main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Eh, I'm pretty sure it's better than...whatever the heck Peri's actress was being forced to say when she was on the show.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Title updated. We can update again once the new season starts..

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Added to my ignore list.

PCCViking and V-2 like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    6.07: The Almost People [Part 2]

"And just remember, people died. Don't let that be in vain. Make what you say in that room count."

Not too much to say on this one as it mostly addressed all of the issues that I was uncomfortable in the previous episode and brought the story to a satisfying close. Again, I thought the interactions between Rory and Jennifer were still a bit strange despite the fact that Rory's relationship with Amy was back on course by the end of it. But I couldn't help it feel that his care for Jennifer went beyond what he felt were his duties as a nurse. It was also the cliffhanger ending which really made it. The first time around I saw this it really kept me waiting for the next week's episode. Again, another episode that improved as it went along.

5 out of 5

darthcaedus1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell. [face_laugh]

Now I have to do a search...

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You don't have too, all you have to do is ask halibut and he'll give you chapter and verse about what he thinks of this episode.:p

I remember going "We have to wait too weeks?!" because BBCA in it's infinite wisdom, decided to air a TNG marathon IIRC in place of a fresh ep because of the July4th holiday.(Thankfully they realized Americans would be willing to watch on the Labor Day holiday when it came time to matchup S7's scheduling with BBC's airing of S7). Then I made the mistake of going to look for fanfic and got spoiled for A Good Man Goes to War.[face_plain] Lesson learned the hardway about not even going to fanfic sites if you want to remain unspoiled.

Edit: BTW, I'm watching The Fires of Pompeii on BBCA right now. Bit of a Capaldi fix with a big fix of Tennant rolled into one.:)

7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I really liked The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People. Kind of felt like old-school Who to me.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People were two pretty cool episodes.

9. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    I honestly didn't really have a reaction to The Rebel Flesh/The Almost people. It was a good episode, just felt a little unfulfilling for me. Just my thoughts

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Peter Capaldi Peter Capaldi Peter Capaldi Peter Capaldi Peter Capadi Petecapldi Petcabaldi Peta Cabbaddi Pitacabaddi Pitacabaddi Pitcabadi Pitcabledi.... PETER CAPALDI!!!!!

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeter-ter-ter-ter
    Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapal-pal-pal-pal
    Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

Juliet316 and halibut like this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    That's the best thing ever.

14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Now I have to run to escape spoilers!

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  15. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Doctor Who Legacy is now playable on Facebook, and the new 10th/11th Doctor comics just hit the streets.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Played the tutorial and look to play more later. Interesting game.

18. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    From the people who've played it portable I've heard pretty good things about it so I'm excited to play it too.

I heard it's like Candy Crush, except not made by sadists.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah Candy Crush. Addictive little bugger of a game. Now Doctor Who-ified? Can't wait to get Rose, 9 and Jack. Rose is the game for certain but not sure about the other two.

20. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I hope this first Capaldi season is a proper length, not the three or five episode then a break, *****.

Due to my hours of work, the times that the Horror channel in the UK have chosen to show early Doctor Who episodes, is completely no good to me, however, Sunday night, I caught the latter end of Jon Pertwee's Third Doctor intro Spearhead From Space serial on the Watch channel.

NEVER seen this, even though I remember the Third Doctor was the one I started on. The giant maggots of The Green Death was an enduring memory, and perhaps my earliest television one.

Bul-limey, production values (eg. onscreen violence) was robust in those days, people being mown down in the streets by Autons with their gun hands, doing proper rolling breakfalls on pavement slabs after getting shot in the back - Russell T Davies' version in Rose does not even compare.

For some reason, I thought this historic adventure was something to do with the Cybermen, till the plastic people started showing up.

My DW-buying is going to be aimed at the Jon Pertwee era for now, now that it has been brought home to me that there is stuff I have not even encountered before. Great experience. 10/10

I was thinking about that soldier girl from When A Good Man Goes To War, Lorna Bucket, and whether we would see her "encounter", with Capaldi, and wonder what he's going to be like with this, 'there was a lot of running' meme/theme that Moffat has introduced or highlighted recently.

That boxed set I bought recently, cos I was missing the last five Amy and Rory stories; my goodness, that feature commentary on the The Snowmen was the worst one that I have ever encountered since that twenty minute travesty on Strange Days

Multiple iterations on how a bit of cardboard was made up to look like wood, and moans that a location was too far away to use for all the filming, despite having everything you needed. Holy ****, could the production team have gotten a worst pair of dullards (in verbal delivery and subject matter rather than their everyday personas - I would hope) for the job.

Yes, I got to watch Angels Take Manhattan, Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, and Asylum of the Daleks again, but the apart from that, the rest of the package did not feel fit for purpose.

21. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Among the classics, Three is my favorite. I just love how he's so may things in one package: a sophisticate, a scientist, a martial artist, and a techie.

soitscometothis likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Sith-I-5 From everything that's been said thus far, it does look like we'll get an uninterrupted season plus the Christmas Special this year.

Rew likes this.
  23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    6.08: A Good Man Goes To War

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. "

Before the re-watch I didn't remember a whole lot about this episode and I can see why. It's an episode that attempts to be to epic and too grand but really has little to offer. Firstly, the score is needlessly loud and takes away from the tension in certain scenes such as when Rory is delivering his message to the Cybermen. The scene itself is well shot, well lit and well written but the score deprives the scene of any sense of foreboding or threat. On top of this you have more characters than necessary despite the fact that the Doctor is raising an army to rescue Amy and Melody. Part of the problem with this is that we don't get much time to acquaint ourselves with them. By the end of the episode they are either killed off or...just leave.

Then, the dialogue, much like the score, is over-egged. Yet again, Riversong warns us of a tragic day ahead where the Doctor will take the ultimate fall and where everything changes. Although the obvious revelation at the end of the episode is a game changer, we really didn't see the Doctor at his darkest or lowest. At the most you could possibly say that he was at his most human in that he raised an army. As per previous instalments, Riversong escapes from prison yet again, lets herself back in. The episode either goes needlessly too big or simply goes through the motions we've seen it do many times before.

In all fairness to A Good Man Goes To War, it does give us some of Rory's strongest moments as he really comes into his own. Matt's Doctor is mostly good but too often falls into his goofier Doctor when it's supposed to be the moment that he "falls further than he ever has." As usual, the mystery between him and Riversong still remains a mystery despite the revelation but it's around here that you are wishing they finally tie the loose ends.

It's not an atrocious episode though. Despite the overcrowding, there are some great characters here and the production is great. The sets and lighting suit the scenarios well and it addresses the arc so far quite well. It's just not quite the game changing cliffhanger that kept us begging for more. Rather, a setup for the next chapter - a decent one at that.

3 out of 5

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I love the episode, but it set up such great promise and set us up for a great fall with the second half of S6.

25. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I was going to go to Stonehenge tomorrow, but apparently if you book far enough in advance. And pay more. And get there at stupid o'clock in the morning, you can actually go inside the stone circle where Pandorica Opens was filmed. So I'll do that instead.

So, I have a free day tomorrow to go visit some other places. Watch this thread for piccies!