main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    She's actually a good actress. Her comedy isn't to my tastes (putting it mildly) and at the time that was all I knew her from. It's very unimaginative character comedy, for example a wilfully ignorant mouthy working class girl, an old grandmother who swears a lot, boring office friends, etc. I saw Donna as just another of these tired archetypes, but with less swearing and knob gags.

It all changed after series 4 though. She proved herself and I found myself really enjoying her work as Donna.

Rew likes this.
  2. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    In honor of Patrick Troughton's birthday today, this is what REALLY happened when 2 was given his "choices" for regeneration.

3. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    3.02: Smith and Jones

"Just one trip. To say thanks! You get one trip then back home. I'd rather be on my own."

Essentially Smith and Jones follows the same rhytms and beats as Rose. This is evident from the opening of the episode because not only is there no pre-credits teaser but the very first person we're introduced to is the companion to be; Martha. We're given a sense of her day to day life, the complications of family she experiences and are also given some contrast to Rose. To begin with she's a bit more she's single, a bit more middle class, has siblings and is quite educated. Martha is definitely likeable as a person for some of these reasons. She's definitely quite attractive and has an assertive personality, but as we'll see she can get a bit clingy. But I do love the introduction we're given to the Doctor and Martha, it comes as more of a surprise than Nine's "run for your life!"

Special mention has to go to David Tennant because this is where his character starts to really blossom. After the slow burning progress of his first season, we see him a lot more comfortable in the role where he seems a bit snappier, faster but manages to balance out his charming and investigative characteristics a lot better than in the season previously seen. I must admit, not that this is any fault of David's, but the kiss between him and Martha felt increadibly forced and out of place. It is later explained it was necessary for a genetic transfer but it just seemed like a crass way of doing it, especially since Ten is still mourning over the loss of Rose. This is where RTD's vision for the show took the romantic aspects a bit too far. Although the Doctor is travelling alone and so far has been established as the only survivor of the Time War, having a romantic element to his character it humanises him to the point that you forget he is an alien. Even Martha herself remarks that she doesn't believe he's an alien. The final impression of this is given when at the end he passionately declares that Martha is not "replacing" Rose. It just felt out of place.

Smith and Jones is also a favourite of mine because it introduces The Judoon. It's a shame we didn't see more of them as I love their voices, character design and of course the way they assimilate the English language. The design of their ships is a little uninspired though. certain elements of the plot felt rushed at times and the plot resolution is a little speedy, especially with the trick of using blood transfer. I doubt it would be enough to completely mask a person's identity, not to mention the health complications.

But overall it was a really good way to introduce Martha. A worthy new start for Ten.

4 out of 5

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    The Judoon reappear in SJA, by the way.

5. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Shame they weren't reused in DW. I haven't seen any of SJA.

6. KGA91

KGA91 Jedi Padawan

Mar 21, 2014
    Hello all! I am a fan of the good Doctor. Excited to see a page to talk about it!

halibut, V-2, darthcaedus1138 and 2 others like this.
  7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Start reading, you've got almost 370 pages to catch up on

:p

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Favorite Doctor? Favorite Companion? Favorite season? Episode? etc...

9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I think the deciding factor are asking "What are your thoughts on A Town Called Mercy?"

I'm still slowly working my way through Classic Who. I've managed to make it to Harnell's second season and just finished The Dalek Invasion of Earth. I'm kinda torn between being happy Susan's gone and being bummed at what a jerk move that was.

halibut and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  10. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I have such a big problem with how Susan went out. And the proceeding other female companions.

11. KGA91

KGA91 Jedi Padawan

Mar 21, 2014
    I'd have to say I am a fan of the Ninth Doctor. Companion has to go to the Ponds. Favorite Season is Series one with the Ninth Doctor. Episode has to be "Blink"

12. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    The Judoon do come back to DW.

Miana Kenobi - how can you feel happy about Susan leaving??

13. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012

Woah, almost my thoughts exactly. Despite Nine being my favourite of the post-McGann Doctors, I wouldn't say his series was quite my favourite overall but it definitely is an underrated gem in some places. Welcome aboard!

KGA91 and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    3.03: The Shakespeare Code

"Genius. He's a genius. The genius. The most human human there's ever been. Now we're gonna hear him speak. Always he chooses the best words, New beautiful, brilliant."

