main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The 11th Doctor is my second favorite doctor behind the 9th Doctor. The 11th Doctor has some really good emotional moments but 9 and 10 were better. River should have trashed the statue.
    Oswin in Asylum of the Daleks was pretty cool so I am looking forward to what's coming next. No idea how good or not everything coming up is so we will see.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I told you people. The Doctor and River's revenge on the Angel was a cut missing scene that mysteriously got lost in the cracks of time.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    If you watch, River was motionless staring at the Angel so that the Doctor could grieve. He was lost in the moment, not concentrating. She realised that and focused on the angel, despite losing her mother. It's actually quite a powerful scene. Though it's still trite and should have happened a season ago.

Rew and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    And that's why we call it The Contractually Obligated Series 7A.

mackpol likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Time to marathon Series 7B

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Starts and ends well. Dip in the middle

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    More likely they'll bring it back for a rematch in the upcoming series.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Up to Journey to the Center of the Tardis. No romance for Clara and the Doctor! Thank God. Clara is pretty cool imo. I had a feeling I would like her.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Happy Birthday to Tenth Doctor, David Tennant!

(paging solojones)

solojones likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The transition from Amy and Rory to Clara with the 11th Doctor was not bumpy at all compared to the transitions from Rose to Martha, Martha to Donna, etc for the 10th Doctor.
    Admittedly the transition from Rose, Jack, Martha, Donna, Mickey and whoever else to Amy and Rory was bumpy.

Rew likes this.
  11. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    1971 is my favorite vintage.

And now I have to hear about it on Facebook from my friend who's in Gracepoint, whom I want to kill :p

Juliet316 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Haha oh man. Any indication on how similar the show will be to Broadchurch?

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Series 7 completed! Oh man. So exciting! On to the Day of the Doctor!
    Series 6 as a whole was better but Series 7 was really good. Amy and Rory's goodbye arc, Clara: The Impossible Girl. Matt Smith is awesome! Pretty stupid that we didn't get to see the Silence again unless its in one of the upcoming Specials. Should not have been this Great Intelligence thing. Unless there is some significance from Classic Doctor Who.
    Strax, Jenny and Vastra are awesome!

14. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I'll not spoil you but only say that the Silence deserved much more screen time, especially knowing what we learned in Time of the Doctor. Also I would've liked to see a Headless Monk or two.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    After the end of Series 6, I was expecting the Silence to play a big role in Series 7. Yes, the Doctor was wiping mentions of himself out of existence but I expected the Silence to discover he was alive again and come after him. If his name was disappearing from the Universe wouldn't the Silence want to know why? Its not like they were the ones doing it. I also would like to see more of the Headless Monks.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes, the Great Intelligence is from Classic Who.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Something to look forward to.
    Watched Day of the Doctor. That was awesome! Matt Smith, David Tennant, John Hurt, were all amazing.
    Great seeing Rose/Bad Wolf again. Clara was pretty cool in this as well. Cool seeing why Queen Elizabeth hated 10.
    So much to talk about.

darthcaedus1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
  19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That was an epic moment!

Also finished Time of the Doctor and An Unearthly Child.
    Did not like 11 hallucinating Amy before his regeneration. Should have been before he went to confront the Daleks.
    Kind of a letdown against Clara.

AUC. Man that was interesting. Way different from the 2005 onwards stuff. This is going to be fun.

Rebel_Padawan and halibut like this.
  20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Just watched "The Real History of Science Fiction" on BBC America. The first episode was about robots, cyborgs and artificial intelligence. Oddly, for a show produced by the BBC, the Cybermen aren't even mentioned, unless I missed something.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to comment on this again real quick. In this scene 10 had more serious emotion (even with it ending the way it did.) than Matt Smith ever did. Yes the Pandorica speech and attacking Demon's Run were good serious moments but 9 and 10 were better in that regard.

22. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

I hope you watched Night of the Doctor before Day. [face_peace]

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  23. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Don't quite know what you mean by serious emotion? That he's putting off a serious, no-nonsense vibe that Smith doesn't put off or that he can actually show serious emotion whereas Smith can't?

They couldn't have gotten Tennant a coat one size bigger?

24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes I did. 8 is very interesting. Looking forward to the movie. What do you think of his regeneration? I don't care for renumbering thing. JH-WD, 9-CE, 10/10.2-DT, 11-MS, 12-PC is it for me. Sisterhood of Karn transformed him, not himself so I don't count JH as 9 and so on and so forth. No idea how to explain 10.2 away though.

darthcaedus1138 Serious vibe is probably the best way to describe it. Take end of Bad Wolf. I could easily believe 9 was going to save Rose, save the world and wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky. Also loved when he was talking to the Daleks and Dalek Emperor at the beginning of TPOTW.
    DT had some good moments like that too. Doomsday-talking to the Cult of Skaro, saving Rose, Martha and Donna however many times etc. Probably helped that he had the All the Strange Strange Creatures theme.
    Matt Smith is not bad. I loved him in A Christmas Carol and a lot of other times as well. The Pandorica speech is growing on me a lot. The sound effects he made when he told Danny Boy to blow up the shields at Demon's Run kind of ruined that moment for me. Matt Smith is the Doctor to me.
    That scene with Tennant reminded me why I liked 9 and 10's serious vibes more.

25. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah but the scene with Colonel Runaway is the serious moment for that episode, so much so that the Doctor himself steps back and realizes he's become pretty angry. Matt Smith has big moments, but only some of them are 100% serious. The Pandorica speech is basically him bluffing and hoping things go how they usually do, he was just unaware of the full event that was happening around him.