main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  2. GatalentanKing

GatalentanKing Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2016
    Man, everything about this comic looks great. Honestly all I need to enjoy it is Aphra being Aphra and her recovering some cool galactic treasures and artifacts, and so far it looks like it'll go above and beyond that.

3. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I hope this series doesn't just continually rip off scenes from the Indiana jones movies because let's face it this beginning is the latter half of the opening of raiders.

-Priceless artefact of a head
    -"He tried to backstab me and leave me but now he's dead."- Satipo anyone?
    -Bad guy corners hero after he/she has gone through all the hard work of acquiring the atrifact.

Anyone wanna bet the next line will be "Soo-tah I wasn't aware you had (whatever the aliens are called) working for you. Too bad I don't know their language or I'd tell em one or too things about you." followed by "KRRSTAAN START THE ARK ANGEL! THE ANGEL START THE ANGEL!"

4. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Im hoping the new Doctor Aphra comic series will be good since I hear good things about the newer Marvel Star Wars and the Darth Vader comics.

By the way, anyone really enjoy the variant covers that have the "action figures" on the front cover? I guess its kinda cool but kind of pointless or whatever

DelRiego likes this.
  5. Nicolai

Nicolai Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2016
    Release date is december 7th. For #1

Atleast that is When we get out Ashley Witter variants from Diamond.

6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Just me or does that art make Aphra look really young?

vncredleader likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wednesday, horray! Also the 2nd issue is only two weeks later. good ole Marvel double-shipping, great for story pacing but dings at the wallet.

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    This is turning out to be an exciting week. We find out some big reveals on the Walking Dead comic, Aphra book is getting released.

Plus perhaps the best news of all. We got an update on the where abouts of this girl.

[​IMG]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    This was a great first issue. I was already looking forward to this -- I like SW comics about non-movie characters (Agent of the Empire!) and Marvel's foray into that kind of comic is off to a great start.

Reasons I'm happy? I'll not post spoilers yet, but in general:

1. Character development. We already know her from the Vader comics, but right off the bat they're focusing on doing more development.

2. Returning to the whole space archaeology thing. Especially glad about that.

Quite pleased with #1!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I will also say that if you enjoyed the humor of Aphra and the droids from the Darth Vader series, then you'll love this comic.

Personally, I didn't fall in love with Aphra in the DV series, and while this comic does stay true to that character, I don't know if I see this comic changing my feelings. I don't know if it's meant to change my feelings OR if this comic is simply for the fans that have already been established. To me, she's essentially female Indiana Jones and the beginning of this new adventure is a riff on that, so I don't know how many issues they plan on devoting to this series, but I'll give it a whirl for a few more issues and then I may just gracefully bow out.

11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Call me a snob, but I'd be more interested in a series about an archaeologist who actually cares a bit more about archaeology, instead of a glorified treasure hunter.
    (And although Indy may have been terrible at actually preserving artifacts, he at least was a bona fide doctor.)

DelRiego and TiniTinyTony like this.
  12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Did you read the issue?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Yes. She usurped her title and recovered an artifact so she can become rich.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Right. So while the type of archaeology you refer to better reflects modern practice (there are people who can speak to this much better than I), the story is both aware of it and also showing us a type of archaeology reflective of the historical era SW sometime inhabits.

Aphra might not be a scholarly sort as you'd prefer but the story knows that and the mere fact it's acknowledged means that we might see something more about space archaeology. I really liked those sequences myself.

(And also while I'd love to get a story about a scholar in SW -- I'm happy that we've got what we've got. Aphra as an Indy-style archaeologist is cool)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gamiel likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Also, Gillen does a good amount of research for his stories - he consulted a classics professor for Three, so he's likely been careful here too, even though it's a SW story with far more leeway.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ...he consulted a classics professor for what now? What is this and why haven't I read it yet?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Good start. Wasn't crazy about the artist's rendition of Aphra, as she looked a bit silly/goofy compared to her in DV series. But again, good overall start and story. I'm on the Dr Aphra comic bandwagon for the long haul.

18. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    So was the "old Sava", which I suppose is similar to a Dean, the Ugnaught from Lando?

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, let's fix that:

https://www.amazon.com/Three-1-TP-Kieron-Gillen/dp/1607069636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481151592&sr=8-1&keywords=three gillen

As you'll probably notice, it's in part a riposte to Frank Miller's notorious 300, but it's also an excellent read. The extras are superb and I suspect you'll get that bit more out of it than I did being more versed in the classical period.

Interview with Gillen about the series here - some Anglo-Saxon language of the kind the board does not like:
    http://www.cbr.com/gillen-pits-three-against-300-at-image/

starfish likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ooh, ancient world but with protagonists that don't get a voice in our traditional narratives. That's very relevant to my interests. I'll have to pick it up! Especially since it looks like it'll be a takedown of the Spartans and their horrendously awful society.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

MercenaryAce and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think Sava is more of a general position. I'm not sure if it's the equivalent of a professor or something slightly different, though.

Also that story is supposed to take place years before the present day story, which is not long after ANH. So unless the Lando comic took place prior to ANH, probably not the same Sava, even though she had been an expert on ancient relics as well.

Also I loved that little waiting room at the end, with Black Krssantan just sitting there looking bored. :p

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    This was good but nothing fantastic. i liked seeing Aphra manipulate people but she comes off a bit to genuinely relaxed here or like a normal person a bit which is not how I saw her in Vader. There she seemed very in control and her appearance of being lax was always a ploy which she was 10 steps ahead. I really hope we see her be more outright villainous or more of that interesting idea that her relationship with vader had of her being ok with danger not just cause it was fun but cause she respects weaponry and power. Here she is a bit more of a treasure hunter than a twisted version of Indy. I like some of the callbacks but I kinda preferred the emphasis on her being evil Indy. I guess this issue did not have that same "you would put this in an armory, it belongs in a museum" kind of feel to her. She is still manipulative and everything and that is cool but I kinda liked not getting into her head and always guessing. I hope to God she won't be an anti-hero. I am sick of Marvel's anti-hero fetish and if they take another villain and make them one I will freak. I just want her to fully be a villain. I loved how in vader she did so many messed up evil things just out of respect to Vader and cause she felt no allegiance to people aside from those who do not convey strength or smarts. She is just so messed up in Vader it was great. I bet she will be like that here this issue just felt a bit different maybe cause this is Gillen still getting use to getting into her head.

Also she knew Sana already? I thought she just worked with her for a short while on a mission or like one quest. Here it seems like they are college buddies.

I did really like the art though and the droids are fun as always.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I wasnt very impressed the character and comic. As for the comic I don't any sense of dread against gangsters or Imperials, especially none when threatened by the prospect of Vader returning to finish the job in killing her. I think her character appeal seems to rely on her being a kinda cross between Dini & Timm's Harley Quinn and Filoni's snippy Ahsoka pretending to be Indiana Jones or Lara Croft.

24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Basically most everything that was brought up regarding Sana and Aphra's past was all pure speculation by fans. All we knew was that they did seem to have some sort of past and likely romantic involvement together at some point. Now we know that they were college buddies.

25. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I wonder how many people Aphra has on speed dial by this point alone who she can manipulate. I kinda hope they go with the theory that Aphra just used Sana and played off her having a crush on her. Kinda like Grindlewald did to Albus. In fact now that we know these to knew each other for a while they could totally be those two.

Darth_Pevra likes this.