Series 3 continues very much a similar verse-chorus-verse approach to the layout of episodes for its season. We're now taking our first journey into the past with the new companion. This is basically Series 3's The Unquiet Dead or Tooth and Claw but not done nearly as well because the innovation isn't quite there due to the fact it repeats similar gimmicks that made the previous episodes to compelling. Just as Rose attempted to speak Elizabethan in Tooth and Claw, we see Martha trying her hand at Shakespearian which is met with disapproval from the Doctor. As with Charles Dickens in The Unquiet Dead, we see the Doctor and companion present themselves as fans. So, the setup is basically identical to the historical episodes we've come to know of the RTD era.

The biggest disappointment of this episode is unlike the previous two historical episodes, this one lacks atmosphere. Both The Unquiet Dead and Tooth and Claw had an eerie, subdued and dark breeze to it. This one hasn't got that. There's too much focus on camp sensibility and humour. Shakespeare is portrayed as a rock star, a cross between Bono and Mick Jagger. The witches are flirtatious while we further see an implied attraction from Martha to the Doctor. Regarding the latter, this falls flat because it does nothing to further develop their relationship. We see them sitting on a bed, Martha realises she won't be getting what she wants and that's the scene. We'll be seeing variations on this as the season progresses.

It's not overly a bad episode though, just lacklustre. Despite earlier criticism, I did enjoy the portrayal of Shakespeare because it was refreshingly different and it was quite charming. There were some genuinely funny moments, such as Martha attempting to get the Doctor's other heart working, only to punch the one that is working, while the plot did have some interesting ideas going for it. It would have been nice to get to know Shakespeare a little more. The mystery of the missing play was fantastic, but I would have liked to see more of his internal torment over the death of his son while trying to uphold his streak of perfection as an artist. Too much flair, not enough substance.

3 out of 5

DarthTunick likes this.
  15. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  16. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Cold War wasn't bad but I usually find he's a very inconsistent writer. Not quite as bad as Chris Chibnall mind you, but the prospect of Gatsis taking over as show runner is a worry.

halibut and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  17. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Gatiss seems to have a somewhat strong fan base for him as showrunner, but based off his episodes alone I wouldn't like to see that. Maybe he has good ideas for the show in general, but his episodes have run the gamut from bad to meh to only good.

Watching The Runaway Bride, and though historically I've hated Donna in this episode in particular....tracking with my surprising turn to love for her in series 4, I really actually like her quite a lot here. Surprising.

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Cold War is his one redeeming effort. But far too many poorly written episodes to be considered a good Who writer.

It's a shame, as his Sherlock writing is excellent. As was An Adventure in Space and Time. He just doesn't seem to click with DW

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  19. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    He's a good writer, I think the problem is he's too happy to do hackwork for RTD/Moff. He's one of the Virgin NA lot, he's done BFAs, his scifi credentials are impeccable (Nebulous, Quatermass, Jekyll, Clone, First Men in the Moon) he's earned his shot at showrunner (if he gets it), imo. His brand of dark humour is perfect for DW.

Unquiet Dead is pretty good. Better than any of the proper Christmas specials, it has a classic feel to it. I like Idiot's Lantern, I realise that's a minority opinion, but still. VotD is pretty bad, but considering it's a Dalek story, plus all the elements that were thrown at it that's understandable. I'm sure he didn't design the Power Ranger Daleks (which seems to be the main bone of contention for most people) and remember this is a story in which the Daleks actually win (which earns it a bit of Dalek story kudos). I'm pretty sure the theme of love saving the day is a Moff element rather than something Gatiss brought to the table.

Night Terrors isn't bad. It's like a good version of Fear Her. Cold War is very good and I really like The Crimson Horror. Mainly because of
    the penis monster:
    [​IMG]

Crimson Horror actually got really good reviews too.

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Susan bugged me. It's not her fault; it's just the way the character was written as whiney and helpless.

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But she invented the word TARDIS! ;)

Juliet316 and V-2 like this.
  22. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I think my problem would be that while some of his episodes are good, none of them rise to be highlights of the series. In that regard, I'd instead nominate Toby Whithouse.

halibut likes this.
  23. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Whithouse would be acceptable. I'm not fond of Being Human at all though, but I couldn't care less about Moff and Gatiss' Sherlock either.

24. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm fairly hot and cold on Being Human. I watched it all. and didn't enjoy more than 60% of it.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I lasted about two and a half minutes before the urge to change channel took over. Worse than Torchwood.