main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Point taken.

spicer likes this.
  2. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Is there any info on how old Aphra is? Cause I feel like she's probably closer to Han's age range of late 20s, early 30s.

3. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

In Darth Vader #10 we learned she was born prior to 22 BBY. So late twenties most likely.

4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

In the latest issue it showed a flashback taking place eighteen years earlier. In it Aphra was clearly in her teens so probably saying early thirties would be more accurate.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Am really late commenting on this because of the holidays and other recent events, but I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I enjoyed #2. I especially liked the alternate takes on the events of the past based on different theories of what the Ordu Aspectu actually were. Someone -- I think Lelal -- said earlier that they were unhappy the Aphra shows the more 19th century treasure-hunting type of archaeology than modern scholarship, but I think this was a nice flavor as to how tiny fragments of interpretation can be interpreted in a widely different manner based on the inherent biases of the scholar.

I think both Aphra's old-style treasure hunting approach to archaeology (which seems peculiar to her! her professor seemed like a modern researcher) and the interpretation of past legends (heh!) and myths is very very Star Wars, and very very cool.

I'm very glad we have this series.

Also, in other Aphra related news, apparently there's some sort of mobile game coming out called "Force Arena" and Aphra is in it?! So's Evaan from the Leia mini. I had no idea this game was even a thing until last week, but it's sort of mind-boggling to see a comics-original character in a video game. It brings back memories of ye olde days of EU-game tie-ins like Masters of Teras Kasi, Mysteries of the Sith, XWA, Rebellion, etc etc. Great to see.

6. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    For anyone who wants to see what Aphra looks like in it, here's a teaser video and a gameplay example.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah -- sadly the gameplay looks deeply uninteresting to me, because it's one of those pew pew multiplayer mobile games. But it's cool to see Aphra and Evaan showing up.

Now, if we got old school single player games with comic or book characters too, that'd be much better. 'course, story-based single player games also make it harder to use characters from other media so I guess that's the trade-off?

8. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Force Arena must be taking the place of Disney Infinities. Never played it myself but it was fun to occasionally pull up a youtube video and watch Star Wars characters duke it out.

They do this kind of thing for Walking Dead mobile games as well. They have characters who are in the comic in build your own survival group games but who likely won't be in the show for several more years.

9. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Um... wheres the thread for this weeks Star Wars? I cant find it.

10. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014

Wow, Dr Aphra looks great!! Nice feminine yet cocky walk, too.

11. dy1anrobinson

dy1anrobinson Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2016
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Awesome. That's way too on point to be a coincidence.

13. dy1anrobinson

Dec 31, 2016
    Also, if anybody hasn't pointed this out already: Ordu and Aspectu are both latin words, though combining them in the way they are there isn't one hundred percent grammatically correct. 'Ordu' means 'order' and 'aspectu' means 'vision.' So, loosely, it could translate as 'order of vision'.

Alternatively, we could take the old turkish meaning for 'ordu'- that is to say, 'army', and make it 'army of vision'.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    -u is a fourth declension ending and I'm unaware of any 4th declension word for order. There's ordo, which is 3rd declension.

I'd call it space Latin and not try to glean any meaning from it using actual Latin. Usually that's just for dress up or flavor.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

JediKnight75 and Gamiel like this.
  15. dy1anrobinson

Dec 31, 2016
    Like I said, the actual latin doesn't one hundred percent work. The reason I bring it up is that the legends version of the character Rur of Garn is a member of a rogue jedi sect called 'The Order of the Terrible Glare', which is interesting given that the space latin roughly equates to 'Order of Vision' or 'Order of Sight'.

Also interesting: The Order of the Terrible Glare has apparently already been mentioned in a Canon work.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And that one mention says that they were kidnappers.

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe "Ordu Aspectu" is a mistranslation of something that actually meant "Order of the Terrible Glare".

18. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    How did I not see that before, I, a big fan of those EU oddities? My mind is blown. Now I'm REALLY hoping it leads somewhere interesting!

(BTW, while Ordu Aspectu isn't proper Latin, neither are "Pliada di am Imperium" or "Imperius Unitada ober Totallex". That's space Latin. High Galactic, maybe?)

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Okay, this is actually even better than I thought. I mean, I was already on board for a Aphra-centric comic, but I didn't think it would be this awesome. I love that Gillen used her actual profession as an archaeologist to explore more about the lore.

darklordoftech and spicer like this.
  20. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    From the interview posted above:

Good to hear that from the author himself! I wasn't "imagining"things when I thought I noticed that :D

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    "There is one thing in this story that is based on a very obscure bit of Legends material that I suspect people won’t spot. It’s so obscure that even long term Star Wars fans might not spot it and even then they probably won’t notice it until the end, because it’s a complete reimagining of a concept. I mean, to stress, it’s so obscure that I 100 percent don’t expect people to get what I’m building on." Is he referring to "Blind Fury!"?

Taalcon, LelalMekha and spicer like this.
  23. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    100 % sure he does.
    Le Me on Twitter: Ordu Aspectu... Rur... Garn... I think I've seen what you're doing there. ;-)
    Kieron Gillen's answer: ;)

24. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I haven't read these issues yet (I usually wait for the Trades) but this sounds really interesting to me.

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, there's a lot of space Latin in Star Wars. I traditionally called it High Galactic, and jSarek went with that interpretation in his "The Written Word" Hyperspace article.

In canon, Latin letters are still called HG. However the Imperius Unitada bit you quote from Propaganda is identified as Atrisian.

Either way, the approach is not to look at actual Latin to try to explain, but actually treat it as-is. It's flavor.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

jSarek and LelalMekha like this.