main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I just finished up the Dalek episodes (How on earth do you label these? It's technically episode 2 but doesn't reflect that I've had to watch 11 episodes to get to episode 3!). It was actually really fascinating to see the Doctor's first interaction with the Daleks and get a bit of the history of Skaro.

Doctor continues to be useless, Susan got a little better a few times this episode but then went back to her whimpering helpless female role.

Then I'm bouncing back and forth between classic Who and my rewatch and got to the Shakespeare Code last night. So many great lines that I completely missed the first time around, like the Doctor's comment about 50-someodd scholars punching the air after Shakespeare flirted with him. :p

Also: this made me laugh harder than it should have:

[​IMG]

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Any idea what they are announcing after Midnight tonight?

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I think I do:

and the promo picture for the first series 7.2 episode, titled "The Bells of St. John":

[​IMG]

Chewgumma and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The Ice Warriors look a bit like DC Comic's Darkseid meets Fantastic 4's The Thing

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Matt, honey, ditch the purple coat.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I suspect some mild photoshopping is being used to make that coat brighter in the promo, as it wasn't that bright in the set photos.

Still, nothing wrong with the coat, but I miss the tweed too.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Consider me impressed with those ice warriors, they look just like the original ones. But with a better budget behind them.

I hope we don't have to wait until Comic Relief for a trailer, the wait for any form of new material has been killing me.

Ulicus likes this.
  8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
  9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Oi! Don't diss the coat! The coat is awesome! :mad:

:p

And yeah, as Juliet points out, that pic looks to be heavily photoshopped, so the coat isn't that bright, actually.

Hmm, I don't recognise most of those actors, and I don't agree with some (oh God, please, no Steve Martin!), but I agree that Alan Alda as the Fourth Doctor is a brilliant choice. :)

10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The best thing about that is the mental image I got of Adric's final words being a scream of "Nobody calls me chicken!"

The Steve Martin thing is funny, considering he's supposedly a huge fan of the show and apparently lobbied really hard for the role of the 8th Doctor.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So I was up in a local shopping center this morning and one of these tankers was in the parking lot. I think I know what the replacement to the police box will be...

Juliet316 and Ulicus like this.
  12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    [face_laugh][face_rofl]

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Tardishire sounds like the best county ever.

Ulicus likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I didn't even notice that til you pointed it out...

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Love that coat. Even though it isn't that bright IRL, if it were, Matt would pull it off. And the golden bow tie, outrageous, but it totally works. For me, of all the Doctors, Smith's is the most suited to 'unusual clothing'. I know a lot of them went in for it, and yeah Four looked the business... but he never made it look cool. Smith does.

And a part of me is still hoping that motorcycle is from the TARDIS garage. :p

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Robert Stack I think could have pulled off Three. I Mark Hammill would work better as Five and Stephen Nichols (I'm a soap fan, yes who he is) would work better as Nine. For some reason for all of RDJ's ***** updness, I really cannot picture him as Nine. John Hamm as Ten? No, just no.

ETA: And apparently Billie Piper has joined Twitter @billiepiper

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Great, now if only there was a way to trade in her account and get Steven Moffat's back.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Or you know teach certain segments of fans not to act like little ***** that cause the showrunner to up and delete his account.

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Something is better than nothing. :D

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    That interview is tons better and way less depressing than the David Tennant one I came across yesterday about the 50th.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Indeed, but as we all know David Tennant doesn't actually know there is a 50th anniversary, let alone whether he'll be involved. :p

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Reposting some of my earlier commentary on that here because apparently being sick makes me leave out words.

Robert Stack I think could have pulled off Three. I feel Mark Hammill would work better as Five and Stephen Nichols (I'm a soap fan so, yes who he is) would work better as Nine. For some reason for all of RDJ's ***** updness, I really cannot picture him as Nine. John Hamm as Ten? No, just no.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well hey, if he hadn't been on Mad Men, Jon Hamm wouldn't have been famous in 2005 and he would have been a great Doctor, dammit :p Personally I think they did a good job of thinking of people who would have been comparable actors at the time.