Amph Doctor Who Discussion (Now Discussing Peter Capaldi)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Oh dear lord I'm not going to get any sleep this Con, am I?
  2. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Well I got there at like 4am last year and by the time the Who panel rolled around I was probably 15 rows back. So not too bad. I mean, had I been moving forward by myself and more aggressively I'm sure I could have gotten closer, but I was on the aisle with an unobstructed view so I didn't want to do that.

But yes, I suspect that one's going to need an especially early morning commitment this year if they do some 50th anniversary stuff. I am really, really hoping that they do some kind of special panel and that David Tennant can be there [face_praying]
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    However, both series/seasons of K9 are vital. Go watch them or you will not comprehend anything you see or hear on DW from 2010-onward.
    Ulicus likes this.
  4. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    Well, K9 had certainly be met with better treatment on Back to Earth than his criminal reception on Weakest Link. :mad:
    Last edited by A Chorus of Disapproval, Jan 9, 2013
  6. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I've only just noticed that there's a Quiz of the Year on the Doctor Who website. It's fun to play. As you play the quiz you are treated to the occasional video clip. I was shown 'Songtaran Carols', which made me laugh. A lot. I'd not seen it before, so I wondered how many here had missed it, too:

:p
  7. Chewgumma Chosen One

star 7
    I'm pretty sure I posted it here. :p

I love how Neve McIntosh is struggling to keep a straight face throughout the whole thing.
    Random Comments, Ulicus and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Ah well my apologies. :p I must've missed it. Based on it I have the impression that each of Strax's lines in 'The Snowmen' required many, many takes. :p
    Random Comments and Chewgumma like this.
  9. Everton Chosen One

star 10
  10. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Bless you, Strax, you wonderful human Sontaran being... [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]
  11. Asterix_of_Gaul Force Ghost

star 5
  12. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    Still love that episode.
    MrZAP likes this.
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Yeah. There's a character who would definitely bear another appearance. Her showing in that episode just begged for more.
  14. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Absolutely. Rita was awesome, and I would've LOVED it if she became a new companion. Pity she died... :(
    MrZAP likes this.
  15. Everton Chosen One

star 10
  16. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
    Rita would've made an excellent companion. Maybe just for one series, but still.

Rita: This is Jahannam
    Doctor: You're a Muslim!
    Rita: Don't be frightened.

Rita: Pupils are dilated. They are as surprised as we are. Besides which, if it is a trick it'll tell us something.
    The Doctor: Oh you're good. Oh, she's good. Amy, with regret, you're fired.
    Amy: What?
    The Doctor: I'm kidding. {to Rita} We'll talk.
    It certainly isn't stopping Clara.
    Last edited by darthcaedus1138, Jan 10, 2013
    Rew, Ulicus, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  17. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    Good morning Whovians! Quite enjoyed the Christmas episode that is all,

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk
    halibut likes this.
  18. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
  19. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I saw that. Pretty fantastic. I might have to give that a listen. That's a crazy impressive cast list. *awaits the one for the show*

Put me on the list of folks who would have loved to see Rita as a companion. That had to be one of the more devastating deaths in an episode for me.
  20. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, I agree, Rita's death seemed like such a wasted opportunity. She seemed exactly the kind of person the Doctor takes on as a companion. Oh well, maybe TenII and Rose encounter her double in the alternate universe and they all defend the Earth together.
  21. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I don't know if it's a wasted opportunity. I think it was something you were supposed to feel pretty bad about. Sort of like Astrid's death (though obviously you knew Kylie wasn't going to be a companion). Obviously I didn't think he'd take Rita with him right then, but it did feel like someone they might be able to come back to in the future. However, as far as showing just how sad some of the Doctor's encounters and friendships can wind up being, it was highly effective. And it's the thing that triggers the Doctor pulling back from Amy and Rory, beginning the slow separation from them and allowing them to being their normal lives.
    Mar17swgirl and Everton like this.
  22. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    There is a difference between hating a show, and hating what has been done to it or with it. Does the OT suck just because the prequels sucked? no.
    I do not hate all of NuWho.

Season 1 was good (in spite of Rose).
    Season 2 was great (in spite of Rose).
    Season 3 was bloody amazing.
    Season 4 was still good.
    2 of the 5 specials were good, but the RTD burnout is clearly showing.
    Season 5 had the first 2 episodes, then turned to utter crap so bad I was ready to abandon the show after watching it for 25 years.
    Season 6 was just barely enough better for me to wait.
  23. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    I can't understand the thought processes of someone who considers Series 2 to be "great", yet thinks most of Series 5 to be "utter crap". Or take them seriously. I'm sorry, but I can't.
  24. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'll be happy to explain it.
    But honestly, I already have. Repeatedly.
  25. Mar17swgirl Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, please don't.
    halibut likes this.