main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Shallow Grave is so awesome. It really is too bad Eccleston's such a tool, because I'd really really love to see 9 in this. Lame.

Also, I don't think Smith is taller than Tennant, I think it's just the angle and how they happen to be standing there. I've seen other pics of them side by side and Tennant was taller.

I talked to my brother about the 'Clara' thing last night. We tried saying 'Clah-ruh'. We agreed we sound like morons saying it that way. Also, his roommate happened to be playing the new Tomb Raider, where people in cut scenes referred to the character as Laura. And those are totally different names with different spellings. I'm just saying :p

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    wtf? I remember saying it "Laura" when I was a young kid but I remember being corrected. Hell, I think the movie adaptation gets it right. Not that I watch it every week or anything.

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think it's officially pronounced differently, but the voice actors don't always get it right. I'm just saying, in America the "ah" vowel in such a location sounds really odd. It's more a result of the fact that British English often uses that broader a vowel in many words. But because we hardly ever use it (unless you're from Boston), it sounds really unnatural and I think a lot of people just don't say it that way. This is a much bigger problem for the name Clara, though, because we have the same name with the same spelling and just a totally different pronunciation that fits in with the sounds of American English better.

I mean, it's pretty funny to me for Brits to insist we not pronounce it 'Claire-uh' when, for instance, they all change the pronunciation of Barack Obama's name to better suit themselves :p

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That Eccelstone pic reminds me of tbat possessed kid in Family of Blood.

Finally got to watch The Bells of St. John. Is anybody else disturbed by Ms. Kizler's ultimate fate?

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  6. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Just like it's hard for Americans to pronounce "can't" with a British accent--we can approximate the sound, but it sounds awful. :p

7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    It was definitely creepy; the GI must've taken her pretty early in her life.

I wonder if there's gonna be an overriding story with the GI this season?

Oh, the episode. It was a perfectly serviceable episode, with a great twist with the Doctor not being the one on the motorbike. 8/10. Next week looks fantastic.

8. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    As someone who has lived in England their whole life, I have no idea how else you would pronounce "Lara". :p
    Oh, definitely. I wonder how the GI is going to tie into Clara's overall mystery and, of course, the Question.

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Rewatching the episode right now. Anyone else find this line a little too foreshadowy?

"I saw a little girl."

"They must have taken an image from your subconscious, thrown it back at you. Ahh! Active camouflage."

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was the character from the book (BY AMY POND) the kid was reading, wasn't it? Am I missing something else?

V-2 likes this.
  11. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Besides that. I mean in the sense that I still think there's a LOT more to Clara right now than meets the eye.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  12. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Do we really need more to her than meets the eye though? I mean YOWZA!

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I think it's quite possible that Clara, or what the Doctor is seeing of Clara, is some kind of projection/messing with the Doctor's brain/feeding the Doctor a puzzle they know he will want to solve to intentionally lead him into a trap. The thing connected to this is called The Great Intelligence, after all. And I do think it's an overriding storyline, or part of it anyway. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them connected to The Silence and The Fall of the Eleventh, either. I'm still not convinced Matt Smith is doing another series after the 50th. I kind of hope so, but we'll see.

Miana Kenobi and Mar17swgirl like this.
  14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    He announced he's staying for 2014. Which doesn't guarantee an entire series, but that's a good chunk of one.

15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012

halibut likes this.
  16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    That was my first thought too!

17. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Don't know if we're keeping this in spoiler tags, but...official confirmation for....

Juliet316 and Ulicus like this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I got all excited, then annoyed it had been spoiled for me... then excited that if they're willing to reveal ALL THIS STUFF, what must they have waiting in the wings to actually surprise us?

Mar17swgirl and Random Comments like this.
  19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I wonder how big a role they'll have...

On an unrelated note, I've just come to realise how much I love the new TARDIS console room introduced in The Snowmen. It's so deliciously classic-era. I want one.

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    One?
    I'd take two....but I guess it is huge. :p
    Definitely my favorite of every TARDIS design ever...

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    "A woman in the shop gave it to me"

Woman in the shop =River perhaps?
    We know Alex is coming back as River sometime later in the season.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    So glad I was offline yesterday and missed BBCA's April Fools Joke. Bad BBCA, Bad Bad!

Also... I found another 50th anniversary pic from the read - through, this time with Jenna (nothing with Billie as of yet):

[​IMG]

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I don't know if it was ever posted here but I just found out the BBC was working on a Doctor Who animated series that they turned down at some point this year. Looks like it was being worked on by Dan Norton who was involved with the new Thundercats. He posted some stuff from his pitch to his Deviant art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure what anyone else in the thread would have made of such a thing, but I think it looked much better than the similarly fated Nelvana project from back in the 80's did.

[​IMG]

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Phillip Reeve has been announced as the Fourth Doctor e-book author.

Also
    [​IMG]

From somebody's twitter:

Ryan Farrell@ryanfarrr14h
    I've been waiting for three years to post this tweet: Matt Smith and David Tennant have arrived on set #dwsr

And additional Set photos, including a far away one of Tennant (as in, you can make out his face, barely, but no sight of a pinstripped suit):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Is that I the back of a redhead that I see there? *Hopefull*

Chewgumma likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Chewgumma likes this.