main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Doctor Who] 9 October 1940 (Eleventh Doctor, Amy Pond)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Mar17swgirl, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    9 October 1940

Author: Mar17swgirl
    Timeframe: Just after "Victory of the Daleks"
    Summary: The Doctor and Amy witness the birth of a rather special baby. ;)
    Dedication: To John Lennon, whose 70th birthday it is today. @};-

~*~

"So, where do you want to go next?" the Doctor asked.

The TARDIS hummed slightly as he strode around the console, punching a key here, spinning a wheel there. Amy followed him, twirling a strand of hair around her finger.

"A planet," she stated, grinning.

He glanced at her. "Earth is a planet."

"Yeah, but you know what I mean," Amy said, rolling her eyes. "An alien planet. Full of... aliens and stuff." She made a puppy-eyed face. "Come on, gimme a planet!"

The Doctor chuckled. "All right, a planet it is, then."

He punched in more keys, pulled a lever, and the console room started to shake, filled with the familiar noise of the TARDIS dematerialising.

Amy clutched the railings for support. "Does it always have to be this bumpy?" she yelled at the Doctor over the noise.

"It's more fun this way!" he shouted back and grinned manically.

With a violent jerk, the TARDIS landed and Amy ran excitedly towards the door.

"Is it safe to go outside?" she asked, one hand on the door handle.

The Doctor was frowning at the screen. "Yes... no, hold on. This isn't right." He slapped the screen. "Nope, still not right."

Amy sighed impatiently. "Come on, Doctor, don't tell me you got it wrong again."

He strode past her and opened the door, peering out. It was night time, but somewhere there was a light flashing. He stepped outside, Amy following. They were standing in the middle of a deserted street; all the buildings around them had blacked out windows.

Suddenly, there was a wail of sirens and soon afterwards they heard planes flying overhead. There was an big explosion nearby that shook the ground beneath them.

"I thought we'd just left this place!" Amy shouted and cowered. "It's the London Blitz again!"

"No, this isn't London!" Doctor replied, looking around wildly. "We're somewhere in the North of England, by the looks of it." He sniffed the air. "Liverpool, actually. But yes, you're right, it's the World War Two again. The TARDIS must've picked up our last coordinates by mistake."

He glanced at his watch. "The ninth of October, nineteen-forty." His eyes narrowed. "Why is that familiar?"

Amy glared at him. "Some pilot you are," she said. "The whole wide Universe and you land us at the almost exact same spot as..."

She paused. A figure was hurrying down the road, seemingly ignorant of the roar of the planes above and the sound of bombs exploding near and far. One must have fallen quite nearby, because there was a deafening explosion and the ground shook again. The figure gave a small cry, stumbled and fell down.

"Amy, no, wait!" the Doctor hissed, but Amy was already hurrying towards the fallen figure, who turned out to be a small, dark-haired woman.

"Are you all right?" she asked, offering her hand.

The woman looked at her. "Yes, of course, I'm fine," she said curtly, and rather impatiently, but she took Amy's hand and pulled herself up. "Thank you very much for your help, but I'm rather in a hurry."

The Doctor joined them. "You shouldn't be outside, there's an air raid going on," he said.

The woman raised an eyebrow. "You're outside, too," she pointed out. "And I'm not just taking an evening stroll. I need to get to the hospital."

She motioned towards a large building at the end of the street and started walking briskly towards it. Amy and the Doctor followed.

"Is someone from your family wounded?" asked Amy.

"Don't be silly," snapped the woman. "It's the Maternity Hospital. My sister is giving birth. Hopefully I'll get there before it's all over..."

There was another explosion nearby and they all broke into run, ducking into doorways along the road to avoid flying shrapnel and debris. They reached the hospital within a few minutes.

The woman strode over to the receptio

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    [face_laugh] *snort*

Of course, of course. :p

You'd think that after +900 years he'd be able to get it right. :p

... but you know, he just loves getting it wrong. ;)

Oh, someone is excited. :D

Awwww! [face_love]

And they're off on another adventure.

This was lovely, Mar! Beautiful tribute. @};-

And YAY for seeing you write again! [face_dancing] [:D]

3. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Thanks, Idri, I'm glad you liked it. :)

I was actually surprised how quickly I wrote this - it's only 3 pages in Word, but even that usually takes me a long time. This took me about two hours (while I was also doing other things), which is pretty quick for me. :p

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Really nice, Mar. :)

You've captured Smith's Doctor very well. I could hear him in your words - and see his expressions.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hi Mar, ;)

Oh, this was just a fun little snippet of awesomeness! =D=

There were so many elements in this that made this fun to read ? it was just so classically Doctor Who. It read like a missing moment. [face_love]

"A planet," she stated, grinning.

He glanced at her. "Earth is a planet."

A north? Every planet has a north. [face_laugh] I was reminded of Nine there ? such a typically Doctor line. [face_love]

Amy clutched the railings for support. "Does it always have to be this bumpy?" she yelled at the Doctor over the noise.

"It's more fun this way!" he shouted back and grinned manically.

I think that he'd loose his awesome geeky charm if he were to ever learn how to pilot the TARDIS properly. [face_love]

The woman strode over to the reception desk. "My name is Mary Smith," she said sharply to the nurse sitting there. "I'm here to see my sister Julia. She is giving birth now. Julia Lennon."

Oh . . . WOW! :eek:

"That baby," said the Doctor quietly, his eyes twinkling, "is John Winston Lennon. In twenty years, he and three mates of his will throw the entire country into a mad screaming frenzy."

[face_dancing] [face_love]

The Doctor nodded. "In a way, she was. She brought him up... will bring him up. His parents will separate when he's five years old, and Julia, his mother, simply won't be able to cope."

=D= Superb writing. :)

This fic rang with a sort of bittersweetness for me. For the Doctor, he constantly flutters in and out of people's lives. For him, he can see John Lennon being born one moment, and see him die the next . . . Here, he witnesses a pivotal moment in musical history, and a moment later he's running off and happy after relaying a tragic story. :(

He'll always be watching and influencing things behind the scenes, but anything more . . . And, I've gone and started rambling over an adorable fic. :oops:

Really, splendid work with this! =D=

[:D]

~MJ @};-

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Adorable and just the kind of thing the 10th Doctor was always trying to take his companions to.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh, damn, I forgot to thank you guys for your replies... :oops:

Everton: Thanks! :)

Mira: Wow, I didn't expect such praise... [face_blush] I'm really honoured that you find it "classically Doctor Who". :D Thanks!

Ish: Thank you! Yeah, Ten would probably do it on purpose, but Eleven just stumbled into it by mistake, and decided to go along. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.