main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  2. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    After finishing the Vader series, I got the sense that he may have known Aphra was going to survive. I think he knew the droids would rescue her.

oncafar likes this.
  3. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    But what good is knowing Luke is Padme's son without knowing Padme's relationship to Vader? Without that key information, Aphra essentially knows "Luke had a mother" which is not particularly dangerous knowledge.

More important, though, is the other problem - there's no particular reason for Aphra to come up on Vader's radar. He thinks she's dead, so he's not going to go out of his way to check up on her whereabouts. And the galaxy is huge; she surely believes that if she can keep her nose clean and her activities low-key, she can avoid attracting his attention. And if she does, she has a trio of bodyguards to give her time to make an escape!

(Obviously, she's wrong in thinking she's going to stay off the Dark Lord's radar; I don't actually think for a moment her and Vader's paths will not cross again. I'm just saying there are plausible reasons why she might feel safe enough to resume her old life under her real name.)

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Aphra #2

First things first. My biggest complaint isn't that I don't really care about Aphra. My second biggest complaint is that the story is too much like Indiana Jones. This issue further added to that by "borrowing" from "Last Crusade" making Aphra's father obsessed with attaining something that drove her mother away just like the Holy Grail.

Despite those two big negatives, I'm officially hooked. The mythology behind the Ordu Aspectu has me VERY intrigued. Also, when I heard Forest Moon, I initially thought Endor, but was plesantly surprised to see Yavin 4. I really like that they're potentially tying this book to ANH (and possibly Rogue One) and that possibility has me very intrigued. Color me intrigued!

Congrats writers, you got me!

The art seems a little kiddy like Archie comics, but the art for the "backstories" of the Ordu Aspectu was really well done and I got a Avatar Wan (from Korra) vibe during that part of the book which was even more reason why I fell in love with this issue.

Vorax and SilentGuy66 like this.
  6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    This was great. Gillen at his best.

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I enjoyed the issue, love the fact that we're heading to Yavin 4, hopefully we'll get some information on the rebel evacuation

Having Aphra's father refer to her as "junior" at one point was exactly what this series should NOT be doing- making Aphra a Indiana Jones clone.

8. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    Anyone understand Beetee's version of the story?

SilentGuy66 and revan772 like this.
  9. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    This book is literally everything I wanted and more. Incredibly smart and fun.

Hopefully they continue to offer different perspectives on galactic history.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Take a closer look at the battle station in B-T's version. You'll get a laugh once you see it.

11. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    They did it...Marvel did it...even if only a little
    CANON OLD REPUBLIC! FINALLY! YEAH, VAGUE MYTHS, BUT IT'S SOMETHING!
    ok, I'll calm down now
    I love this comic already. I adore the Moebius vibe it has, in fact, I didn't know I always needed that in Star Wars.

I need issues #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8 right now!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Well, technically

the canon Old Republic was first mentioned in The Mandalore Plot episode of the TCW.

Gamiel likes this.
  13. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Well, let's say I'm at least intrigued.
    But I certainly hope that story won't end with nothing but vague myths.

14. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Another "My mom died when I was kid" plot or her mom is alive?

15. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Another fun issue and the alternate views of history scenes were inspired.

16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Very fun issue. Looks like this is setting up to be a series to explore old Jedi and Sith Lore. Definitely interesting. And I LOL'd when Triple Zero accused Aphra of Torture Teasing him.

Also looks like we have more of an age range pinned down for Aphra. That Flashback scene took place eighteen years in the past and she looked to be in her mid teens at that time so it does look like Aphra currently is in her early to mid thirties. I think her being in her twenties is pretty much out of the question now.

17. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    I don't understand why the fortress becomes him... :(

18. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    If there was one thing I really hoped this series would deliver, it was using the fact that Aphra is an archaeologist (of sorts) to recanonise or reinterpret some ancient Legends history. I wasn't expecting them to use this, but the complete surprise makes it all the better!

19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    But this is the first time we get anything visual from that period. At least as far as I know...

Karl0413 likes this.
  20. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I'm interested in finding out how Aphra was able to get into universities after being an arsonist during her childhood. Maybe she spent time in the GFFA's version of juvie and was medically cleared after a period of time?

21. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Or you know... no one gives a **** about that kind of thing in Star Wars.

22. ChickenDroid

ChickenDroid Jedi Padawan

May 2, 2015
    I really hope that the series will eventually tie in with ESB at some point, even if it is only a small detail, or tie in with the SW series.

23. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I think the sensible thing to do would be to have about 25 issues of Aphra and then have Gillen write a series about Vader right before ESB.

BigAl6ft6 and ChickenDroid like this.
  24. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Well damn! I was not expecting this series to be as engaging for me as it is. Marvel is doing great job! Cannot wait for next issues!

ChefCurryWindu and spicer like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

JediFett10 likes this.