main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Happy Fish Fingers & Custard Day!!!

[​IMG]

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished season 6. Very strong season. Most favorite? Possibly. Still working out a couple things from the finale though.
    Loved the music along the way. Can't wait to start season 7.

V-2 likes this.
  3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Good to hear you liked it! Season 6 has mixed regard online, though I overall really love it and feel its one of the stronger of the revived series.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Still not sure what to think about Night Terrors (only episode I didn't care for)(Okay The Doctor's Wife was weird but it worked) but the Doll Rhyme thing at the end of the episode and the one's following were a nice touch. The whole, get a mystery at the start and then the Doctor has to figure it out plot works for me. Need to work out the timelines for the Doctor, River, etc.

5. mackpol

mackpol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 30, 2002
    Good luck with that :D

Force Smuggler and Juliet316 like this.
  6. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    3.09: Human Nature [Part 1]

"That's the Box. The Blue Box. It's always there. Like a magic carpet. This funny little box that transports me to faraway places."

Despite my undying love for this episode, I still haven't gotten around to reading the original novel to this episode which was initially a Seventh Doctor adventure with Ace (I think) as the assistant. Strangely enough I can't picture the episode being improved any with a Doctor other than Tennant's, maybe McGann being an exception. It certainly wouldn't really suit Eccleston's more battle-torn Doctor as the constant softer qualities would just clash with his Doctor that we got to know. Human Nature enables David Tennant to step outside of the character of the Doctor and further demonstrate his acting prowess. I only wish that he had gone with his native Scottish accent, just to add to the disguise.

This added, more experimental element to David's performance gives Freema something new to work with and enhances her usefulness as both a companion and friend. There still is the odd wrinkle concerning her love for him and though she does have some mopey moments, it does serve the fact that she has respect for the Doctor and does need his help. In fact, the performances all around are amongst the best in the show's history. Even the then newcomer, Thomas Sangster (who would eventually go on to play Tintin) eloquently portrays a vulnerable, haunted but eager student who longs for something beyond his immediate circumstances.

Adding to the nuances of the characters is the flawlessly British setting in the humble, green village. It's perfectly filmed, well scored and well paced. A very welcome change in tone to the season so far.

5 out of 5

Rew, halibut, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Series six is my favourite of the Smith era and yet... Night Terrors is ruddy awful.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not a bad episode but something felt off.

Jump to the episode with Craig and Stormaggedon. That episode worked.

mackpol I have it basically worked out for now. Season 7 might throw a wrench into that, so we will see.
    I think I have the whole time travel issue between the past versions of Amy, Rory and the Doctor and their present selves. Probably shouldn't be confused about it but then again maybe I should be. Thinking about it too much I guess.
    Also how could their be a regeneration in the scene? How did they realistically pull it off? Seems crazy to me. Also, the marriage. River married a robot. The Doctor was helping control it but really?

9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    River married a robot in an alternate universe. Above a train station in the pyramids at Giza. In Britain. It sounds even more ridiculous when you say it like that.

halibut, mackpol and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes it does. Doctor Who for you.

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Imma let you finish, but Sylvester McCoy was the best Doctor of all time.
    Agreed.

12. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Best 80s Doctor. I do like him, but can't quite agree with him as the best overall. That said, he did have a very promising development arc that may have been extraordinary if not for the show's cancellation in 1989. That is, if the Cartmel masterplan was anything to go by.

13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm fairly certain we'll disagree on Sylvester's ranking, but I haven't seen enough of his era to make that call just yet. I think Sixie will win Best 80's Doctor, at least for me. But I like what I've seen of all however-many-you-want-to-say.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Season 8 looks promising.

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    About ready to start A Town Called Mercy.

Rew, mackpol, V-2 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Susan is just fantastic in it.

Rew and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep.

[​IMG]

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Just remember, it's all uphill from here

20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That episode was not bad. I will watch it again at some point.
    Fear Her, The Idiot Lantern, Love and Monsters (maybe) are episodes I would watch less than ATCM.

The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe was not that bad. Not the best, Christmas Carol was, but not that bad. I do kind of miss the Christmas episodes taking place in London though.

Asylum of the Daleks was a good episode.

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship rocked! I will be watching that one again.

Can I just say that the 11th Doctor's 1st rule sucks? The Doctor always lies. I hate that. Don't wander off was so much better.

Juliet316 and mackpol like this.
  21. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Don't wander off is a LIE.

Juliet316 , Mar17swgirl and mackpol like this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    3.10: The Family of The Blood [Part 2]

"This doctor sounds like some, some romantic lost Prince. would you rather him? Am I not enough?"

From the perfect first instalment comes the almost perfect second half of the story. The episode builds upon the strengths of the first episode in terms of continuing the flow of outstanding performances and keeping the characters interesting. Typically in the second half of a two-parter, the characters somehow vanish or fall into a slump. But, in Family, they continue to develop, Timothy especially who serves as a very worthy male companion. The scene in the cottage between John Smith and his lover where it is realised that she needs to let go and John Smith needs to die is just heartbreaking.

I also enjoyed seeing the burning fury of the time lord as he sentences the family one by one. Meanwhile, the very finish of the episode with an ageing Timothy at a memorial service with the Doctor and Martha looking on still brings a heaviness to the eyes.

If I had to complain about anything, it's the resolution where an intentionally bumbling Doctor flips all of the exposed panels necessary to overload the ship. The Family just simply stand and stare at him. But all of the other stuff saves this, frankly, tacky and annoying moment.

Doctor Who two-parters do not get much better than this. Like I said, nearly perfect.

4.5 out of 5

V-2, halibut and Juliet316 like this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah HN/FoB is definitely one of the best if not the best put together two parters of New Who. (though I would probably put The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang a close second. More on that when we get there).

24. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I didn't like the punishment scenes at the end at the time, it felt a bit shoehorned... It didn't fit with the style of the rest of the production and it was somewhat out of character too. I can't even see 7 at his darkest doing something like that.

I've warmed to it a little since then, but the mirror bit still makes my eyes roll.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  25. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I'm just trying to figure out why some relatively low-grade, one-shot villains get such terrible punishments, but, later on, the Master, who's got more blood on his hands than pretty much anybody, nearly gets what amounts to probation and house arrest.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.