Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Now Discussing Peter Capaldi)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
  2. Miana Kenobi Costuming & Props Mod - Retired Admin

Manager
    star 8
    It was quoting Lion King that won me over.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Found this and thought it was adorable:

KamSolusar likes this.
  4. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7

[IMG]
  5. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  6. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    The Girl in the Fireplace:

I feel like I'm missing some background between Madame de Pompadour and the Doctor, maybe from the old series. But I liked the premise of this episode, with her childhood nightmares, the creepy ticking droids dressed up in period costumes, and the magic fireplace.

Madame de Pompadour is something else. [face_laugh] She planned to be the King's lover and put the moves on the Doctor as well. They did a good job casting the young King Louis; when I took French history for my major, I had gotten the impression that all the French kings were ugly as hell, but they made him look good.

I loved the return to the Versailles ball room and Reinette's line that "We are in the court of Versailles! And we are French!" And the Doctor's line about the French knowing how to party. My month in St Malo says that he is correct. It took awhile for my liver to recover from that trip. :p And again, creepy droid clowns trying to excise major organs from Rose and Mickey...although I'm still not sure what they wanted with Madame de Pompadour's brain...

The ending was sad. Madame de Pompadour wanting to see the stars...in spite of my cynical side thinking "What? Living in Versailles and ****ing the King of France isn't enough?", I was still sad for her, and I was especially sad for poor Louis when they carried her off in the hearse. "She'll be in Paris in six hours time." :_|
  7. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    You weren't alone. It wasn't a very sensical episode from a plot or a character standpoint IMO.
  8. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  9. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7

1) There is no listing describing just what episodes are in that box. All it says is that it's 3 discs and runs for 240 minutes. That's pretty lousy.
    2) This should have come out before the regenerations box set, with that being released with a copy of this year's Christmas special included.

As nice as these box sets look there is just no way around the fact that the BBC's approach to them have been a bit of a shambles.
    Last edited by Chewgumma, Jul 9, 2013
    mackpol likes this.
  10. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Should add that there are 50th anniversary spoilers in that link
  11. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Completely forgot about that when I posted, and now I'm outside the edit time.:oops:
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  13. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    That's actually... like... uncanny. I'm super impressed.

I've always been one of those people who was like "NO! NEVER RECAST ANY OF THE DOCTORS EVER!" but... seeing that? Wow. If the performance matches the look I, uh, would not complain if that incarnation of the First Doctor showed up in the show proper.
  14. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Finally finished Invasion of the Daleks. Beautiful ending
  15. Random Comments Force Ghost

star 5
    Has anyone mentioned the DWM 461 comic yet? (I think I might have missed a page or two.
    That ending!
    classic companion's fate (open)
    The wedding of Ian and Barbara! Finally!

Show Spoiler
    And the eleventh Doctor intentionally destroying the First Doctor's Chameleon Circuit to make sure the Blue Box became a symbol...
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    K-9 would be proud of you. :)
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Indeed. It was handled brilliantly.

And, now you get to join the choir of those Who fans wondering when he will bother to keep his promise... and at the same time end his inane "I am the last of my kind..." nonsense.
  18. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    He kept it in the audios, and I'd assume Susan was headhunted for the time war, anyway. :p
    V-2 likes this.
  19. V-2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I've heard that one. Not the worst 8th Doctor story, but... It could have been so much more.
    Ulicus likes this.
  20. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    The Rescue

Simple story designed to introduce us to the new companion, and it works quite nicely. The Deus ex Machina resolution was a bit disappointing, but we do get to see the Doctor's character shining through. Falling asleep during materialisation (first time we hear that word) is something I can picture the recent Doctors doing. And calling Barbara "Susan" was a lovely touch, brilliantly performed

The Romans

Well, what a fun romp that was! Fantastic writing for the characters who play off each other brilliantly. Perhaps it's the lack of Susan that has brought the Doctor out of his shell? He doesn't have to care for his family, so he can enjoy himself for. Some brilliant scenes. Loved the Doctor's fight. Loved the scooby-doo corridor chase. Loved the galley scenes. Loved all of it. And finally Tennant's line in Fires of Pompeii makes sense!
  21. EBSaints Force Ghost

star 6
    I watched the 7th Doctor story "Paradise Towers" this weekend. Not a bad one, but not the best either ... though I do have a softspot for 1980s Who. McCoy was still feeling his way through the role at this point and hadn't fully established his version of the Doctor yet.
  22. V-2 Force Ghost

star 4
    I truly hated that one at the time, the 7-year-old me didn't like Pex or the Kangs, or especially Bonnie Langford, but I've warmed to it since. I really loved McCoy at the time and still do... I still hate Langford.

Her character and performance in the audios is astonishingly good in comparison to the stiff panto acting we got on TV at the time, I'll give her that.

Top Sylv story for me has to be Ghost Light; I think it's one of the Best Doctor Who stories of any era.
  23. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I'll just leave this here:

24. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Notes that Everton will note that I am legally obliged to point out that he tweeted me
  25. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Everton wishes me to point out that he notes that halibut is legally obliged to point out that he was tweeted by Murray Gold.

Incidentally, we are currently cruising the Danube. :cool:
    Everton likes this.