main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Doctor Who] A Paradox By Any Other Name 10/20/09 Chapter 2 added!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by SpiritofEowyn, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    A Paradox By Any Other Name
    Author: SpiritofEowyn
    Rating:pG-- PG 13
    Summary: My name is Rose Tyler and this is the story of how the Doctor died, again.( My version of the 2009 Specials.)

Disclaimer: I do not own Doctor Who, if I did I'd be financially well off.

A/N:Spoilers through Journeys End and any rumors you've heard about the New Years Specials and the 10th doctor's regeneration. This is my version of what the New Years special will be like. Probably 4-6 chapters beyond this prologue, if you count the interlude.

This can all be blamed on Kateydidnt for brainstorming and feeding my plotbunnies. :D

A Paradox By Any Other Name

(December 2004, 3 months before Rose meets the Doctor.)

My name is Rose Tyler and this is the story of how the Doctor died, again.

Prologue:

On Boxing Day I met a charming man, tall dark and handsome. I was carrying a large box that rose right about my eyes, filled with all the things my mum wanted me to return to the shop on the worst day to do so, which included a lavender jumper which wasn't the right cut, which she had given her. So not only was her mum returning Rose's gift, but she was making HER return it for her and give her the store credit. To add to her joy she was going to have to tell her superviser why her mom did not find a greatly employee discounted Henrik's sweater wasn't good enough for her when she wore TopShops. Add on the dustbuster that Dad's Mother had sent them,which Mum insisted was an insult on her housecleaning and Rose was almost glad to be out. It was shaping up to be that kind of day. It didn't surprise me that when I took a corner too fast I ran into someone, scattering the contents of my Dustbuster box and one jumper that had been stuffed inside across the sidewalk.

"Great." I muttered to myself. "This is brillant." The crowds passed me by like I was an incovinent island.

"Sorry about that. " He smiled at me like he was filming the leading role in a romantic flick, or breathmint ad. He graciously helped me return everything to the box.

"Thank you," I noticed his eyes sparkle with inordinate pleasure.

"Here, let me carry it for you." He offered, lifting it with ease.

"No, I-" I waved my hands at him.

"But I insist. It's the least I can do."His voice was saccharine. "Now where am I taking this," he noticed the color of the box with barely restrained mirth. "Blue box?"

Either he had an odd sense of humor or he was one of those perpectually perky people.

"Oh, I'm returning it to Henrik's right down the street. I know, On boxing day," I rolled my eyes. "But my mum insisted."

He gave a polite laugh. "Mmm. How obedient of you." He offered his free arm to me. " Let's be off." If he wanted to play the part of a gentleman and carry my stuff for me, I wouldn't complain.

There was something old and otherworldly about this man who couldn't really be that much older than me. He just didn't seem to fit into a busy London street. He was just too excited about the world. It wasn't a bad thing, for a guy to be nice and cheerful. Far from it, it was intrigueing.

He waited as I returned the items, standing guard behind me. Now he must be playing the part of the faithful knight. Her coworker who ran the return transaction gave her that look.

"So who's the bloke? Did you break up with Mickey?" She asked nosily.

"No, just some," I shook my head. "Nice guy."

"Guys aren't nice to pretty girls just for laughs." She advised knowingly.

"Mind your own business Charene." I cleared my throat and raised my eyebrows significantly. "It's not like that."

I grabbed the Store Credit debit card for my mom, shoved it in my pocket and walked towards the door.

My knight was right behind me. "So! Where would you like to go next, my lady Rose." He bounced on his toes and did a comic bow.

I laughed. "Look Mister I don't even know your name and I'm kinda seeing someone, Thanks though." Warning shot through my stomach. " Hold on, how do you know my name?"

He blinked, but quickly regained his composure. " What else

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    *sniffles* Poor Ten. Seeing Rose one last time even as he's dying.

If this comes anything close to what the specials actually go down I'll be bawling like a baby.

