential, comics with good art are a joy to reread over and over again. Those with poorer art are at the very least, somewhat difficult to sit through again, despite the quality of the story.

The way I got the whole life debt thing, is that Krrsantan wants to repay the brothers by mutilating them the same way they did him. However, I guess he knows that the "improvment" process would be fatal to them, and thus he'd repay them by killing them at the same time. Or maybe I'm way off...

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    DO NOT QUESTION THE ORDER OF THE TERRIBLE GLARE.

vncredleader likes this.
  16. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  17. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Oh My Goodness. YesYesYesYes

18. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Love Aphra's hair.

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Really, I'm surprised Aphra didn't see this coming.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Annual I liked just cuz it's basically Wolverine's origin with a wookiee and it did some placesetting for how Aphra invited everyone to bet on Rur.

vncredleader likes this.
  21. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    It seems that Vader doesn'y know Aphra is there, which is a good excuse to let her escape, but why did Triple Zero keep that omission? What exactly does he expect to gain from this? I thought he wanted Aphra dead, so he could be free.

Anyway, can't wait for the issue. I'm loving this arc and it looks like it's going to end with a bang.[/quote]

22. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    This was an nice issue!

The droids are free now and Vader will fight an ancient jedi in a droid body. Awesome!

23. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I think it's reasonable to assume that Vader have sensed or will sense Aphra's presence. I wonder how things will transpire from then on.

24. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Can't wait for this issue as I absolutely love this arc. However, Hurricane Irma has delayed all shipments of new books to South FL. Patience I must have.

BigAl6ft6, La Calavera and spicer like this.