main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Russell T. Davies returns)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    halibut

I have your old sig stuck in my head, but want to change it to "they are not songs, they're cues or STRAX. But it just doesn't work.

halibut likes this.
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Well, once the new laptop my brother bought earlier this week is ready-for-use, I can actually make use of online streaming for programs (beyond YouTube) once again. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  5. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Still ghastly.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    The more I hear it, the more I like it. The 'screeching' is now my favourite bit!

7. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I actually really like the new theme tune, much more than I like the visuals. But it still needs the middle 8.

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    After watching Deep Breath about three times, I now really love the theme (and everything else about the episode).

TX-20 likes this.
  9. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    The screeching would work were it

A) in tune
    B) not wobbling about all over the place after holding a long note

Rebel_Padawan likes this.
  10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's deliberately disconcerting, then. Look I dunno, it works when I hear it. Plus, you know... wobbly. Wibbly wobbly.

Don't know without checking, but I guess it's the work of Murray Gold?

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    It is Mr Gold, yes.

But at least you acknowledge it's disconcerting. It's meant to be ethereal, not disconcerting. It sounds 'off', which has never been the case before, and IMO shouldn't be the case for what is probably the most iconic theme of all time.

V-2 likes this.
  12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's meant to be ethereal? Hmm. I should think it could be anything it likes, at least within the confines of the genre. Disconcerting seems as valid as ethereal, certainly.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Everton, I do not think you understand musical STRAX! As well as hibbybit.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe it's meant as a clue that something might be 'off' with this new Doctor? Maybe?

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Or, maybe they consciously made the decision to produce the song that way for reasons as simple as it has a very classic science fiction feel to it. The warble at the end of long notes is not at all dissimilar to the classic theremin-composed soundtrack to The Day The Earth stood Still. I don't merely like this version... I appreciate it far more than any other recent variations on the theme.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There is nothing off with this Doctor. He's Peter Capaldi.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    You don't stream it either. That's ghastly.

I just got new surround speakers myself. Old ones blew out right before Deep Breath. I will be excited to rewatch it now that I can actually hear it all properly, but not sure I want to hear the new theme better :p We shall see.

18. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The reason as-to-why I didn't do that, why we're getting a new laptop to begin with, is that our current one is too fried... it doesn't handle prolonged video playing well, etc. Streaming -which has effected more this year concerning the Dodgers, but that's a whole different thing :p- just isn't a viable option. The new one is currently with a more tech-savvy member of the family, one whose installing many top-shelf programs on it for free... we're picking it up on Sunday.

Thus, with episode 3 of series 8, streaming will be a viable option for me... if I'm awake at that time, though, or otherwise at-home (as the live stream via BBC occurs what, between 9am-12pm PST?).
    :p

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Not that I don't have sympathy for people with the disorder, but if that line of 'argument' is adhered to the show ought to ensure it never has any scenes high atop a building or mountain for fear of upsetting those who suffer from vertigo. Or never shows a messy room in case people with OCD are upset. Or never shows anyone drinking for fear of setting a recovering alcoholic back.

21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm not sure if I agree that Strax has made other Sontarans look bad.

The others we see are "on the job", actively engaged in a war, invasion, or putting all their energies into survival / getting spacecraft so they can get the heck off the planet.

Strax is pretty much the only Sontaran that I can recall seeing with time on his hands, so he has the opportunity to have to try to deal with boys and girls at a level of more than just "the enemy"; time to talk and engage with people...

Actually, you know, I think Strax is the first subordinate Sontaran I can recall with a speaking roll. All the others have been Field Marshalls, Commanders, officers basically. In the Sontaran Stratagem, anyone less than a senior officer kept their helmet on, and didn't say anything. They marched, shot, fell over, that's it.

True, Strax is a Commander, but compared to the Doctor and Vastra, he is not in charge: "Sir, I appear to have been run over by a cab!"

For me, in the back of my mind, regardless of the story the show is spinning, I have a strong feeling that Strax was killed at Demon's Run, but that tiny minisode clip when we see the Doctor head and shoulders above a group of marching Sontarans was him getting another clone body; maybe transfer memories across somehow. Ask Vastra and Jenny to maintain the idea that Strax had only fainted when the Headless Monk stabbed him in the back.

Fainted, my ****.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. halibut

Aug 27, 2000

You should have kept the line "That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read"

mackpol likes this.
  23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I decided that, in the grand scheme of things, it's not. But thanks for the blatant disregard of my edit. :p

Diggy likes this.
  24. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Any time :)

25. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Klingons would not have a sulk because two warring sides would not let them "join in".