Great story.

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I utterly adore the dramatic irony of what's going on in this. It reminds me of the whole thing in Turn Left as well as the ongoing theme of "THere's something on your back." Anyway, it has that feel of you knowing that you have to be keeping tabs on something now because it's going to be huge later and not knowing what. And I love your Rose. And yes, me being Ish, I have love for Saxon.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Thanks Ish! :D

Juliet: I'm glad you understand the jist of what's happening. I was afraid I was being too vague.

Here's the next chapter for your enjoyment. :D

A Paradox By Any Other Name: Chapter 1

Author: SpiritofEowyn
    Rating:pG-- PG 13

Disclaimer: Spoilers through Journeys End. This is my version of what the New Years specialshould be like.
    A/N: Special thanks to my beta zomgvampires

Chapter One

The first time the Doctor heard about Harold Saxon, he put it out of his mind.

They had been visiting London to do Rose's laundry (more an excuse she used to visit her mother, as the TARDIS had laundry facilities), when he found her staring at a poster of a man. Well, when he said man, he meant politician. Well, prospective politician with dark thinning hair, a large confident grin, and thumbs up.

Harold Saxon For Defense Minister
    "A Master of Defense: The Man you Can Trust With your Future."

He didn't see what was so fascinating about him, or why her attention should be elsewhere, when there was a dashing and extremely clever Time Lord at her side.

He bumped into her. "Oi, Rose. Something Interesting?" Her attention to the poster was becoming trancelike, heart racing and breath held.

"I," Rose blinked, "I know him."

"The politician?" He let his disgust show.

"Yeah," She breathed. "I met him before I met you- the other you. He fancied me."

He scrunched his face and blocked her view of the poster. "I can understand why he would, but you, Rose, I thought you had better taste."

She pushed him aside and tapped the poster seriously, "There was something about him?" she rubbed her temples, "Something important."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Do you two want to be alone?" He waved a hand in front of her face when she didn't respond to him. "Rose." He forcibly kept his tone light.

Finally her attention turned to the Doctor, and she gasped as if in horror. "Your face..."

He frowned and jumped away in a bit of shock, and his voice squeaked a bit. "My- what about my face?!" He felt his face for any sudden malformations.

"I've met you before." she shook her finger at him in earnest trepidation.

His concern went into overdrive. "Rose, are you feeling alright?" He made to feel her forehead, while his own brow furrowed. "Of course we've met before," he pulled out his sonic screwdriver and proceeded to scan her. "Zooming through time and space, grand adventures-- remember the zooming with me?" He pointed back to where he'd parked his ship, "On the TARDIS?"

She whapped him on the shoulder, "Shut up."

"Oi, why are you hitting me?? he whined, ?That's not a very nice joke."

"I meant I met you before I met you with big ears. I just- it never occurred to me until now, until I saw that poster, that you were the same person. It's not like you called yourself the Doctor-"

"Well I wouldn't, would I, if we hadn't met yet." He frowned. "I mean, but are you sure? That it was me?"

"Unless you know someone else with a sonic screwdriver- only then I didn't know what it was."

He couldn't think of a reason why he would visit her timeline before they met.

"But how does the picture of a man, vastly less dashing I might add, remind you of me?"

"It was the Christmas before I met you. I met him, and then you punched him, and the screwdriver..." Rose was on a roll.

His natural curiosity warred with his Time Lord training. If it was him, then it was his future, a future he shouldn't know about and be tempted to change should it come to that.

She bit her tongue and ran her fingers through her hair agitatedly. "And then, I can't remember. Something must have happened, but I can't remember!? She groaned in annoyance as she attempted to bring back those memories.

