main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Seems like Halibut was correct about the Christmas title:

The Time of the Doctor

Synopsis:
    Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe’s deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars. And amongst them – the Doctor. Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Was really really hoping for Silent Night.

Also, it's apparently going to be the 800th television episode of the show.

Was also coming to post this but forgot:

Kran Starborn and 07jonesj like this.
  3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, I just got done with that. It was almost like a sucker punch - went in expecting some interesting factoids, and got a sad old man movie. Broke my heart. :(

4. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Promo image for the Christmas Special
    [​IMG]

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Kind of like Romana taking the appearance of Princess Astra... or the Sixth Doctor just happening to look exactly like Maxil?

6. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Is he supposed to look very sinister and scary at least he looks that way in his eyes?

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Just got back from seeing Day of the Doctor at the theater in 3D! So much fun! Everyone in the audience was laughing and applauding. I haven't had an experience like that since...well...Star Wars, really. So much fun! Plus, my girlfriend made an Amy Pond kiss-a-gram outfit and got all kinds of attention. A ton of people wanted pics with her, relegating me to unglorified camera man status.

Great time! And I'm just young enough to be able to look forward to the 100th anniversary special! (There was a great joke about that during the pre-show).

8. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    And the 1st Doctor looking just like the Abbot of Amboise, and the 2nd Doctor looking just like Salamander, and Romana 1 looked just like Princess Strella. Nyssa (who wasn't even a Time Lord) looked just like Ann Talbot, Torchwood's Gwen Cooper looked just like the toothy lady in The Unquiet Dead.

I think that's everyone, excluding robot doubles & goo people. Anyone got any more?

Edit:
    Blimey I missed Steven Taylor looking just like Morton Dill!
    Edit 2:
    **** I missed the other 9th Doctor looking just like the Great Intelligence!
    And how could I forget Sir Keith Gold looking like Henry Gordon Jago and Col. Hugh?

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007

Judging from the spoilers I just read about the episode,
    yes, yes he is supposed to look sinister/scary

10. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013

I did always wonder where The Dark Doctor went that we saw sometimes throughout series 7.

11. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I feel like these "The X of the Doctor" titles are starting to wear a bit then. Anyone want to take a guess at the episode titles for season 8?
    - The Evening of the Doctor
    - The Hour of the Doctor
    - The Minute of the Doctor
    - The Late Afternoon Tea Time of the Doctor
    - The Hairdresser of the Doctor
    - The Unwashed Laundry of the Doctor

And so on. :p

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm hoping he falls so ill that we get a particularly timey wimey "The Doctor of the Doctor" episode.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    And perhaps he can be engaged in a life or death examination, and we'll witness The Proctor of the Doctor.

14. mackpol

mackpol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 30, 2002
    Another one, Martha looked just like that office worker who one of the first to be assimilated by the cybermen.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  15. mackpol

mackpol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 30, 2002
    In army of ghosts, sorry couldn't edit

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, RTD aloready used The Death of the Doctor for Eleven's apperance on The Sarah Jane Adventures.:p

But yeah, it's starting to become overdone. Was still hoping for Silent Night as the Christmas Special night. Especially given the trailer
    and the fact that it looks like we'll indeed see the Silence again.

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Really? You had to hide that "spoiler" after you couldn't stop saying "BOY I REALLY HOPE IT'S CALLED "SILENT NIGHT HINT HINT WINK WINK"?

18. Darth Lixiuus

Darth Lixiuus Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 5, 2013
    anyone here who knows what kind of motorcycle clara was riding?

19. Kran Starborn

Jul 19, 2013
    So I may have recruited another person into the emotional rollercoaster that is Doctor Who. One of my co-workers that I have become friends with said he would check out Doctor Who and see if he likes it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

Bonus points if you can see where Capaldi is in that image.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Okay.

[​IMG]

So what do I do with these points?

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Brilliant eagle eye.

Edit:
    Also note the Clock in the watchtower is almost approaching Twelve.

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    For those brave enough to look, here are seemingly legit spoilers for the Xmas Special. Enter at your own risk.

Christmas Special: (possibly called Time Of The Doctor)

There's a signal, a bell tolling, calling out through the universe and touching every race. Most races are inexplicably afraid, even Daleks Cybermen Angels etc. But our Doctor is, as ever, very curious! He and Clara follow the signal to a small, wooded, snowy place where they are attacked by Angels. The Doctor gets wounded and fears his leg is infected.

They meet a couple (Del's wife off Only Fools and Horses, and Eddie the Barman from Hustle) who explain that they are on the outskirts of Christmas Town, a quaint little place enfolded in a truth field which has always been there, seemingly naturally.

On closer examination and exploration the Doctor figures that the signal is emanating from the clock tower in the centre of town. Further investigation reveals that the planet is surrounded by enemies old and new, all wanting to crush the place.

Chatting with those in the know, the Doctor realises that this is Trenzalore! The enemies are holding back their attack for fear that the Doctor - through legend - will unleash the might of the Time Lords on them. The Daleks fear this the most. So, the Doctor decides he has no choice but to protect this innocent town (which just happens to house the target of the universal forces of evil) from utter destruction. He has to stay. He has to help!

Realising that this could take a while he sends Clara to safety in the TARDIS; she won't live for half the time this'll take to sort out... So now he's stranded there in Christmas Town. He takes up residency in the tower where he becomes something of a local celeb! The man who takes care of the town! He spends 300 or so years fighting the invading monsters, side by side with the Mainframe - both are defending the town, after an agreement was made in their mutual interest! He defeats Angels and Cybermen and Sontarans and who knows what else. All the while, the question is asked: Doctor Who?

Clara visits, with help, and finds the Doctor making and fixing toys for the children of the town. He's old. Aged. He's lost that infected leg, it turned to stone so had to go. Now he has a wooden one! And he also has a Cyberhead mate called Handles who keeps him company, keeps him chatting... The Doctor explains his situation to Clara (us) and we see the battles he is left to fight. An endless, bitter war. A war that could kill him; he has no regenerations remaining! This is his last life.

(When Kovarian said "an endless bitter war, against you!" In AGMGTW she didn't mean between the a Silence and him, but between him and everyone else, fought on the Silence's doorstep.)

The stalemate holds, the battle rages, the Doctor defeats all sorts of monsters. Until only the ever-defiant Daleks remain in position, waiting and waiting. 900 years of battle and waiting and waiting and more waiting. 900 years of not being able to end it all. The Daleks fear that if they attack then the Doctor will unleash the Time Lords and that means an end for them. If the Doctor leaves Christmas Town then the place burns with no deterrent. So both sides sit and wait... And wait... And wait...

Until the Doctor realises his time is up, his life is at an end. He has no regenerations left (thanks to Ten's vanity in Journey's End and Hurt's Recently revealed existence) so this really is the end. He takes his rage and frustration to the Daleks one last time: a last stand, an "I've got nothing, so kill me if you want" defiant eff-you. They close in on him when, inexplicably, a familiar crack of light opens in the sky and from it emerges a second chance! The Doctor is able, once more, to regenerate! Breaking all rules, it's going to be a hell of a light show! The exploding energy from his regeneration blasts Daleks all around, sending them burning into the wastes of space and the battleground around the town...

...thanks to the mysterious Tasha Lem, Clara has been shown this, from a distance, and - knowing he SHOULD just die - she's overjoyed that he appears to be changing once more. She races to where she saw it happen only to find the TARDIS, open, waiting... our story continues! Hopefully for another 50 years!