He held up his hands defensively- this had to stop here. "Rose, I can't know anymore about my future. I shouldn't even know that." He had to distract her before she tried to push forward. She was impossibly stubborn once she set her

5. Fanficfan

Fanficfan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2005
    Oh this is exciting.
    I really need to learn to read a little closer. I didn't notice "Prologue" in your first post and assumed this was a vignette. But this a pleasant surprise, can't wait to read more.
    Fanficfan

6. SpiritofEowyn

Mar 5, 2005
    Sorry it took me so long! I had to watch Children of Earth to decide whether to use a Pre- or Post CoE Jack. I went with a Pre.

A Paradox by Any Other Name.: Chapter Two

By Spirit of Eowyn

rating: PG

Pairing 10/Rose Jack

The Doctor didn't like losing things, or people. He had vowed not to have any more proper companions after, well, Donna. But that didn't mean that he couldn't visit old friends, especially ones that couldn't die.

So he had gone to Torchwood to seek out Jack to starve off his loneliness, under pretext of warning them. He hadn't been surprised to be told that Jack was at a bar. Or one that had such a reputation. His earlier incarnations would have been beet red to be in such a place.

He made a beeline for his friend, ignoring the various offers thrown his way.

?Jack.?

?Doctor!? Jack greeted. ?Never thought I'd run into you in one of these places.?

?Never will again,? The Doctor promised. ?I just thought I'd warn you about a criminal with a flying bus.?

?Very Harry Potter.? Jack ordered another drink, gesturing at the bartender who wore suspenders but no shirt. Really some people had their priorities mixed up.

?Lady Christina De Souza- no magic wand, just run of the mill alien altered double decker bus.? The Doctor sniffed. ?Wanted to be my companion. Turned her down.?

? Souza, Think I've met her.? Jack nodded.

The Doctor wasn't surprised. He opened his mouth to say so.

? There you go, going Domestic on me. I'm amazed Rose left her whole.?

The Doctor froze. Obviously he said the wrong thing. He'd wanted to use Christina as a segeway to letting him know he wasn't having any more companions without bringing up more about Donna than Jack had probably heard through the Children of Time grapevine here on Earth.

He cleared his throat. "How's Martha??

?Married.? Jack held his mug up in a toast. ?And on her honeymoon by now. I heard Sarah Jane will be following her rotten example of matrimony soon herself.?

The Doctor felt distinctly uncomfortable. Who knew if his counterpart was doing the same. If Rose was married now, to, him but not him. There really should be English pronouns that described 'one's meta-crisised self who was part human'. Gallifriean had a few that might serve but no one else would understand him. Not that they did now.

?Speaking of happy couples, Where's Rose? This not her kind of place?? Jack asked, turning to look at the crowd of scantily clad men and women bumping and grinding to what could be generously called music, and colored lighting. Mostly men, actually.

Well, there went that attempt at avoidance of painful things.

The Doctor took a deep breath.

?She's not here. Rose is with the Other Me, back across the void.? He says as evenly as possible. ?Hopefully having a fantastic life.? He knew his tone of voice did not fit his hope.

?Really.? The Doctor could hear the questions Jack was about to launch.

?I'm not going to have any more companions. I can't do it anymore. They've all got someone else now. They-? He looked at the floor and put his hands in his pockets. ?Break my hearts.?

It was fifty six seconds later that Jack replied. ? Sounds lonely. The Rest of Forever by yourself.? The unspoken left in the air. Last of his Kind. A situation Jack must eventually expect for himself when Ianto and whoever came after died. The Doctor didn't even want to know how Boe-kind reproduced.

His thoughts turned to Donna and Rose. Both had wanted to spend the rest of their lives with him, and neither could. Which was fine, they were going to have fantastic lives, somehow. Normal human lives that ended in the usual and not unusual way.

?I don't suppose you've changed your mind about fixing this, have you?? Jack held out his Vortex manipulator.

As he frowned at the Vortex manipulator, his three-lobed brilliantly tangential mind was sent on a course that went Disabled the V.M. Master dying- died, alone now- last of my kind,alone. Losing Donna, losing Rose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.